Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1834201 times)

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2175 on: July 02, 2015, 06:29:53 pm »

As opposed to a fluke used only as a result of suicidal disappointed nobles and useful civilians angered by player ineptitude.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Shashu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2176 on: July 02, 2015, 10:32:40 pm »

We should have our first adventure mode performers trying their very best to entertain the community in a few days.

Does this mean that Toady will be testing adventurer mode performers next? Or does it mean that we might see a release in the next few days?

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2177 on: July 03, 2015, 10:38:13 am »

Almost certainly the former.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2178 on: July 04, 2015, 11:41:00 pm »

Will a dwarf keep him/herself from consuming an unhealthy amount of booze?
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Alfrodo

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_STUPID]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2179 on: July 05, 2015, 01:44:04 am »

Will a dwarf keep him/herself from consuming an unhealthy amount of booze?

They don't understand cause and effect with respect to syndrome emotions, so they don't know how to self-medicate.
Bins stacked full of mangoes were laid out in rows. On further inspection of the market, Cog came to the realization that everything was mangoes.

Whatsifsowhatsit

• Bay Watcher
  • Big geek
    • View Profile
« Reply #2180 on: July 05, 2015, 06:57:10 am »

Thanks for the answers, Toady! They inspired some more questions for me.

Quote from: thedrelle
will this mean that some dwarves will use alcohol in extremis to deal with grief? will there be booze suicide spirals now?

They don't understand cause and effect with respect to syndrome emotions, so they don't know how to self-medicate.

Will this kind of thing still be implemented in the future? I'm particularly interested in seeing it used against not just grief/trauma, but also fears and phobias. (It's not wise, but it happens.)

Quote from: Max^TM
Will barfights inspire troubles later on or is it forgive and forget type stuff for non-serious brawling?

Is it possible for dwarves of certain personality types to bond over tavern brawls, rather than have it be always solely a negative factor in their relationship?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 08:15:36 am by Whatsifsowhatsit »

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2181 on: July 05, 2015, 09:09:17 am »

Toady, because of the schedule conflicts you've had with Rainseeker and Captaintastic, would you ever be open to inviting other forum members to DFtalk?

I recall you saying that the new format of the podcast would follow a more question and answer style now, which is certainly fine, but I also wouldn't mind having other DF-minded individuals to ask good questions when appropriate. A lot of useful information has come out from the dialogs you've had with Rainseeker and Captain.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2182 on: July 06, 2015, 10:48:52 pm »

Oh god, adventurer performances make more sense than I was thinking at first.

Will it be possible to spread knowledge of your deeds/increase your fame through these performances? Will the success of doing so depend on your skill in the performance?

So just basic telling people will work as it does, while blowing people away with a bardic tale and dance will lead to it being spread faster/people recognizing the tale itself and not just the deed?

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2183 on: July 07, 2015, 03:00:03 am »

Bit of an obvious question, but will performances affect your fame, and will that mean you can get more people to follow you? Also, is fame one absolute value for each civ, or will a bard be able to get more singers than spearmen as companions?
One wheel short of a wagon

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2184 on: July 07, 2015, 04:11:56 am »

Happy birthday DF2014. One year old today!

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2185 on: July 07, 2015, 07:27:45 am »

Bit of an obvious question, but will performances affect your fame, and will that mean you can get more people to follow you? Also, is fame one absolute value for each civ, or will a bard be able to get more singers than spearmen as companions?
Well if you can gain fame, then it's now the only way to do so without also being known as a killer by everyone, so there's that at least already.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2186 on: July 07, 2015, 07:40:41 am »

Rescuing people, dude. And killer doesn't mean much, nobody minds, people admire you if you kill dangerous megabeasts, even if they worshipped them. Murdering people will make you famous in a different way from this, so I wondered if there would be a third way to get famous.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2187 on: July 07, 2015, 11:38:56 am »

Oh god, adventurer performances make more sense than I was thinking at first.

Will it be possible to spread knowledge of your deeds/increase your fame through these performances? Will the success of doing so depend on your skill in the performance?

So just basic telling people will work as it does, while blowing people away with a bardic tale and dance will lead to it being spread faster/people recognizing the tale itself and not just the deed?
It'd be hilarious to get fame from a masterful telling of a rather pedantic achievement.  Basically the beginning of stand-up comedy and/or motivational speakers.

"So he killed a dingo.  And?"
"I guess you just had to be there."
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2188 on: July 07, 2015, 12:08:28 pm »

Even more so events like the masterwork stone mugs:

This is an oak wood billboard. The inscription on the billboard reads,

Tonight, Urist "Stonecrafter-12" Roofbodice come all the way from Highanvil to perform his one-man semiautobiographical play,
"How I Mastered the Gabbro Goblet, and Other Metamorphic Merchandise".
This play refers to the creation of a masterwork gabbro mug in Highanvil by the dwarf Urist "Stonecrafter-12" Roofbodice, in the summer of 295.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2189 on: July 07, 2015, 01:48:03 pm »

Regarding multi-species fortresses:
Dwarves are typically highly racist and isolationist, making multi-species forts a rarity in fantasy.  How will that be reflected in-game, do we get different racism values between civs or options to have a dwarf-only fort?

You've mentioned that drunkenness is related to bodysize, but that suggests that humans will be less likely to be drunk than dwarves, which sounds backwards. Especially since alcohol functions like water in dwarven biology (otherwise they would not suffer slowness when drinking only water). Will there be a method by which dwarves are less susceptible to drunkeness? 
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 306