Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 153 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1834140 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2250 on: July 26, 2015, 12:36:33 am »

Quote from: Toady One
This doesn't impact specific ethics yet, so you won't have to worry that an elf-written book will make all your dwarves start eating dead bodies, but such a thing is now threatened for a later date by these changes.
Thus were the book burnings and inquisitions of later versions set in motion.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #2251 on: July 26, 2015, 12:40:36 am »

Quote from: Toady One
This doesn't impact specific ethics yet, so you won't have to worry that an elf-written book will make all your dwarves start eating dead bodies, but such a thing is now threatened for a later date by these changes.
Thus were the book burnings and inquisitions of later versions set in motion.

book burnings? armok no, think about it, think of all the elf, and goblin bone bolts.
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

falcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2252 on: July 26, 2015, 12:46:17 pm »

Just to clarify: if a philosophical outlook becomes popular can it change civilization or individual values now? Or do they just become familiar with a value position in order to write a reply? Can a goblin civilization be won over to the value of art or ...craftsgoblinship?

It's not quite as exciting as an ethics shift, but it'd be kind of neat to set your most radical dwarves to creating philosophical treatises and watch moods change in your fort. Especially if it can impact things like religiosity that determine needs.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2253 on: July 26, 2015, 07:18:27 pm »

Do you plan to add randomly generated books of magic(not just necromancy)?

It would be interesting if gods didn't have only one type of controlled magic to bestow.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #2254 on: July 27, 2015, 09:14:58 am »

Do you plan to add randomly generated books of magic(not just necromancy)?

It would be interesting if gods didn't have only one type of controlled magic to bestow.

Eventually, yes. That may be a topic Toady hits in the World-Gen Artifacts releases, even.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2255 on: July 27, 2015, 09:45:01 am »

Would be possible to have some impromptu poem or sing a song made on the fly on a conversation, you know, in the sake of the arts of seduction?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2256 on: July 27, 2015, 09:52:39 am »

Would be possible to have some impromptu poem or sing a song made on the fly on a conversation, you know, in the sake of the arts of seduction?
Anyone who taunts Giant Cave Spiders with Tomnoddy and Attercop will be summarily executed :)
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2257 on: July 28, 2015, 10:38:12 am »

Why are goblin sieges so small? The largest one I've seen had 30 goblins. In the previous version the sieges were much larger, and armies in world gen seem to consist of hundreds or even thousands of soldiers.
They at least can be larger than 30, but reports of this are rare and tend to be from fairly long lived forts.

Will goblin warriors become more skilled in the future?
More highly trained attacking soldiers when approprate
From the improved sieges \section of the dev page.

I just got a siege of 90 goblins and trolls at my DF2014 fort. (Though it is a dozen years old, and at a point where a siege that size was a mere inconvenience rather than a challenge)
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".

Alfrodo

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_STUPID]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2258 on: July 28, 2015, 10:48:46 am »

Why are goblin sieges so small? The largest one I've seen had 30 goblins. In the previous version the sieges were much larger, and armies in world gen seem to consist of hundreds or even thousands of soldiers.
They at least can be larger than 30, but reports of this are rare and tend to be from fairly long lived forts.

I just got a siege of 90 goblins and trolls at my DF2014 fort. (Though it is a dozen years old, and at a point where a siege that size was a mere inconvenience rather than a challenge)

You are a lucky man.  I have to get my founding dwarves to sneak into goblin territory to get that.

Will reading philosophy books in adventure mode modify your own adventurer's values / ethics?
Bins stacked full of mangoes were laid out in rows. On further inspection of the market, Cog came to the realization that everything was mangoes.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2259 on: July 28, 2015, 08:57:12 pm »

You are a lucky man.  I have to get my founding dwarves to sneak into goblin territory to get that.

Will reading philosophy books in adventure mode modify your own adventurer's values / ethics?
Probably, there are recorded instances where the player's pawn, is crying from the action that the player is forcing the pawn to do, as it violates their mores and ethics. Though Toadyone and ThreeToe have said that they wouldnt ever make the game prevent a player's action because it went against morals and ethics.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Alfrodo

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_STUPID]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2260 on: July 28, 2015, 09:57:19 pm »

Probably, there are recorded instances where the player's pawn, is crying from the action that the player is forcing the pawn to do, as it violates their mores and ethics. Though Toadyone and ThreeToe have said that they wouldnt ever make the game prevent a player's action because it went against morals and ethics.

So I could get my adventurer to read Goblin philosophy to make them not sad?

Excellent.
Bins stacked full of mangoes were laid out in rows. On further inspection of the market, Cog came to the realization that everything was mangoes.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2261 on: July 28, 2015, 10:20:12 pm »

So I could get my adventurer to read Goblin philosophy to make them not sad?

Excellent.

Unless the raws have been changed, Goblins don't get sad because they're incapable of empathy. Its quality of their creature.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2262 on: July 30, 2015, 05:13:18 pm »

Quote from: Spish
Since wild animal men are now eligible for immigration, will it also be possible to mod feral creatures like, for instance, gnomes and trolls to be able to join civilizations?

It'll be possible to mod it, though only gorlaks have the setting in vanilla.  The game doesn't recognize animal people in any special way -- I've just put a new creature tag in their creature variation (and the gorlak def).
A tag, you say? Is it possible for intelligent megabeasts/semimegas to join civilizations, or perhaps even player fortresses in this manner?
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2263 on: July 30, 2015, 11:01:58 pm »

Newest dev update mentions forming performing troupes and being able to kick people out of them.

You can actually form a band and go from town to town trying to get famous.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2264 on: July 31, 2015, 01:42:14 am »

With the worlds of Dwarf Fortress being somewhat dangerous, is it possible to hire fighting types with no real interest in the arts to join your troupe as bodyguards?
Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 153 ... 306