Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1834235 times)

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2355 on: August 21, 2015, 01:07:35 am »

Will it be possible for expert soldiers to take apprentices instead of following normal barracks training routines (eventually)? Fighting styles as a later goal are listed on the dev page, and I was wondering if veteran soldiers could eventually take some less seasoned troops and teach them a new method they came up with, or just give them general training in a more direct way than the usual.
He answers this question right in blog post. Generalized Apprentice Master relationship will take more work, and they'll work on it later.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #2356 on: August 21, 2015, 03:48:05 pm »

Can we mod random beast/interactions generator? I would like to change undead stats and give bigger cooldown for webbers, it is possible to mod GCS like this, but not random beasts. Is it possible to add this generators in raws?
Eventually that should happen, but not in the foreseeable future. Toady has mentioned a few times that dragons are a prime target for "raw-based" random generation.

will people be able to get married outside of their respective species in the new version?
Very unlikely. The work Toady did was mostly to make multiracial fortresses work from what he said, not to expand the existing multiracial entities. If it does happen, it'd be probably an unintended behavior.

Will there be cursed NPCs that seek a cure, seek to hurt as few people as possible and even some that seek to spread the curse more than they want to kill?

Edit: To clarify I'm only talking about NPCs cursed with the werebeast/vampire curse.
The first would require that there are cures. I'd expect that it's an eventual goal that some werecurses/vampires allow struggling against the monster side or embracing it for ambitions more, as those are pretty common tropes in stories.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Sefzaps

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2357 on: August 21, 2015, 05:14:47 pm »

Will scholars be attracted to your fortress based on what literature you have? As in, if you have a lot of books related to medicine will you get visitors with medical skills looking to study there? Perhaps we'd finally have a reliable way to train doctors.

falcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2358 on: August 22, 2015, 09:11:47 am »

Will scholars be attracted to your fortress based on what literature you have? As in, if you have a lot of books related to medicine will you get visitors with medical skills looking to study there? Perhaps we'd finally have a reliable way to train doctors.

Knowledge has no impact on skills, so even if your scholars know all about medicine they won't be any better at bone-setting or anything else used in fort mode.

Alfrodo

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_STUPID]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2359 on: August 22, 2015, 10:02:27 am »

Knowledge has no impact on skills, so even if your scholars know all about medicine they won't be any better at bone-setting or anything else used in fort mode.

Makes sense, Just because I researched masonry for a while on Google doesn't mean I become good at it.
Bins stacked full of mangoes were laid out in rows. On further inspection of the market, Cog came to the realization that everything was mangoes.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2360 on: August 22, 2015, 10:42:11 am »

Seeing at how the worst murdering rampages/crimes can be done in complete impunity in adventure mode, will there be something done about it in next version that is more appropriate than those "spits" or calling one a murderer without any more consequence ?
Will there be real consequence to a NPC/player actions making himself "enemy" to a civ ? And with civs getting different ethics than an entity, will the enemity propagate toward other allied civs or will it stay local only ?

Will we see in the future the justice system of the fortress mode taking effect in adventure mode too with some kind of guard/hammerer/assassins squads dispatched by location leaders to bringing people to justice for minor crimes or trying to put a lethal end to their murder spree ?

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2361 on: August 22, 2015, 12:01:48 pm »

I think they mean training doctors by getting doctors to migrate to your fortress with your medical library, and then as Toady said in the dev blog " During research discussions, if somebody is better at skills associated to the topic and has broader knowledge, the dwarves (or permanent residents) can decide to strike up an arrangement. This will allow scholars to teach their students directly, and they can teach all of their present apprentices at once to speed things up"
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2362 on: August 22, 2015, 06:09:37 pm »

Seeing at how the worst murdering rampages/crimes can be done in complete impunity in adventure mode, will there be something done about it in next version that is more appropriate than those "spits" or calling one a murderer without any more consequence ?
Will there be real consequence to a NPC/player actions making himself "enemy" to a civ ? And with civs getting different ethics than an entity, will the enemity propagate toward other allied civs or will it stay local only ?

Will we see in the future the justice system of the fortress mode taking effect in adventure mode too with some kind of guard/hammerer/assassins squads dispatched by location leaders to bringing people to justice for minor crimes or trying to put a lethal end to their murder spree ?

I eagerly await being able to become the enemy of a civilization and have adventurers go on quests to track me down, military squads be dispatched when they fail, and diplomats eventually arriving to ask me politely to stop killing everyone.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2363 on: August 22, 2015, 11:02:05 pm »

I eagerly await being able to become the enemy of a civilization and have adventurers go on quests to track me down, military squads be dispatched when they fail, and diplomats eventually arriving to ask me politely to stop killing everyone.
On that note, when can we expect to see smaller entities (bandits and criminal organizations, animal men tribes, rebels) and roaming encounters (*) interacting with our fortresses directly? Is that type of thing covered with the whole visitation dealie?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 09:13:57 pm by Spish »
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #2364 on: August 23, 2015, 03:25:32 am »

Is the current difficulty of the living dead (particularly zombies raised in worldgen) intended? For that matter, are goblins/etc supposed to be as weak as they are currently?
GM of Trespassers V2.
I'm writing a science fantasy story. Mostly hiatused due to life stuff.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2365 on: August 24, 2015, 07:54:31 am »

When will better conversation be on the cards?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 09:00:52 am by Novel Scoops »
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2366 on: August 24, 2015, 07:59:29 am »

When will conversation be on the cards?

Huh? Do you mean in fortress mode?
One wheel short of a wagon

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2367 on: August 24, 2015, 09:12:45 am »

When will conversation be on the cards?

Huh? Do you mean in fortress mode?
To be fair, I've never noticed a dwarf say "It was inevitable" in fortress mode.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2368 on: August 24, 2015, 09:19:00 am »

I think conversations are related to time schemes in fortress mode: you see everything speeded up, so it would only be relevant to have your information slowed down enough to have individual sentences if you were pausing or examining something in slow motion.

Pausing = the thought/quotes on personality page, and slow motion = combat reports. Where they do randomly talk. To their enemies.

The latter is pretty limited, to be fair. The only times they don't do generic fear statements is when they choose to say something totally inappropriate. It's actually pretty rude to tell someone that you have no hope after getting sunburn if you've just hammered their spinal column through their guts.
One wheel short of a wagon

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2369 on: August 24, 2015, 09:27:29 am »

I think conversations are related to time schemes in fortress mode: you see everything speeded up, so it would only be relevant to have your information slowed down enough to have individual sentences if you were pausing or examining something in slow motion.

Pausing = the thought/quotes on personality page, and slow motion = combat reports. Where they do randomly talk. To their enemies.

The latter is pretty limited, to be fair. The only times they don't do generic fear statements is when they choose to say something totally inappropriate. It's actually pretty rude to tell someone that you have no hope after getting sunburn if you've just hammered their spinal column through their guts.
I get why there's no routine conversation in fortress mode (it's not like the entity has [TRANSLATION:OLD_ENTISH]), but it'd be nice to see topics of conversation pop up on the Thoughts and Preferences screen (Urist felt pride discussing her battle with a cave dragon.).  I think think the bardic tales in the upcoming release will go a long way in that regard, but the reality is there are some people who really do just like to hear themselves talk.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 306