Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1834508 times)

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2415 on: September 03, 2015, 05:42:43 am »

Quote from: golemgunk
Will regular creatures with the building destroyer tag be cursed from toppling statues?

Will temple defilers be cursed 100% of the time?

Yeah, I think a strategic temple might be bad for an invasion force.  This mechanic will certainly need to be updated as we go along, at least in terms of consecrating the temple so it can't be placed instantly through the interface as if that somehow communicates with the gods directly.
Of course, players exploiting strategically placed temples run the risk of attackers being "cursed" with undeath or vampiric status, which would just mean they're now even harder to deal with.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Lightman

• Bay Watcher
  • The groboclones are looking for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2416 on: September 03, 2015, 01:44:12 pm »

Cheers Toady.

Oh and some repetition of information in the DF Talk episodes is not unwelcome. It's nice to hear people talk about their projects and it can give a differently nuanced sense of things.

I agree. If it came to one-or-the-other, I'd rather have Toady and ThreeToe read their Future of the Fortress, instead of posting on this thread (and call it a 'DF talk').  I find it much more cumbersome digging through this giant thread, if I want to view something I missed in the past.  Of course, if they prefer doing a post to a recording, that's understandable.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #2417 on: September 03, 2015, 03:57:20 pm »

Cheers Toady.

Oh and some repetition of information in the DF Talk episodes is not unwelcome. It's nice to hear people talk about their projects and it can give a differently nuanced sense of things.

Indeed; very often enough time has passed since the first Talk to make even a reiteration a welcome confirmation that the game (or a given aspect of it) is on the same path. And more often than not, rephrasing old information allows for better inference of intent, which is valuable to consider when dealing with a project this size.

I agree. If it came to one-or-the-other, I'd rather have Toady and ThreeToe read their Future of the Fortress, instead of posting on this thread (and call it a 'DF talk').  I find it much more cumbersome digging through this giant thread, if I want to view something I missed in the past.  Of course, if they prefer doing a post to a recording, that's understandable.

Or both. Both is good (if perhaps more work than Toady wants to do.)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2418 on: September 03, 2015, 05:48:45 pm »

Ah, excellent to see all this progress, will be glad to see all the Fun that will ensue in .40.25.

I'm wondering though, as anyone looked into the "gauntlet bug" (http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=6273) along the way?
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2419 on: September 03, 2015, 07:09:55 pm »

I think improving memory/cache performance would be easier to do than multithreading.

Anything would be really nice. The features are great but I can't get over the worsening FPS issue, even on a 4690k. It's just...I don't get it. Why ignore it and continue adding features? My forts are getting less and less old before I just get tired of waiting for dwarf to get from point A to point B and retire it.

EDIT: perhaps I am just not experiencing enough !FUN!
Well, there are FPS changes through out development. Its remaining about the same.  Even when dramatically large things like the extra z levels were added. ToadyOne is just not making ground on that sluggishness. And to my understanding what really causes slow down, wouldnt really be solved by multithreading anyhow.

Every reveal tile takes more system resources and every item in the game takes more system resources. And these are two things that grow a lot during gameplay.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2420 on: September 03, 2015, 08:02:40 pm »

Ah, excellent to see all this progress, will be glad to see all the Fun that will ensue in .40.25.
I'm betting on .48.00 myself.

Every reveal tile takes more system resources and every item in the game takes more system resources. And these are two things that grow a lot during gameplay.
Hmmm, this might explain why adventurer mode runs so fast, the only times it really slows down is when I've got 5 or 6 thousand (or more) creatures to load within my sight/sound range.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2421 on: September 03, 2015, 10:05:33 pm »

Two questions;

With this wonderful temperature system in place, is there any intention to make it matter for individual units outside of spontaneous combustion or flash-freeze, e.g, hypothermia, heat-stroke?

And;

How likely is more complete structural simulation within the near future, e.g, needing structural columns in especially wide rooms, ETC?

Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2422 on: September 04, 2015, 03:46:31 am »

Two questions;

With this wonderful temperature system in place, is there any intention to make it matter for individual units outside of spontaneous combustion or flash-freeze, e.g, hypothermia, heat-stroke?

And;

How likely is more complete structural simulation within the near future, e.g, needing structural columns in especially wide rooms, ETC?

All of this are more like suggestions than questions. You should post them in the appropriate topic, or, you will probably hear the same reply than everybody who does the same (not for now, why not,  i don't know when)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2423 on: September 04, 2015, 03:48:50 am »

I'm betting on .48.00 myself.

i give it like 98% confidence that it's not above 0.42.01

and like 98% confidence that it's not below 0.41.01

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2424 on: September 04, 2015, 05:16:34 am »

Two questions;

This has been discuss a few times. There isn't a simulation limit that preventing that from happening. Its a UI and display issue. So far, ToadyOne and ThreeToes havent found a way to present things like load and tension on constructions, that they like. And from whats been discussed this is the barrier to removing the simple cave in rules.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2425 on: September 04, 2015, 09:16:36 am »

Two questions;

This has been discuss a few times. There isn't a simulation limit that preventing that from happening. Its a UI and display issue. So far, ToadyOne and ThreeToes havent found a way to present things like load and tension on constructions, that they like. And from whats been discussed this is the barrier to removing the simple cave in rules.
Sudden cave-ins communicates that there was a problem, but a system "that they like" would give some advance notice in time for the player to do something about it.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2426 on: September 04, 2015, 12:25:28 pm »

Back in 40d creatures caught outside in extreme cold would slowly die from exposure. We had BURN, HEAT, and COLD damage / attack types; The COLD damage type would cause frostbite when critical. These were removed with the new combat system from what I understand with a desire to use the temperature system instead. I haven't embarked on a glacier in many versions to see if the cold upsets the dwarves.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2427 on: September 04, 2015, 04:08:23 pm »

Back in 40d creatures caught outside in extreme cold would slowly die from exposure. We had BURN, HEAT, and COLD damage / attack types; The COLD damage type would cause frostbite when critical. These were removed with the new combat system from what I understand with a desire to use the temperature system instead. I haven't embarked on a glacier in many versions to see if the cold upsets the dwarves.

I've actually done a little bit of science on this.

From what I've seen, it's basically impossible for any creature to suffer any sort of cold damage naturally. In the arena, even when setting the temperature to absolute zero, a dwarf will take quite a while to start suffering cold damage. The current material templates for skin and such leave a lot to be desired on this front, but there's probably screwy numbers across all relevant boards here.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2428 on: September 04, 2015, 05:34:25 pm »

I've actually done a little bit of science on this.

From what I've seen, it's basically impossible for any creature to suffer any sort of cold damage naturally. In the arena, even when setting the temperature to absolute zero, a dwarf will take quite a while to start suffering cold damage. The current material templates for skin and such leave a lot to be desired on this front, but there's probably screwy numbers across all relevant boards here.

Do you really mean absolute zero, or zero dwarf-degrees, which corresponds to far below absolute zero?

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2429 on: September 04, 2015, 05:38:40 pm »

i had a stone at 0 Urists was useless for killing :(
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 306