Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 161 162 [163] 164 165 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1834396 times)

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2430 on: September 04, 2015, 10:15:03 pm »

Do you really mean absolute zero, or zero dwarf-degrees, which corresponds to far below absolute zero?

Actual absolute zero. Or like 9508 °Urist
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 10:17:22 pm by Witty »
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2431 on: September 05, 2015, 03:58:41 am »

I'll take that to mean no, the gauntlet bug will reign eternally. :V
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Whatsifsowhatsit

• Bay Watcher
  • Big geek
    • View Profile
« Reply #2432 on: September 05, 2015, 08:50:32 am »

A belated thank you for the reply, Toady! You seem to have missed one of my questions (and unless I missed it, it wasn't answered before), when quoting it alongside another question of mine, so I'll ask it again here.

Will singing songs of defeated foes mid-battle be interpreted as a taunt and/or cause opponents to re-evaluate how much of a threat you are (in either direction), or is there no such understanding currently?

Alfrodo

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_STUPID]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2433 on: September 05, 2015, 09:23:44 am »

I'll take that to mean no, the gauntlet bug will reign eternally. :V

Well. I guess that's that.
*Removes Chitin Gauntlet Reaction*
Bins stacked full of mangoes were laid out in rows. On further inspection of the market, Cog came to the realization that everything was mangoes.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2434 on: September 05, 2015, 10:38:42 am »

Huehuehue. Between that and still being unable to take over forest retreats by pushing everybody important off of the home tree... ;w;
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2435 on: September 05, 2015, 10:54:27 am »

Back in 40d creatures caught outside in extreme cold would slowly die from exposure. We had BURN, HEAT, and COLD damage / attack types; The COLD damage type would cause frostbite when critical. These were removed with the new combat system from what I understand with a desire to use the temperature system instead. I haven't embarked on a glacier in many versions to see if the cold upsets the dwarves.

I've actually done a little bit of science on this.

From what I've seen, it's basically impossible for any creature to suffer any sort of cold damage naturally. In the arena, even when setting the temperature to absolute zero, a dwarf will take quite a while to start suffering cold damage. The current material templates for skin and such leave a lot to be desired on this front, but there's probably screwy numbers across all relevant boards here.
Very interesting. Cheers for clearing that up.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2436 on: September 05, 2015, 01:39:40 pm »

Thanks for humoring me.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2437 on: September 05, 2015, 06:56:08 pm »

Will singing songs of defeated foes mid-battle be interpreted as a taunt and/or cause opponents to re-evaluate how much of a threat you are (in either direction), or is there no such understanding currently?
From whats been described, I am going to say no. The arts performance, seems to be (for now) pretty formally structured.  The performers start their act (maybe in a few preconfigured spots like taverns), and then a formal crowd watches them. It seems like those not inside the  crowd don't actually acknowledge the performance.

So there no ambient or passive acknowledgment.  However, I'm willing to bet ToadyOne and ThreeToes are aware of things like war drums and bagpipes, which are meant to be performances that are meant to be heard passively.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2438 on: September 06, 2015, 11:18:26 am »

Do you really mean absolute zero, or zero dwarf-degrees, which corresponds to far below absolute zero?

[MAT_FIXED_TEMP:0]
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2439 on: September 06, 2015, 11:52:16 am »

This is more current than future, but does strength effect size in growing creatures? The dwarven child care thread has produced absolutely enormous dwarves and we were wondering if their high strength early in life is why.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2440 on: September 06, 2015, 12:59:50 pm »

Was the test putting Urist in a tile at DF Absolute Zero, hitting him with a projectile that was DF Aboslute Zero, or coating him in spatter that was DF Absolute Zero?  Simply hitting someone with a hot or cold object may not get the effect you want.  The raws definitely specify the temperature at which creatures' tissues take cold damage.  For critters made of standard materials it's anything at or below 9900 Urists (-68 Fahrenheit, -55.56 Celsius).  This implies that your adventurer can frolic naked on a glacier with nary a care.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2441 on: September 06, 2015, 01:05:00 pm »

Was the test putting Urist in a tile at DF Absolute Zero, hitting him with a projectile that was DF Aboslute Zero, or coating him in spatter that was DF Absolute Zero?  Simply hitting someone with a hot or cold object may not get the effect you want.  The raws definitely specify the temperature at which creatures' tissues take cold damage.  For critters made of standard materials it's anything at or below 9900 Urists (-68 Fahrenheit, -55.56 Celsius).  This implies that your adventurer can frolic naked on a glacier with nary a care.
All of the above
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Zavvnao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2442 on: September 06, 2015, 01:17:24 pm »

I'm not sure what the second question means -- like will they move in and have little animal person ruin-warming parties at the temples?  Or something about the current outcast groups?  I don't remember if they still get cursed after the main civ gets chased out or how that works.

Thinking about it, I mean if they move in or pass by in migratory routes? And I think I am also wondering this about refugees or other moving entities and how ruined towns provoke different responses.

reality.auditor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2443 on: September 07, 2015, 09:17:36 am »

I can't see how the game can progress much further without multi-threading.
Multi-threading issue was done to death on this forum. Generally, it is not possible, since it requires complete rewite of critical parts of code. It would be easier just to simply start from scrath at this point.

Why ignore it and continue adding features?
Because new features are what Toady and majority of players wishes, so it gets maximum priority, like it or not.

And question for Toady, since it was not directly addresed:

There was already mentioned something that looks like bug. Dwarves see corpse and reacts like sentient was just killed before their very own eyes. At least this is how it is described in their personal thoughts. It goes without saying that there is big difference between seeing just lying corpse and witnessing actual killing in proccess.

Is it considered bug by you, or it is something intended?
Are weapons like the least lethal thing in DF?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2444 on: September 07, 2015, 09:23:01 am »

With the new multi-species forts, how will creatures like trogs and gorlaks fit in? Will they be able to become citizens? I really want to make blind cave ogre shock troops now.
Pages: 1 ... 161 162 [163] 164 165 ... 306