Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 171 172 [173] 174 175 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1839682 times)

Camulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2580 on: October 04, 2015, 09:21:11 pm »

The prospect of children playing make believe has brought an interesting question to my mind.

Will it be possible for the player to be fooled by their dwarve's imaginations, whether by rumors, lies or lapses in judgement ?

For example, the ancient "cry wolf" fable, where a dwarven child may act as if it has seen a terrible monster in the caverns, or believe that it has, spreading this story to the adult dwarves and if a certain percentage of the population believe it, a message for the player pops up stating "So and so has arrived" even though it has not.

The same goes for a drunk wandering into the tavern, shouting that an army is approaching (while it may merely be travelers heading to fortress), where the player may get a message of an approaching siege or some of the more gullible dwarves may head into a panic, even going so far as to attack the travelers.

I am not quite sure whether this psychological state idea is a viable implementation to the game, but I imagine it can be quite entertaining and chaotic if done realistically.

This is my first time utilizing this thread, not sure whether this post would be better suited within the suggestion subforum?

My question got me thinking of another question:

Will there be provisions for myth creation within the world at a later stage? With creatures and gods created within the minds of the races that in fact do not exist. This may be an interesting addition to religion and legends mode in general.

Something along the lines of "Archexion was a mythical being within the The Golden Hammers. It was believed to be a great two-headed dragon who swam the oceans of the world and had an outer shell of obsidian. It was associated with drownings and famine."

Doomsday myths, local legends(of supposedly cursed places and haunted houses) can also exist, all meshing in with the lies and rumors system above.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 09:37:09 pm by Camulus »

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2581 on: October 05, 2015, 01:48:56 am »

Will it be possible for the player to be fooled by their dwarve's imaginations, whether by rumors, lies or lapses in judgement ?
Yes. Or well, thats a goal. Weather or not the player is fooled, would probably depend on the players wit and perception. This was started with vampires, and dorfs having the ability to go missing, as these are steps to provide the player with more imperfect information. Right now Players don't have to act on the accusation of a dorf on nother dorf, when the suspect is obviously erroneous or the vampire is known by the player. The groundwork for in fortress mode crime is already in place as well.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

forfor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2582 on: October 05, 2015, 02:44:11 pm »

will there ever be greater levels of interaction with deities? For instance having them come visit a fort to curse/bless stuff or seeking them out in adventure to kill them/seek some kind of blessing etc. would add an extra layer of FUN as you couldn't necessarily differentiate between these God visitors, and the traveling demons who like to impersonate them. You could also tailor the gods gift/curse to match their godly purview aka God of trade or God of war etc.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2583 on: October 05, 2015, 04:50:21 pm »

That would be great if in adventure mode the npc you're talking to are able to lie about a subject or exaggerate/downplay it to serve their own interest and end into trying to manipulate the player characters.

I can imagine a mayor that dislike you and find your presence in his town unacceptable telling you about a wolf that has killed some sheeps in the farms , and that it would be great for the town farmers that you should kill it in a specific location.

Only for you to run instead into the lair of a night troll whole family.

DarkwingUK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2584 on: October 05, 2015, 04:52:31 pm »

Hi Toady!

I hope two questions is ok!

I noticed in some recent posts that you said that you might wait on games until the economy comes in later on. Does that mean that you are considering reducing taverns part 2 to just recipes and moving more quickly to artifacts? Or are there more things that you plan to add in taverns part 2?

Also, I was wondering how you conceptualise the fog of war within fortress mode. I notice that there is the thing happening that the caverns are obscured until we start exploring them. But it seems that once tiles are revealed, that we can generally see monsters in those tiles whether or not they can be seen by an individual dwarf. Is it a design decision to let the player see creatures that dwarves can't see? Or is your idea that later, we will be limited to knowing what our dwarves know? Just curious!

thedrelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2585 on: October 06, 2015, 11:48:57 am »

That would be great if in adventure mode the npc you're talking to are able to lie about a subject or exaggerate/downplay it to serve their own interest and end into trying to manipulate the player characters.

I can imagine a mayor that dislike you and find your presence in his town unacceptable telling you about a wolf that has killed some sheeps in the farms , and that it would be great for the town farmers that you should kill it in a specific location.

I would love to see the visiting diplomat lying about events that have occurred around you. like the elven caravan diplomat boasting about his community successfully destroying several human villages, only to hear from humans in your tavern that that totally hasn't happened.
*scribble scribble*

Yes?

Kitsune

• Bay Watcher
  • [BENIGN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2586 on: October 06, 2015, 12:54:32 pm »

I can imagine a mayor that dislike you and find your presence in his town unacceptable telling you about a wolf that has killed some sheeps in the farms , and that it would be great for the town farmers that you should kill it in a specific location. :P

I would love to see the visiting diplomat lying about events that have occurred around you. like the elven caravan diplomat boasting about his community successfully destroying several human villages, only to hear from humans in your tavern that that totally hasn't happened.

"Dwarfs! Who are you gonna believe us might elves or that human that knows noth-
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also
Toady what are you going to do differentiate transformations that change a npc's soul/mind (like spouse conversation) and transformations that do not? Will willpower have any effect on the transformation of there mind/soul?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 01:03:00 pm by Kitsune »
Hello I'm insane!

Tilogour

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2587 on: October 06, 2015, 01:22:19 pm »

When my hero is in
and in various enemy sites I can't check my detailed map (map showed in fast travel mode).
I understand my hero don't know where he is in
, but he should be able to see when he is in enemy civ.
(BTW: I can't sleep if I'm in territory of enemy civ)
Do you intend to something  with this (a little change) or it's fine and it's done well now?[/color]
I'm sorry for my English. I hope you can understand me.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 01:34:18 pm by Tilogour »

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2588 on: October 06, 2015, 01:37:34 pm »

Hitting Shift + Q should open a map of sorts. Then you can go to the sites submenu, search for the site you're in, and zoom to it, which gives you a detailed map of the site if you're currently at it.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

reality.auditor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2589 on: October 06, 2015, 04:29:44 pm »

I think I seen Toady commenting on false rumours/achievments/etc that for now it would be too much work, so it got delayed to unspecified time (see you in few years).
Are weapons like the least lethal thing in DF?

Gorobay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2590 on: October 06, 2015, 07:18:06 pm »

How do you pronounce “Cichi Cichi”, the name of the poisonous berry from Threetoe’s stories?

Alfrodo

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_STUPID]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2591 on: October 06, 2015, 07:49:59 pm »

How do you pronounce “Cichi Cichi”, the name of the poisonous berry from Threetoe’s stories?

Si - Che  Si - Che

Source: Microsoft Anna
Bins stacked full of mangoes were laid out in rows. On further inspection of the market, Cog came to the realization that everything was mangoes.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #2592 on: October 07, 2015, 10:09:23 am »

Quote from: bay12 twitter
"Hey Tarn, will we have undead trumpeters in the next version?"

Only vampires. When the zombie's soul is deleted, it forgets all its tunes.

NOOOOO! Tell me at least that musically-inclined necromancers will at some point be able to command their skeletons/zombies to play instruments and conduct Bone Orchestras?
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2593 on: October 07, 2015, 10:20:09 am »

« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 10:22:09 am by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

lobster1050

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2594 on: October 08, 2015, 01:36:57 am »

Is there any plans for tree nuts (hazelnuts, pecans, almonds etc.)? Right now, it is impossible to gather them like fruits or berries.
Pages: 1 ... 171 172 [173] 174 175 ... 306