Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 220 221 [222] 223 224 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1841202 times)

Abadrausar

• Bay Watcher
  • empowering ideas
    • View Profile
    • ♫♪♀HDFPS♂♪♫
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3315 on: January 19, 2016, 06:22:40 am »

Might fit well into this particular corner of the Suggestions forum.
Well my point of view is that the hard work of implementing lexical substitution of tokens has been already done by Toady One, but then, this has been artificially restricted to only work for objects of kind creature, as I do not see why. So, I ask if the proposed evolution (Future of the fortress  ;D :P) could land sometime in a distant future...
Or maybe, make clear why only the objects of kind creature have been considered for variations.
More of a modification of tokens that already exist than adding new tokens but well...
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 06:38:30 am by Abadrausar »
::: Humble Dwarf Fortress Publishing System ♫♪♀HDFPS♂♪♫ Mods Push Published in DFFD are auto updated in local Players Catalog :::

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3316 on: January 19, 2016, 11:51:19 am »

Well my point of view is that the hard work of implementing lexical substitution of tokens has been already done by Toady One, but then, this has been artificially restricted to only work for objects of kind creature, as I do not see why. So, I ask if the proposed evolution (Future of the fortress  ;D :P) could land sometime in a distant future...
Or maybe, make clear why only the objects of kind creature have been considered for variations.
More of a modification of tokens that already exist than adding new tokens but well...

Perhaps you should have worded it as a question instead of a...order.

+1 for moving it to the suggestions forum.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3317 on: January 19, 2016, 11:55:27 am »

Two things.

First, one reply you made implies that adventurers no longer being able to commit cannibalism and craft things (if modded in) from sentient body parts ( see issue: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=9171 ) was not intended behavior. Was that implication correct, or did I misunderstand something?

Second, are giant desert scorpions officially gone for good, or is the idea of re-adding them them just on hold for the moment?
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3318 on: January 19, 2016, 12:14:12 pm »

Modifications are just as much suggestions as additions.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #3319 on: January 19, 2016, 01:00:44 pm »

Second, are giant desert scorpions officially gone for good, or is the idea of re-adding them them just on hold for the moment?

Some kind of giant scorpion is coming, as stated in the file changes file. Just because that didn't happen at the first opportunity doesn't mean it's never going to happen.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3320 on: January 19, 2016, 04:07:31 pm »

Some kind of giant scorpion is coming, as stated in the file changes file. Just because that didn't happen at the first opportunity doesn't mean it's never going to happen.
Everyone, start praying to Armok that we're getting war-trainable giant blind cave scorpions with venom of equal potency to giant desert scorpions, because I hate to pray to Armok alone.
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3321 on: January 19, 2016, 06:38:31 pm »

Everyone, start praying to Armok that we're getting war-trainable giant blind cave scorpions with venom of equal potency to giant desert scorpions, because I hate to pray to Armok alone.
Mind if I swipe that idea?
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

domanite

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3322 on: January 19, 2016, 07:44:28 pm »

Quote from: Japa
what compiler will you be using for the eventual 64bit DF?

Right now the plan is to use the MSVC that people suggested for Windows (2013 community, or whatever), and the test program worked with that.  I have no idea what the linux/mac configurations are or how it would work there.
Microsoft recently added support for using Clang as the compiler front-end for MSVC:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vcblog/archive/2015/12/04/introducing-clang-with-microsoft-codegen-in-vs-2015-update-1.aspx

Clang is cross-platform, so code written to it should be compile-able for all platforms. (knock on wood.)

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3323 on: January 19, 2016, 10:40:39 pm »

Mind if I swipe that idea?
Go right ahead.

Dear Toady, what in Armok's name is a frilly turban and can it fit under a helm? I can't any information on it anywhere, not even in the raws.

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

quekwoambojish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3324 on: January 20, 2016, 02:59:35 am »

How close are we to verbally/visually identifying  what group a particular bandit or hearth person holds allegiance to?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3325 on: January 20, 2016, 03:29:50 am »

Dear Toady, what in Armok's name is a frilly turban and can it fit under a helm? I can't any information on it anywhere, not even in the raws.
It's a turban made of HFS fabric, and yes.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 03:33:15 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3326 on: January 20, 2016, 10:04:56 am »

Re-posting this here, because I doubt it will get answered in the release thread:
What's the reason for removing zombie wrestling? Is it difficulty, or because they were doing weird stuff with it (e.g., joint locks?) The stereotypical zombie, as I've seen them portrayed, congregates in a crowd of grasping arms. The difficulty should already be mitigated by the running and strength nerf.

Not saying they have to be stereotypical zombies, but it's a behavior that makes sense. If zombies are creatures of instinct, then primates are prone to grasping things.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3327 on: January 20, 2016, 01:17:47 pm »

It's a turban made of HFS fabric, and yes.
I got mine as an artifact made from cave spider silk actually, but it's a relief to know that it fits snuggly under a helm just like a normal turban to provide just a little extra protection for my militia commander's head. It's a shame, really, that we can't make turbans of our own, or else they'd be part of every soldier's gear. The thing is, though, I cannot for the life of me picture what a "frilly turban" looks like, and Google has failed to help me in such matters. Also, I read on the wiki that such HFS clothing is associated with certain spheres....do we know which spheres are associated with "frilly"?

Toady: A while back, you said that giving players control over what imagery was producing in statues, figurines, engravings, etc was on the to-do list. How far down the to-do list is it right now? I ask because I'm sick of the majority of engravings in my fortress being of political events, the creation of masterwork crafts and Rismal Dineddishes, that one fucking human who went on four or more fucking journeys through the Slow Forests taming giant lice on the second journey and taming giant dingoes on the fourth before becoming the ruler of the human civilization nearest to my current fort. (By the way, the engravings of Rismal never told me he became the leader of the human civilization and I never looked at the civ screen for them. I only knew he was leader because one year the human diplomat told me that his (the diplomat's) grandchild had become leader, replacing old Rismal. It gave me.....feels. Keep working your magic, Toady).

UristMcTruman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3328 on: January 20, 2016, 01:19:10 pm »

Hi Toady! Probably a stupid question, but...
In your mental representation of those creatures, do Eagle Women have breasts?

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3329 on: January 20, 2016, 01:22:12 pm »

Hi Toady! Probably a stupid question, but...
In your mental representation of those creatures, do Eagle Women have breasts?
My guess for an animal person would be has.breasts=NOT(lays.eggs)
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map
Pages: 1 ... 220 221 [222] 223 224 ... 306