Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 221 222 [223] 224 225 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1834280 times)

UristMcTruman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3330 on: January 20, 2016, 01:24:22 pm »

What about the platypus?  :D

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3331 on: January 20, 2016, 01:27:20 pm »

I doubt it.
The newly hatched young are vulnerable, blind, and hairless, and are fed by the mother's milk. Although possessing mammary glands, the platypus lacks teats. Instead, milk is released through pores in the skin. The milk pools in grooves on her abdomen, allowing the young to lap it up.
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3332 on: January 20, 2016, 01:28:27 pm »

Dirst cancels glib answer: world too damned complicated
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

UristMcTruman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3333 on: January 20, 2016, 01:30:10 pm »

"mammary glands"
That will do perfectly. No need for teats. Teats are not safe for work.
Breasts without teats are still graphically acceptable.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 01:32:03 pm by UristMcTruman »

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3334 on: January 20, 2016, 01:33:17 pm »

"mammary glands"
It actually makes a difference in this case.  The NSFW stuff should have been spoilered though.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3335 on: January 22, 2016, 09:31:06 pm »

Dear Toady, what in Armok's name is a frilly turban and can it fit under a helm? I can't any information on it anywhere, not even in the raws.
It's a turban made of HFS fabric, and yes.
I didn't answer this before because I thought somebody else would show up and answer it better, but any items like "frilly turban", "blocky greaves", or "rounded gauntlets" are items generated on an individual world basis for use by angels. It's made out of divine metal cloth, which might be what was meant by HFS fabric, but I've never heard HFS fabric before and to me that sounds more like candy or clown silk. Divine metal is about half as good as adamantine, yet still a good bit above steel, and is also generated for each world with names like shimmering metal or glistening metal. The stats are always the same though. I don't know if it was ever experimented on how they behave in comparison to the item they're named after, which, considering the thread we're in Are the divinely generated armor and weapons identical to the items they're named after? Standard turbans can fit over helms fine though, and I do believe they would be put over helms not under, but the armor layers work either way.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3336 on: January 23, 2016, 06:40:18 am »

Gremlins are an odd case that's become even more out of place with multi race fortresses. They can appointed as nobles and elected mayors that even make demands, but you can't see their demands [at least in 0.40.24]. You can't make clothes for them, but they now drink booze using cups. They are considered animals and can be butchered, yet they appear to be a lot more intelligent than e.g. trolls, and dance, sing, recite poetry read books, etc. What are the plans regarding them? Will they be moved to the fortress citizen category (e.g. by having tamed gremlins apply for residence and then get moved from the tame animal category, and then have them apply for full citizenship, or possibly fast track them to full citizenship via an automatically generated 'petition' once tamed), or demoted to mere animals? I guess the answer might be tied to how "wild" animal people populations and captives from them are to be treated?

Edit: Removed obsolete room statement above.
Edit 2: And corrected version reference...
Edit 3: This is getting messy: My gremlin did apply for citizenship directly and moved from the tavern room to a fortress one when it was approved, and immediately started to perform hauling. However, one of my dorfs is trying to train her, but she now ignores training and rather hauls stuff, drinks, sleeps, and goes back to hauling. Removed the Toady indication, since it's basically there already and bug corrections/tweaks seams to be what remains (I'll write a bug report, though).
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 05:20:20 pm by PatrikLundell »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3337 on: January 23, 2016, 07:57:58 am »

42.24?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3338 on: January 23, 2016, 08:41:46 am »

Dear Toady, what in Armok's name is a frilly turban and can it fit under a helm? I can't any information on it anywhere, not even in the raws.
It's a turban made of HFS fabric, and yes.
I didn't answer this before because I thought somebody else would show up and answer it better, but any items like "frilly turban", "blocky greaves", or "rounded gauntlets" are items generated on an individual world basis for use by angels. It's made out of divine metal cloth, which might be what was meant by HFS fabric, but I've never heard HFS fabric before and to me that sounds more like candy or clown silk. Divine metal is about half as good as adamantine, yet still a good bit above steel, and is also generated for each world with names like shimmering metal or glistening metal. The stats are always the same though. I don't know if it was ever experimented on how they behave in comparison to the item they're named after, which, considering the thread we're in Are the divinely generated armor and weapons identical to the items they're named after? Standard turbans can fit over helms fine though, and I do believe they would be put over helms not under, but the armor layers work either way.
As I recall they were the same stats as the vanilla items, but not modded ones.

Easiest way to see is something like a weapon where you removed the flat/shaft attacks from something like a battle axe in your raws but the divine metal versions still have them.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3339 on: January 23, 2016, 03:28:33 pm »

Gremlins are an odd case that's become even more out of place with multi race fortresses. They can appointed as nobles and elected mayors that even make demands, but you can't see their demands [at least in 0.40.24]. You can't make clothes for them, but they now drink booze using cups. They are considered animals and can be butchered, yet they appear to be a lot more intelligent than e.g. trolls, and dance, sing, recite poetry read books, etc. What are the plans regarding them? Will they be moved to the fortress citizen category (e.g. by having tamed gremlins apply for residence and then get moved from the tame animal category, and then have them apply for full citizenship, or possibly fast track them to full citizenship via an automatically generated 'petition' once tamed), or demoted to mere animals? I guess the answer might be tied to how "wild" animal people populations and captives from them are to be treated?

Edit: Removed obsolete room statement above.
Edit 2: And corrected version reference...
Gremlins are an odd creature to have in Dwarf Fortress anyway, since they are a thoroughly modern bit of folklore that emerged in the 1920s.  A combination of unreliable aircraft and high altitudes combined to generate some convincing hallucinations of nasty little creatures sabotaging the planes.

Anachronism aside, gremlins ought to be a natural enemy of the mechanically inclined dwarves... I just wish there was a medieval equivalent to use for a better name.
Just got back, updating:

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3340 on: January 23, 2016, 10:17:39 pm »

Gremlins are an odd creature to have in Dwarf Fortress anyway, since they are a thoroughly modern bit of folklore that emerged in the 1920s.  A combination of unreliable aircraft and high altitudes combined to generate some convincing hallucinations of nasty little creatures sabotaging the planes.

Anachronism aside, gremlins ought to be a natural enemy of the mechanically inclined dwarves... I just wish there was a medieval equivalent to use for a better name.
"It ain't Wendell Willkie!" :P

Thanks to Ultima, my conception of Gremlins is as food-stealers. But I agree that the mechanical aspect of their lore is much more suited to Dwarf Fortress. It would be cool if they had some variation on the BUILDING_DESTROYER tag, that only affected constructions made with mechanisms.

As for alternative names, what about "Brownie," "Urisk," or "Hob"?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 02:49:50 am by Urlance Woolsbane »
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3341 on: January 23, 2016, 11:41:36 pm »

As for alternative names, what about "Brownie," "Urisk," or "Hob"?
I think Kilmoulis would be closer, because a Brownie is more associated with households and an Urisk with the wilderness, while a Kilmoulis typically inhabits a mill.
Just got back, updating:

ragundo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3342 on: January 24, 2016, 07:11:00 am »

Hello Toady

I'm trying to understand the way that nobility, trading and diplomacy are exported in Legends mode. They all use entity_site_links to connect entities to world sites.

entity_site_link has a int32 undocumented field, the 7th one, that seems to be a flags field, could you detail the meaning of those flags fields or at leat the following ones?

bit 00->(mask 0x001) related to trading
bit 01->(mask 0x002) related to nobility
bit 03->(mask 0x004) related to trading
bit 04->(mask 0x008) related to trading
bit 17->(mask 0x200) related to nobility
bit 18->(mask 0x400) related to nobility
bit 19->(mask 0x800) related to nobility

Thanks
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 08:44:08 am by ragundo »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3343 on: January 24, 2016, 08:03:05 am »

@ragundo: I recommend painting your question in green (any green will do) by updating your post, as the green color is a signal to Toady to read them (allowing him to skip or skim over the surrounding forumite chatter).

ragundo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3344 on: January 24, 2016, 08:45:05 am »

@ragundo: I recommend painting your question in green (any green will do) by updating your post, as the green color is a signal to Toady to read them (allowing him to skip or skim over the surrounding forumite chatter).

Thanks. It's my first time asking here.
Pages: 1 ... 221 222 [223] 224 225 ... 306