Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 227 228 [229] 230 231 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1834259 times)

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3420 on: February 11, 2016, 05:43:52 pm »

No. I mean that if I order to make a bed out of ash wood the workshop will still call it bed instead of ashen bed, like it does with anything else (ashen bucket, ashen door and so on)
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3421 on: February 11, 2016, 05:44:23 pm »

By custom wood he likely means when you choose to make it out of a spceific kind of wood.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3422 on: February 11, 2016, 05:47:59 pm »

So, I think i'm in love with the customizing of objects, and the ability to create bone items in adventure mode and also customize them, however, it seems like you only get the option to go into specifics when carving figurines in adventure mode and not , for example, amulets.When will we be able to do this or does it depend on your skill?

Also, on a related note, when will I be able to legitimately open up a "bone carving" shoppe in a town or something similar instead of just peddling to people on the streets?
I am an indie game dev!

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3423 on: February 11, 2016, 06:00:12 pm »

It is kinda interesting, but...

Are there any plans to add more materials options besides born, like horn or hoof? It's doable, but the most efficient way to make it work out (using reaction_class to group all desired materials for use in the same reaction) will work different from the way you have the reactions working now (namely, reaction_class makes it consume an entire stack, while).

Though personally I don't mind the other method consuming whole stacks, as it allows reaction mods to use bone and related materials in a way that's consistent with how leather reactions and the only non-buggy cloth reactions are used.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3424 on: February 11, 2016, 06:00:41 pm »

So, I think i'm in love with the customizing of objects, and the ability to create bone items in adventure mode and also customize them, however, it seems like you only get the option to go into specifics when carving figurines in adventure mode and not , for example, amulets.When will we be able to do this or does it depend on your skill?

Also, on a related note, when will I be able to legitimately open up a "bone carving" shoppe in a town or something similar instead of just peddling to people on the streets?

Amulets don't have images on them by default. Unless you mean when you try to put an image on an amulet, then I can't answer that.

As for when you can set up a shop, the answer will probably be "when I get around to it". No specific timelines here, but I would wager that shops and other property ownership would come into play once development starts on a properly functioning economy.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3425 on: February 11, 2016, 06:05:09 pm »

Amulets don't have images on them by default. Unless you mean when you try to put an image on an amulet, then I can't answer that.

As for when you can set up a shop, the answer will probably be "when I get around to it". No specific timelines here, but I would wager that shops and other property ownership would come into play once development starts on a properly functioning economy.

I mean when you try to put an image on one. You are unable to AFAIK , which is why I asked :).
I am an indie game dev!

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3426 on: February 11, 2016, 06:07:45 pm »

If I recall, images on amulets and other items are an improvement or decoration, hence why they don't yet work in adventure mode.

In contrast, figurines have image properties on their own, hence working differently.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Daniel the Finlander

• Bay Watcher
  • Making bacon pancakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3427 on: February 12, 2016, 12:48:12 pm »

Will sand and clay tiles remain as infinite sources of the respective materials or will they become finite at some point in the distant future?
chances are their heads are being melted completely off due to pain forcing them to cry and tears don't evaporate so they just increase in temperature searing through the skull to the brain.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #3428 on: February 12, 2016, 01:55:27 pm »

Will sand and clay tiles remain as infinite sources of the respective materials or will they become finite at some point in the distant future?
Toady has mentioned a few times that he would like sand to work more like a liquid, and he mentioned back when the clay industry was added that they considered making clay finite.

Quote from: Toady One
Quote from: NSQuote
Where would you obtain clay from?
Quote from: Areyar
It would be nice to see a mechanism where there is at least a small chance of a tile being mined out if clay mining will use the current sand collection interface. (Same for sand  actually, but less so.)
Right now it works like sand, and we were considering making it eat up the tiles after a number of uses, but it doesn't currently do that.

As such, it seems reasonable that sand and clay won't stay as infinite as they are right now.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3429 on: February 12, 2016, 04:17:24 pm »

In relation to Deep Dwarves. If we could establish a reasonable trade relationship with them (assuming they can speak/no diplomats until a mayoral or barony stage for easy trades on hitting caverns/within range in the caverns/have access to the fortress depot from topside or cavern entrances) besides from trade goods like wood and maggots, would they offer a variety selection of animals from the caverns additionally?

Given the scarcity of some cavern creatures that appear in small numbers and the interesting barriers of [cave_animal] preferences to level 1 obtaining additional jabberers at a high price or selling off some troglodytes (into slavery? ethics unknown, would they eat them? force them to work? I realise these are all questions in themselves.) would be helpful to breeding programmes that have hit a dead end.

Daniel the Finlander

• Bay Watcher
  • Making bacon pancakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3430 on: February 13, 2016, 10:59:05 am »

@Knight Otu Thanks for the answer!

Once player fortresses will be able to interact with hillocks and mountain halls, will they be able to interact only with nearby settlements that aren't too far away? Also, will new hillocks and mountain halls be founded near the player's fortress over time?
chances are their heads are being melted completely off due to pain forcing them to cry and tears don't evaporate so they just increase in temperature searing through the skull to the brain.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3431 on: February 13, 2016, 12:13:40 pm »

Once player fortresses will be able to interact with hillocks and mountain halls, will they be able to interact only with nearby settlements that aren't too far away? Also, will new hillocks and mountain halls be founded near the player's fortress over time?
From what I gather the smaller settlements are part of a push to have your fort expand without needing more chunks loaded to the same level of detail as fort mode. This is in part so we'll have big enough populations to draw from for the giant armies we'll need.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3432 on: February 13, 2016, 06:44:51 pm »

Toady, I've noticed that nearly all tavern fights seem to erupt into a large scale fortress-wide conflict and end lethally. Is this an intended aspect of drunken brawls? I was under the impression that the fight would end once one of the fighters was knocked unconscious or yielded - but is that actually the case right now?
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #3433 on: February 13, 2016, 09:04:20 pm »

Because of all the performing, dwarves don't talk to each other as much any more. This means dwarves don't form relationships as easily, though I have noticed that lovers marry sooner. Are you going to do something to balance this out?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3434 on: February 14, 2016, 03:33:20 am »

Because of all the performing, dwarves don't talk to each other as much any more. This means dwarves don't form relationships as easily, though I have noticed that lovers marry sooner. Are you going to do something to balance this out?
Not to mention that kids now are so intent on playing (alone) that I've so far failed to find any kid who's even passingly familiar with another. Kids occasionally recognize the beard of one or a few adults.
Pages: 1 ... 227 228 [229] 230 231 ... 306