Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 235 236 [237] 238 239 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1834261 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3540 on: February 29, 2016, 07:41:00 pm »

Kinda feels weird sometimes poking around in there with dfhack and the names we put on the structures and then talking to you about it, like naughty children peeking into their parents closet or something. But yeah, I was think building inventory for the upright spears, yeah, the container thing was just the weirdness with the superbroad reaction options I was using to experimentally brew random plants I find into booze. 

Oh by the way... thank you so much for those reaction categories and being able to nest them, I love being able to condense and sort my myriad adventurer mod reactions! Now the actual question: as excited as I am at the thought of being able to dig/channel/ramp without dfhack, I must ask if you have any plans to add deconstruction tasks? Though I'm not sure they would be what I was hoping for given the site restrictions, as I mostly find myself wishing I could take apart the wall of a library to get the lagfest scholars out, or open blocked paths from underground forts/dark fortresses/vaults.

Incidentally, the bug about not being able to spread rumors about how you slew a zombie beast/megabeast/person/etc? It can be bypassed/fixed by telling stories about the incident apparently, in case that helps.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3541 on: February 29, 2016, 07:45:49 pm »

In general, large beasts of all kinds don't have any code at all about how they move around or attack or whatever, post worldgen.

That would explain how I got attacked by a tundra titan in a subtropical fort...
Even titans deserve a vacation! :)
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #3542 on: February 29, 2016, 07:51:53 pm »

What part(s) of a general's personality dictate(s) their actions/effectiveness? What would I need to mod to make a whole race of Yonali Smithwingses?

eternaleye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3543 on: February 29, 2016, 11:48:23 pm »

Have you ever looked at using OpenMP? It seems to address a lot of the concerns you've expressed over threading's complexity in the past. (for reference)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 02:08:27 pm by eternaleye »

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #3544 on: March 01, 2016, 07:42:40 am »

Thanks for the answers, Toady!
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

falcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3545 on: March 01, 2016, 11:26:53 am »

Thanks for the replies, Toady. I'm SO excited about all the new adventure mode building and crafting. Even using branches sounds exciting if only because we're a step closer to making bows and arrows.

I understand you aren't actually re-doing site maps right now, but will the changes you're working on for sites that cross between map tiles mean anything for cities in the future? Can cities be larger if they don't need to worry about map tiles? Are there other roadblocks to cities taking up the same space that several clustered-together villages do now?

It just seems a little odd there are villages basically right on top of each other with neighboring fields, instead of those people just having one big city with the same farming space. Things smaller than towns seem like they should be farther afield from each other and from the big towns with markets, at least on larger maps.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3546 on: March 01, 2016, 01:07:53 pm »

I'm still tempted to jokingly take credit for the "get branch for tool hafting" idea. o3o
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3547 on: March 01, 2016, 10:27:21 pm »

A month of updates to go before the next reply so anything could happen but...
Before you're finished with this cycle, if you're still on-schedule, do you plan to look at fortress retirement issues one more time, or has that now been put aside until a major site overhaul (scenarios?) comes along?
With the adventurer updates, multi-racial fortresses and visitors the game almost seems to be at a stage where you can swap freely between modes and create an epic fantasy story. Almost. Sadly, merchants, wagons and swarms of "hostile" visitors wandering the halls of unretired fortresses along with tavern keepers who refuse to serve adventurers, are big, noticeable enough issues to put people off retiring for now in case their hard work is 'spoiled'. Which is a shame as they'll miss out on so much of your work until then.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3548 on: March 02, 2016, 11:49:24 am »

You can pull a branch from branch tiles.  We'd like to eventually make those weaker than helves that are carved from a split log (I think that's how it works anyway, avoiding the innermost bits is a goal, but I don't know much about it), but right now, it doesn't matter.  The anvil paradox will come up more with picks and actual anvils, though it might be avoided as things stand with use of free-standing boulders or something.

Speaking of the anvil paradox, I've heard a claim of an artifact anvil being made from jade (though it was in Masterwork) and have seen plenty of artifact bone battleaxes and pickaxes. Would it be possible for you to force artifact versions of certain objects made from non-standard materials being produced in the "time before time" of every generated world? Doing do for every object with a "chicken or the egg" problem would resolve those paradoxes once and for all.
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #3549 on: March 02, 2016, 01:41:41 pm »

will you ever add moddable world-gen sites so modded mayans have temples in world-gen. romans would have temples. actual workshops in towns and hamlets
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #3550 on: March 02, 2016, 03:19:05 pm »

Quote from: TheFlame52
Because of all the performing, dwarves don't talk to each other as much any more. This means dwarves don't form relationships as easily, though I have noticed that lovers marry sooner. Are you going to do something to balance this out?

They are supposed to talk to each other during the "Socialize" breaks between performances, which last a while.  I'm not sure if they are pulling it off.
They don't, at least not nearly as much as they used to. Rumrusher did an experiment where he locked two goblins in a small room for four years and they only got to long-term acquaintance.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #3551 on: March 02, 2016, 06:33:38 pm »

You can pull a branch from branch tiles.  We'd like to eventually make those weaker than helves that are carved from a split log (I think that's how it works anyway, avoiding the innermost bits is a goal, but I don't know much about it), but right now, it doesn't matter.  The anvil paradox will come up more with picks and actual anvils, though it might be avoided as things stand with use of free-standing boulders or something.

Speaking of the anvil paradox, I've heard a claim of an artifact anvil being made from jade (though it was in Masterwork) and have seen plenty of artifact bone battleaxes and pickaxes. Would it be possible for you to force artifact versions of certain objects made from non-standard materials being produced in the "time before time" of every generated world? Doing do for every object with a "chicken or the egg" problem would resolve those paradoxes once and for all.

Sounds unnecessary. I'm pretty sure that it will eventually be that you will not need a steel/iron anvil in order to make a steel/iron anvil because that make sense and is how it is in reality, which is usually the flavour Toady aims for when there's precedent.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3552 on: March 02, 2016, 10:07:46 pm »

Are there any plans to add a stress-reaction equivalent to going catatonic? It stands out a bit in that the existing forms of insanity all got fleshed out with tantrum-equivalents of their own, while the new type of permanent affliction didn't get an equivalent. Or was there a particular reason for stress-vulnerable dwarves not having a comparable temporary affliction?
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3553 on: March 02, 2016, 11:40:29 pm »

I could've sworn people could sorta curl up on the ground in fear.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3554 on: March 02, 2016, 11:50:27 pm »

I could've sworn people could sorta curl up on the ground in fear.

Though that's technically a side effect of the discipline thing, not a fortress-mode tantrum-equivalent (TE I guess?), so it seems to be more dependent on the discipline skill than on personality values.

Plus it's independent of stress. Er, well, happiness.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Pages: 1 ... 235 236 [237] 238 239 ... 306