Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 250 251 [252] 253 254 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1840099 times)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3765 on: March 23, 2016, 08:48:11 am »

Anyway, will we eventually see in-game effects of pulping besides just the flavor text? By that I mean, if a blunt attack causes a creatures head to "explode into gore", will we see an explosion of eyes, teeth and skull fragments, similarly to what happens when teeth are punched out?
I asked that one already and I think the answer was "maybe". But go ahead, it might be a different answer now.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #3766 on: March 23, 2016, 08:56:02 am »

If one of a god's spheres is Chaos, any other combination of spheres is justified, because chaos.
Alright, replace "chaos" with "suicide" then.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3767 on: March 23, 2016, 10:30:45 am »

I definitely look forward to seeing what the game's logic is for giving me a god of poetry, writing, and death.
Odin.
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3768 on: March 23, 2016, 10:47:10 am »

If one of a god's spheres is Chaos, any other combination of spheres is justified, because chaos.

Chaos doesn't mean "Randomness". Think of classical chaos as upheaval, banditry, and riot.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3769 on: March 23, 2016, 11:49:33 am »

A god aligned with chaos and decay might switch up it's other spheres occasionally, or pick their spheres at random or specifically choose the ones not covered by other gods.
Besides that, the meaning of "chaos" is not clearly defined in-game, so it could reflect that interpretation or possibly a mad or trickster god. Toady could go either way in the future.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 11:53:48 am by Egan_BW »
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3770 on: March 23, 2016, 03:29:11 pm »

Anyway, will we eventually see in-game effects of pulping besides just the flavor text? By that I mean, if a blunt attack causes a creatures head to "explode into gore", will we see an explosion of eyes, teeth and skull fragments, similarly to what happens when teeth are punched out?

Also, do note that "explodes in gore" != "the severed part(s) flies(y) off in an arc".  To say that a wet mess is cast off at high velocity does not necessarily imply that anything in that slippery mess is intact or, even, identifiable. Teeth, horns, nails, etc. make sense since they are very hard and dense, and tend to break off. Eyes, brains and other soft tissues tend to not do so well when rapidly expelled from their usual and customary placement.

Part of this mess is covered by the puddles of blood left after combat. Ichor as well. However, since we have ground coverings like leaf litter now, maybe a tile covered in elm leaves and eleven grey matter wouldn't be too much of a stretch.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3771 on: March 23, 2016, 04:12:44 pm »

While the post above gives a good answer, this inspires another question from me.

Will there ever be lasting effects from mangled body parts in adventure mode? As ith every injury, travelling or resting seems to heal up any tissue capable of healing, meaning that a mangled body part is utterly shrugged off unless nerve damage occurred.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3772 on: March 23, 2016, 08:07:05 pm »

A god aligned with chaos and decay might switch up it's other spheres occasionally, or pick their spheres at random or specifically choose the ones not covered by other gods.
Besides that, the meaning of "chaos" is not clearly defined in-game, so it could reflect that interpretation or possibly a mad or trickster god. Toady could go either way in the future.

It is the opposite of Order. So it isn't the randomness Chaos.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3773 on: March 23, 2016, 08:36:48 pm »

The opposite of randomness is predictability. Predictability is aligned with order.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3774 on: March 24, 2016, 10:31:04 am »

How high/low on your to-do list is the implementation of draft animals and the support necessary for them (feed bags, feeding troughs, etc)? I've recently had a wonderful vision of having a massive pumpstack being powered by war animals. We've all seen what prolonged periods of pump operating can do for a dwarf's stats, now just imagine what it can do for a giant war elephant.....
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3775 on: March 24, 2016, 07:35:11 pm »

The opposite of randomness is predictability. Predictability is aligned with order.

Yes but that is like saying that Apples are the opposite of Oranges.

Apples are Red... Thus Red must be the opposite or Oranges.

I know that the idea of "Order vs. Chaos" is lost on modern times due to order being a given nowadays and has been repurposed to mean unpredictability vs. Predictability. Yet that isn't what I infer Dwarf Fortress is going for.

I still think it is going for the Classical Order as in Lawfulness, Peace, and civilization and Chaos as in Upheaval, unlawfulness, and war.

---

Or rather in modern times... Order and Chaos are Complimentary Opposites: Yin and Yan
In Classical thinking... Order and Chaos are contradictory opposites: Good and Evil.

---

MIND YOU... This did lead to the whole "People who aren't civilized are deficient or in need" mentality.

But when was moral ambiguity in dwarf fortress a bad thing?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 07:48:33 pm by Neonivek »

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3776 on: March 24, 2016, 09:02:14 pm »

Toady do you plan to improve NPC dwarven fortress generation, right now they are very random, and hard to navigate do you plan to make them more navigable in the future?

I am aware that you can use travel mode and < and > to go back up to the surface, but it is very hard to get out of forts if you don't do this.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 11:28:26 am by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3777 on: March 24, 2016, 09:07:05 pm »

Toady do you plan to improve NPC dwarven fortress generation, right now they are very random, and hard to navigate do you plan to make them more navigable in the future?

I am aware that you can use travel mode and < and > to go back up to the surface, but it is very hard to get out of forts if you don't do this.

You were expecting a trap-filled corridor followed by a magma chamber?  I think it would be hard to make those forts navigable without making them all seem cut from the same pattern.

I should talk... all of my forts follow the same basic pattern.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3778 on: March 24, 2016, 09:10:43 pm »

Personally I would expect a less chaotic layout, where you can reasonably find a main stairway. :V
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Trainzack

• Bay Watcher
  • The universe is, and we are.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3779 on: March 25, 2016, 12:22:47 am »

You were expecting a trap-filled corridor followed by a magma chamber?  I think it would be hard to make those forts navigable without making them all seem cut from the same pattern.
Personally I would expect a less chaotic layout, where you can reasonably find a main stairway. :V
It's kinda funny how this conversation is on a completely different topic, and yet is still about randomness vs. predictability.
Pages: 1 ... 250 251 [252] 253 254 ... 306