Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 252 253 [254] 255 256 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1834275 times)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3795 on: March 26, 2016, 03:38:38 am »

Will npc adventurers get any site building skills during this cycle? Would be nice to run into a monster hunter's mountain lodge full of Forgotten Beast bone figurines.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3796 on: March 26, 2016, 11:21:01 am »

Will npc adventurers get any site building skills during this cycle? Would be nice to run into a monster hunter's mountain lodge full of Forgotten Beast bone figurines.

They can already make "camps" which they sleep in during the night.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3797 on: March 26, 2016, 01:59:58 pm »

So how deep will the magic systems be, will it be as simple (and might I add, boring)  as a "create bucket of water" button.

Or will it be as complicated as a custom spell creator based on the worlds rules like "custom spell" -> "I want to create fire" -> "fire ball" ->"shoot it"-> " and I want it to be blue" alright game:  " cost : an entire arm" y or n . "Save template"

Or will it be somewhere in the middle?

Cado's magical journey is a good example of a complex magic system based on rules that seems fun.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 02:01:53 pm by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #3798 on: March 26, 2016, 03:12:53 pm »

So how deep will the magic systems be, will it be as simple (and might I add, boring)  as a "create bucket of water" button.

Or will it be as complicated as a custom spell creator based on the worlds rules like "custom spell" -> "I want to create fire" -> "fire ball" ->"shoot it"-> " and I want it to be blue" alright game:  " cost : an entire arm" y or n . "Save template"

Cado's magical journey is a good example of a complex magic system based on rules that seems fun.

Gonna add onto this, though it probably has been asked before - will we see artifacts that allow for magical abilities?

For that matter, will there be "doomsday" artifacts that are sought out by cult-like entities and can cause one of any number of potential end of the world scenarios, wheter it be as simple as "zombie apocalypse", a meteor dropping and killing most of the living populations, or something more complex such as a Ragnarok-type of apocalypse?

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #3799 on: March 26, 2016, 04:00:55 pm »

If such artifacts exist, then the PC better be able to use them.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #3800 on: March 26, 2016, 04:14:43 pm »

Would be pointless if we couldn't. With the new site building I'd definitely make my own cult dedicated to seeking out such artifacts (should there be multiple ones within a world) and unleashing them all at once.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3801 on: March 26, 2016, 04:29:50 pm »

Cado's Magical Journey is what they want the magic system to be like.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3802 on: March 26, 2016, 08:49:06 pm »

Would be pointless if we couldn't. With the new site building I'd definitely make my own cult dedicated to seeking out such artifacts (should there be multiple ones within a world) and unleashing them all at once.
Have you ever seen the Potion Miscibility Table from AD&D or the Magical Item Interaction Table from Rolemaster? :)
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3803 on: March 26, 2016, 09:00:56 pm »

Could be worse. Let's hope we don't see Warhammer/WH40k perils of the warp, or the spell results from FATAL. :V
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3804 on: March 27, 2016, 12:54:12 am »

Or like ARMOK I, where there was a spell to literally rip a targeted bodypart's skin off.

You could target yourself, too. Rip your own head's skin off.

Actually, that was cool enough. I'd be up for that.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3805 on: March 27, 2016, 02:20:00 am »

And hopefully, if the development notes are up to date, you won't be the only one in the world with that idea. An organic process that actually leads naturally to memorable villains who become the player's nemeses will be pretty cool.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3806 on: March 27, 2016, 07:45:35 am »

Each civ has a site cap, don't they?

No, the whole world has a site cap; there is no per civ site cap.   :)

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #3807 on: March 27, 2016, 08:42:50 am »

Have you ever seen the Potion Miscibility Table from AD&D or the Magical Item Interaction Table from Rolemaster? :)
I haven't actually :E

And hopefully, if the development notes are up to date, you won't be the only one in the world with that idea. An organic process that actually leads naturally to memorable villains who become the player's nemeses will be pretty cool.
Yeah, that's what I meant by cults seeking such artifacts out. That'd be amazing to actually have randomly-generated villains in the world.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3808 on: March 27, 2016, 03:14:56 pm »

Each civ has a site cap, don't they?

No, the whole world has a site cap; there is no per civ site cap.   :)
...actually.
Code: [Select]
[MAX_STARTING_CIV_NUMBER:25]
[MAX_POP_NUMBER:15000]
[MAX_SITE_POP_NUMBER:100]
The relationship between max pop and max site pop sets a cap per civ as I recall.

Cado's Magical Journey is what they want the magic system to be like.
Yup, as I said a page or two back, you can do many of the effects from the story now via modding/dfhack/both. Some aren't really possible to simulate currently (like, I can make anyone hurtle across the screen into a wall and explode if I want, but making an item fly controllably into my hand? not yet, though perhaps with the combat style expansion we'll get projectile catching options) and some are easier than others (the slowing time/megapunching, as well as cumulative side effects via syndrome concentration are both pretty straightforward modding exercises now) but it's easy enough to picture things like the dancing "move to x" interface, perhaps one using a cursor to trace shapes in real time, the "continue or move to interrupt" pacing, and so forth.

I imagine the projectile/action-at-a-distance aspects will probably accompany a rework of the ranged combat system, hopefully at least, I mean rightfully when you're zooming around at 10.0 speed you should see crossbow bolts hanging in the air and just walk past them or interact/grab them... not to mention being able to aim attacks at foes flying through the air like npcs can.

KillzEmAllGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Searching for the other sock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3809 on: March 28, 2016, 04:03:47 am »

Will magic enable Elves to create metal weapons and armor or will they be able tp get their own magical enchanted metal that they can craft into what they need?

Will philosophers and poets be able to create their own myths or adept other cultures to their own?

Pages: 1 ... 252 253 [254] 255 256 ... 306