Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 253 254 [255] 256 257 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1058436 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3810 on: March 27, 2016, 03:14:56 pm »

Each civ has a site cap, don't they?

No, the whole world has a site cap; there is no per civ site cap.   :)
...actually.
Code: [Select]
[MAX_STARTING_CIV_NUMBER:25]
[MAX_POP_NUMBER:15000]
[MAX_SITE_POP_NUMBER:100]
The relationship between max pop and max site pop sets a cap per civ as I recall.

So how deep will the magic systems be, will it be as simple (and might I add, boring)  as a "create bucket of water" button.

Or will it be as complicated as a custom spell creator based on the worlds rules like "custom spell" -> "I want to create fire" -> "fire ball" ->"shoot it"-> " and I want it to be blue" alright game:  " cost : an entire arm" y or n . "Save template"

Or will it be somewhere in the middle?

Cado's magical journey is a good example of a complex magic system based on rules that seems fun.

Cado's Magical Journey is what they want the magic system to be like.
Yup, as I said a page or two back, you can do many of the effects from the story now via modding/dfhack/both. Some aren't really possible to simulate currently (like, I can make anyone hurtle across the screen into a wall and explode if I want, but making an item fly controllably into my hand? not yet, though perhaps with the combat style expansion we'll get projectile catching options) and some are easier than others (the slowing time/megapunching, as well as cumulative side effects via syndrome concentration are both pretty straightforward modding exercises now) but it's easy enough to picture things like the dancing "move to x" interface, perhaps one using a cursor to trace shapes in real time, the "continue or move to interrupt" pacing, and so forth.

I imagine the projectile/action-at-a-distance aspects will probably accompany a rework of the ranged combat system, hopefully at least, I mean rightfully when you're zooming around at 10.0 speed you should see crossbow bolts hanging in the air and just walk past them or interact/grab them... not to mention being able to aim attacks at foes flying through the air like npcs can.
Engraved here is a rendition of an image of the Dwarf Fortress learning curve. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It depicts an obsidian overhang which menaces with spikes of obsidian and tears. Carved on the overhang is an image of Toady One and the players. The players are curled up in a fetal position. Toady One is laughing. The players are burning.
The VectorCurses+1 tileset strikes the square set and the severed part sails off in an arc!

KillzEmAllGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Searching for the other sock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3811 on: March 28, 2016, 04:03:47 am »

Will magic enable Elves to create metal weapons and armor or will they be able tp get their own magical enchanted metal that they can craft into what they need?

Will philosophers and poets be able to create their own myths or adept other cultures to their own?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3812 on: March 28, 2016, 11:25:15 am »

Will magic enable Elves to create metal weapons and armor or will they be able tp get their own magical enchanted metal that they can craft into what they need?

Will philosophers and poets be able to create their own myths or adept other cultures to their own?

I doubt that forest-native elves will get such a thing unless we get different entities for different flavors of elves. The issue isn't a moral distaste for metalworking, but lacking the technological developments.

Being able to have better material qualities for different types of wood is a more likely solution.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #3813 on: March 28, 2016, 11:51:37 am »

Aside from what Random_Dragon said about them lacking technological advancements, I think the more likely solution would be them getting special, unique types of wood that have similar effectiveness to different metals.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3814 on: March 28, 2016, 01:50:34 pm »

After playing around with material properties, yeah, it's possible now (and I may have to tinker with it later when I get a bug to try) to put metal type edge/yield/stiffness properties in special rare woods, and even add reactions for the elves to make said woods from others.
Engraved here is a rendition of an image of the Dwarf Fortress learning curve. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It depicts an obsidian overhang which menaces with spikes of obsidian and tears. Carved on the overhang is an image of Toady One and the players. The players are curled up in a fetal position. Toady One is laughing. The players are burning.
The VectorCurses+1 tileset strikes the square set and the severed part sails off in an arc!

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3815 on: March 28, 2016, 02:16:33 pm »

Or flesh out the wood properties so density isn't the only thing that matters. Ironwood, maybe?

Stone could use a similar degree of fleshing out. In addition to the obvious idea of beefing up the max edge for native copper/silver, it would be nice if chert could be usable. :V

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3816 on: March 28, 2016, 10:11:39 pm »

Will adventurer sites become inhabited by refugees/wandering kobolds/dance troupes/marsh titans if they're abandoned? Is it possible to abandon an adventurer site or will it always be taken over by some random person after the adventurer is dead?

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3817 on: March 28, 2016, 10:43:47 pm »

How is Scamps doing?

Alfrodo

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_STUPID]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3818 on: March 29, 2016, 03:19:12 pm »

Will Adventurer Sites have the same limitations as dwarf sites?
In essence, can we build a monastery in the middle of a mountain range or a stationary "boat" over an ocean, where you can't build fortresses?

Bins stacked full of mangoes were laid out in rows. On further inspection of the market, Cog came to the realization that everything was mangoes.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #3819 on: March 29, 2016, 04:52:19 pm »

How is Scamps doing?
A Scamps Activity Liveblog would be ideal.
Space 'Murrica! United States of Space! (Stellaris Democratic Succession)

A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3820 on: March 29, 2016, 05:02:45 pm »

Even better, every blog post is some variation of "meow meow meow"

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #3821 on: March 29, 2016, 05:10:18 pm »

Will civilizations be able to send soldiers to adventurer-created sites to reclaim them, should the adventurer die, or to forcefully take them over should the adventurer still be alive?

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3822 on: March 29, 2016, 05:22:27 pm »

How is Scamps doing?

Or a picture or whatever.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • On hiatus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3823 on: March 29, 2016, 05:27:38 pm »

How is Scamps doing?

Scamps allows Toady to post once in a while.  You want this cat to submit to being photographed as well?
On hiatus. Feel free to adopt or update:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3824 on: March 29, 2016, 06:10:18 pm »

How is Scamps doing?

Scamps featured in full leg scratching glory in a Tweet when Toady got back from the gdc. No photo sadly.
Pages: 1 ... 253 254 [255] 256 257 ... 306