Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 256 257 [258] 259 260 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1834240 times)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3855 on: April 01, 2016, 02:55:14 am »

So, full fantasy with randomly generated sentient beings and no dorfs sounds fun. Has anyone worked out the randomly generated tileset yet?

'Maximum Fantasy' setting will offer us a variety of procedurally generated races. Does that mean the Mythgen release will open up "Fortress Mode" to other types of site management modes (cities, pits, forest retreats, etc)?  Or will the system arrange to always have an underground dwelling fortress building civ available? Or not and just let you play adventurer instead?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 03:52:00 am by Shonai_Dweller »

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3856 on: April 01, 2016, 11:45:15 am »

Reading one of the sample myths from the myth generator in the PC Gamer interview, I'm really impressed by how much sense it makes, how internally consistent the details are. I can summarize the visible myth fragment in natural language quite easily: Titatheus is the creator of the world, but a fairly malevolent demiurge in the Gnostic tradition. They created the universe as we know it by disturbing the perfect fire of the Timeless Judgment with their Mischevious Test. Dwarves, in turn, are fallible but hopeful creatures. They stand between the perfection of the Timeless Judgment, from which the Zolidon Fay, enigmatic grandchild of Titatheus, took essence, and the Phupithion Stream, the Stygian river in which they were created. They chose to align themselves with the Timeless Judgment, rebelling against their creator. And indeed, dwarves who act improperly have their souls merged into the Mischevious Test that Titatheus created, while they draw their magic from the Timeless Judgment of their essence.

I'm excited to see what else arises in the final version, what impact it will have on my games, and what creative ways the community will find to exploit the arcana of whatever universes they find themselves in.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 12:04:20 pm by KillerClowns »
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #3857 on: April 01, 2016, 11:51:45 am »

Thanks for the answers, Toady. :)
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3858 on: April 01, 2016, 12:28:33 pm »

I smell a case of TLDR-itis at work on Coch's part. :V
Yes, last night I was stricken by a bad case of TLDRitis. Chalk it up to me not being terribly interested in most other people's questions.

Quote from: TheFlame52
Will dwarven merchants ever haul their wares on the backs of dralthas?
Quote from: cochramd
Will we ever see caravans and sieges come from the caverns instead of above ground? Will we ever be able to start a fortress in the caverns and have to dig up to the surface, instead of starting on the surface and digging down to the caverns?

It's much more likely to happen when we get to the deep dwarf trade from the edge of the underground layers (probably with the firstish embark scenario release).  We're certainly planning to have a cavern start scenario, though it is very hard to say now what will be in the first batch since there are so many options.
So no point in asking how deep one might be able to start, huh?

Quote from: cochramd
How high/low on your to-do list is the implementation of draft animals and the support necessary for them (feed bags, feeding troughs, etc)?

It isn't in the short-term dev plans, so it's in the amorphous rest-of-stuff with everything else.
Well, that's a tad disappointing to hear. I know you've got a whole lot of cool features in progress that are more fun to work on, but draft animals and the support necessary for them strikes me as a feature that would bring a lot of gameplay changes for relatively little coding work on your part. Everything changes when you increase how quickly a large number of things can be hauled and decrease the dwarfpower needed to do so. The support for draft animals would make caring for herds of grazers much easier in general and provide a use for them beyond the meat industry.

On the other hand, this mythology generator of yours looks like it'll rock my socks off, so who am I to question the plans of The Great Toady One?
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3859 on: April 01, 2016, 12:29:28 pm »

Reading one of the sample myths from the myth generator in the PC Gamer interview, I'm really impressed by how much sense it makes, how internally consistent the details are. I can summarize the visible myth fragment in natural language quite easily: Titatheus is the creator of the world, but a fairly malevolent demiurge in the Gnostic tradition. They created the universe as we know it by disturbing the perfect fire of the Timeless Judgment with their Mischevious Test. Dwarves, in turn, are fallible but hopeful creatures. They stand between the perfection of the Timeless Judgment, from which the Zolidon Fay, enigmatic grandchild of Titatheus, took essence, and the Phupithion Stream, the Stygian river in which they were created. They chose to align themselves with the Timeless Judgment, rebelling against their creator. And indeed, dwarves who act improperly have their souls merged into the Mischevious Test that Titatheus created, while they draw their magic from the Timeless Judgment of their essence.

I'm excited to see what else arises in the final version, what impact it will have on my games, and what creative ways the community will find to exploit the arcana of whatever universes they find themselves in.

Its definitely a good reason to keep playing in a single world .
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3860 on: April 01, 2016, 01:03:09 pm »

Now I'm going to feel even more guilty tossing out multiple worlds in the process of troubleshooting a mod...
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #3861 on: April 01, 2016, 01:04:58 pm »

I'm sorta curious as to what explanations there would be for the birth of every modded race I have in my worlds.

Also I noticed, the number 2 is selected on the image itself, so is it just one page of the entire mythology? Are the other pages about demons and various megabeasts and such?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3862 on: April 01, 2016, 01:05:23 pm »

Now I'm going to feel even more guilty tossing out multiple worlds in the process of troubleshooting a mod...

Madness. It only makes the offering to Armok's evil twin, the god of boredom, even sweeter.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3863 on: April 01, 2016, 01:11:29 pm »

Madness. It only makes the offering to Armok's evil twin, the god of boredom, even sweeter.
"The end is nigh!  For I have gazed upon the error log, and is a long sad tale indeed.  Even now, the modder's hand moves toward our destruction!  Repent while you can!"
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #3864 on: April 01, 2016, 01:23:55 pm »

will modders be able to choose what mythology their worlds have? I'd hate to make a pokemon mod, only to find out in a world it has more vanilla-ish mythology

Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3865 on: April 01, 2016, 01:28:39 pm »

will modders be able to choose what mythology their worlds have? I'd hate to make a pokemon mod, only to find out in a world it has more vanilla-ish mythology
I wouldn't expect a huge amount of control at first (other than the level-of-fantasy slider), but I would very much appreciate being able to assure there is at least one "forging of the world" or "forging life" myth in my mod, and other mods would benefit from moddable myths.

Almost everything is destined for the raws, please be patient.  (As Dirst hits F5 repeatedly waiting for the next version...)
Just got back, updating:

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3866 on: April 01, 2016, 01:32:21 pm »

I doubt it'll be any more controllable than it is now, at least not until the foundations are laid. For example, right now if I wanted to make a fantasy mod with my desired trappings, all those generated beasts (especially fucking boogeymen) are just getting in the way.

I assume these will be tweakable to a useful degree in advanced world generation, the same way most of the generated shenanigans are now, but basic worldgen will likely only have a vague "level of weirdness" slider. At least, as far as I've gathered from Toady's responses. I might be having the same TLDR-itis problem though, and might've missed an important detail as to how much control the basic world creation will give you.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3867 on: April 01, 2016, 01:41:16 pm »

Creatures and civs can both be assigned hard-coded spheres in the RAWs. It's likely the mythos for those civs/creatures will be guaranteed to be associated to the assigned spheres or, at the least, never associated to opposite ones. If your modded dark elves have [SPHERE:DARKNESS], presumably there's a check to ensure they'll probably emerge from and worship a sacred shadow or some such, and even if not, they'll never be children of sunlight.
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

tahu16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3868 on: April 01, 2016, 01:41:58 pm »

Hello!
I didn't want to take your time with this but I can't hold it any longer. As I keep checking the homepage everyday, it becomes more and more disturbing but I can't explain it why... maybe its smile?... At first I didn't mind it but now I just can't ignore it. It's watching me with it's shiny red eye! Like it is scanning my soul... I don't know what is it but I MUST know it: what is that yellow thingy with the pointing finger on the old donations menu?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3869 on: April 01, 2016, 01:49:55 pm »

I always assumed it was a goblin. Red eyes. o3o
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Pages: 1 ... 256 257 [258] 259 260 ... 306