Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 285 286 [287] 288 289 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1842609 times)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #4290 on: May 25, 2016, 10:19:55 am »

DF is full of procedurally generated races right now (titans, FB, spoilery things).

Regarding the main races, 'right now' human values are randomized, no more 'money obsessed xenophobes.
In the demo, random races only started appearing at maximum fantasy setting.

That does nothing to answer the actual question they had. ಠ_ಠ
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Jimmius

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of Drink and Industry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4291 on: May 25, 2016, 10:26:00 am »

DF is full of procedurally generated races right now (titans, FB, spoilery things).

Regarding the main races, 'right now' human values are randomized, no more 'money obsessed xenophobes.
In the demo, random races only started appearing at maximum fantasy setting.

That does nothing to answer the actual question they had. ಠ_ಠ

Well to be fair 'Randomly Generated races only appear at max setting' does answer it. I like the Idea of a traditional 'Dwarf Fortress' but played amidst a backdrop of wacky magical events and structures. Or played in a super mundane world where the drama is driven by more mundane concerns (politics, religion, money). And then also having the option of turning it up to 11 and playing as the Krivig, a race of humanoid mole-rats with wings that hate the sunlight on a flat disk planet where I'm constantly attacked by all sorts of magical BS FUN.

PS. I don't really consider the current 'proc-gen' enemies as full 'races'. More like one-off mythical enemies. I think the 'middle of the road' option should be DF as it is now: Traditional Fantasy races, with the one-off baddies being procedural.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 10:29:54 am by Jimmius »

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4292 on: May 25, 2016, 10:45:29 am »

Hmm. Yeah, it would be nice to see if the current way that randomly-generated creatures/deities/etc will be handled will be available via a particular slider, but otherwise you might have to use custom world generation.

Then again, it's rather common to custom-gen a world solely to disable boogeymen, so we're already past the point where the default contains features that a good chunk of the players disable in the first place. So knowing that, if the default "fantasticness" setting still adds some random things that a majority of players will disable, it isn't that big a change from the status quo. XP
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4293 on: May 25, 2016, 03:14:05 pm »

Why are demonic fortresses gone, and will they ever reappear? All I could find was a previous FOTF reply where you couldn't remember why you commented them out. Did you recall why?

In a similar vein, do you recall why deity-impersonating demons were removed as well?
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4294 on: May 25, 2016, 04:06:22 pm »

Do you have any plans regarding when to fix giant desert scorpions and cannibalism? You've said before that giant desert scorpions will be reimplemented, but it's been a while.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #4295 on: May 25, 2016, 04:26:34 pm »

I just ate some gorlak brains, but I still can't carve goblin bones. I think it's been half fixed.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4296 on: May 25, 2016, 04:56:32 pm »

Understanding that the premise of self-quoting isnt exactly appropriate, i recently wrote something that embodies what I want to say, save making a new response from scratch.

Its a pity that animal men up sticks to elven civilisations so readily now, rather than stay in the crude settlements they live in naturally and occasionally harass your fortress livestock by killing it (& anything else they can handle) before dragging it off the map to cash it in, or at-least that's how i remember it. Then again i can't recall encountering a animalmen settlement (a collection of huts with a announcement) from fortress mode recently in the last couple of versions even in a abandoned state, so unless its been turned off or im just very poor at finding them they might as well not exist.

Its impossible to detect them before they emigrate via worldgen (because they are a hidden embark feature that doesn't appear on the map), though you can get a feel for how many animalmen are joining the elves on account of the 'Regions' part of the legends screen informing you of their point of origin before they join the elven civilisation. (maybe ill use that to try and track down some evidence of them being there soon)

In some strange way i never really understood how that worked, if i suddenly race-swapped today or put up the raws relatively close to elves (it might be a hardcoded thing with how animalmen work or purely worldgen) would i just get legions of animalmen turning up at my door demanding residency or equipped in their own or elfish crude goods rushing in? (sounds like science potential)

Running any kind of elven tavern is pretty much 200% impractical without extensive modding so i dont think id even get the opportunity to find out without dedicating time. Prior to the tavern update i only ever settled once (maybe twice) on a animalmen site above ground, and it was certainly tense, because they saw you, and you saw them constantly edging closer then backing off like annoying neighbours behind your back trying to do the worst stuff without being caught early on.

The only animalmen i usually see nowadays are tavern visitors and completely naked ??? hamster and rat men vermin running in from time to time as a 'animal spawn'. I miss it honestly.

And as for my first question -

If the 'layer linked' subterreanean races recieve any meaningful improvements or changes in the future, would this in turn be reflected upon 'native' pre-civilisation and pre-elven civ emigration races?

And without meaning to consume too much of your time, my second question -

Given that if the aboveground animalmen tribes are not layer linked and therefore 'invisible', would possibly in future versions their settlements more visible from the embark screen and have a wider reach as a set number of variable small entities on the map if they were implemented more fully?

Quote from: Suggestive Implications detracted from the question in order to maintain conciseness.
With something like 70% of all animalmen populations in that biome sourcing from that tribal site, represented as walking around in the world rather than like their gormless feral cousins. Unless we went a skulking self contained/hybrid entity route that grows bolder and larger from successful animal hunts/raiding parties or whatever is culturally appropriate, like hamster-men guzzler roast thieves, tigermen hunters and wombat man passive plant gatherers entering your fortress borders to collect supplies. Could flavour up worldgen a bit with goofy and more serious events such as a sudden explosion in beastmen toppling, conquering & assimilating both ways a worldgen civ into a rolling tide of sieges depending on cultural values.

To some extent under this model, even with no civilization the game could still effectively work in legends, with beastmen tribes passively growing their encampments and occasionally marching out to kill others (The tigerman high chieftain declares war on the polar bear man tribal council leaders over contested hunting rights for the bloody plateau shrubland & forest region)

Letting the occasional friendly member of that entity within walking distance arriving over settle in your fortress and therefore pledging loyalty to the dwarves eliminating localised loyalty conflicts would sound like a good resolution too. But this is all spur of the moment speculation that'd probably be better purposed into a thread.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 05:05:21 pm by FantasticDorf »

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4297 on: May 25, 2016, 05:25:37 pm »

I just ate some gorlak brains, but I still can't carve goblin bones. I think it's been half fixed.

Strange. Still, I miss my minotaur leather loincloths. o3o

Plus again, giant desert scorpions. Yes, adding normal and animal-people versions would be more work, as would reworking the giant desert scorpion to be a creature variant of normal ones. But in the meantime, why the hell can't they just be added back in and reworked LATER? :V
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4298 on: May 26, 2016, 12:19:10 am »

Strange. Still, I miss my minotaur leather loincloths. o3o

Plus again, giant desert scorpions. Yes, adding normal and animal-people versions would be more work, as would reworking the giant desert scorpion to be a creature variant of normal ones. But in the meantime, why the hell can't they just be added back in and reworked LATER? :V
Why not just copy the raw-file from the wiki?
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4299 on: May 26, 2016, 12:21:11 am »

Why not just copy the raw-file from the wiki?

I already have them re-implemented in Adventurecraft. Still, why doesn't Toady do this? It would be by far the most trivial thing to unbork out of all the things popping up as of late. -_-
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #4300 on: May 26, 2016, 04:12:31 am »

Kind of reminds me of back when people were asking why Toady wouldn't just quick fix the issue of cats complaining that they had no hands. He can leave trivial issues lingering for a long time if he has a non-trivial solution in mind that will fix it later (and maybe especially so if it can be circumvented by simple modding).

For players it can be frustrating. If you play often, the annoyance of trivial issues can add up after a while. If you don't play the game much and are instead focused on implementing more major features (Toady) it probably makes sense not to invest time on trivial things when you still have important things to do. Note that I have some of the most trivial grievances around, but I try to stay zen about it, helped best by staying aware of how trivial they are.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4301 on: May 26, 2016, 08:12:07 am »

What toolchain are you using now?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4302 on: May 26, 2016, 10:25:16 am »

I've been playing around with its static code analysis tool, which located some interesting typos which have probably screwed up the medical bedrest and ghost behavior among other things.

I feel sorry for the code analyzer program.  Either it saw the code and immediately reported that it was made by a high class Italian pasta chef.  Or it had to sit in awe for a few moments as it had something akin to a programming religious experience.

Then it finally reports back something like "Dude, you know they stay in bed forever because you forgot to camel case on this line?"
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4303 on: May 26, 2016, 10:35:36 am »

I've been playing around with its static code analysis tool, which located some interesting typos which have probably screwed up the medical bedrest and ghost behavior among other things.

I feel sorry for the code analyzer program.  Either it saw the code and immediately reported that it was made by a high class Italian pasta chef.  Or it had to sit in awe for a few moments as it had something akin to a programming religious experience.

Then it finally reports back something like "Dude, you know they stay in bed forever because you forgot to camel case on this line?"
My reaction was that a few interesting typos in the sim we live in could explain a lot of quantum mechanics.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4304 on: May 26, 2016, 12:40:59 pm »

Kind of reminds me of back when people were asking why Toady wouldn't just quick fix the issue of cats complaining that they had no hands. He can leave trivial issues lingering for a long time if he has a non-trivial solution in mind that will fix it later (and maybe especially so if it can be circumvented by simple modding).

True, but that adds to the frustration. Though honestly, throughout the whole of DF2014, I've never really found any problem with the sea of bugs, other than timeless annoyances like the gauntlet bug and custom reaction fuckery. And even those I shrug off because they tend to be high-hassle, low-reward bugs

It's just that .42.XX and .43.XX have seen a surge of new content with a seemingly disproportionate lack of bug fixes to go with them, especially relative to the amount of bugs created by each bit of new content. Seems like only recently that it's gotten to the point of frustration to me.

Or maybe my being a former contributor to Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead is now biting me in the ass, by way of every trivial-to-fix bug I encounter triggering my "fixitfixitmakeapullrequestyoufooool" reflex. >_>
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Pages: 1 ... 285 286 [287] 288 289 ... 306