Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 300 301 [302] 303 304 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1834399 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #4515 on: June 28, 2016, 03:38:49 am »

listen okay

i live on that river and lemme tell you it looks rather crossable that way

i can see where one would make the mistake

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4516 on: June 28, 2016, 07:11:54 am »

Given the Dwarfmoot talked about boat draft, you'd need to use piers to get out to a sufficient depth for the boats to float free. You can currently build floors/piers without a problem, but last time I tried to build a wave breaker it failed as waves just continued through without being affected.
One the one hand, using a dry dock to build a boat is a great usage of dwarven engineering, but on the other hand it doesn't match the boat building technology of the DF timeline. I'd go for the dry dock anyway, though, as building the boat on land and slide it into the water is likely to be tricky.

I already made a suggestion thread with track driven boats from the land if its at all relevant to the discussion or the dwarfmoot question.

Boat Mechanics/Or just 'mounted' mechanics in general

Besides from that...

And what if your boat IS the wagon?
A new Hollywood blockbuster in the making. Zombie Sperm Whale vs Wagon.

Battlecart - A thrilling summer blockbuster in which dwarven and elven naval fleets must unite to defeat a technologically advanced race of gecko men to stop a oncoming army. After a narrow defeat in which both fleets are lost, the crew are marooned upon the shore and must petition the fortress inhabitants to take the battle back to the water using the starting wagon, that has been gathering dust defunct for decades.

Urist McGoombaBrother

• Bay Watcher
  • Trust the plump helmet! ♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠
    • View Profile
« Reply #4517 on: June 28, 2016, 09:41:16 am »

Will there be some more fixes/enhancements regarding the workshop details menu? Or is the actual status considered as finished? I am especially referring to clay workshops and non-hardcoded reactions/reactions for muscial instruments for other workshops like the mason.

I made this thread (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158090.0) for more detailled information, what I mean. Not sure, if I shall make an entry at the mantis bug tracker for this or whether those are features for the suggestion forum.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4518 on: June 28, 2016, 09:50:57 am »

And what if your boat IS the wagon?
Sigh, it's like you've never been in a caravan.  Obviously you pack a wagon and a couple puller animals in the boat, then throw the boat in the wagon when necessary.

Actually, if the game can handle portaging a longboat it should also be able to handle a battering ram, a which would be awesome.

"Watch those corners!"
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #4519 on: June 28, 2016, 10:33:37 am »

will eventually(way WAY back if ever, probably) invaders be able to repurpose your fort to live there, while you are still there? like for instance if your dwarves are stuck underground, the goblins could make a fort on the surface.

Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4520 on: June 28, 2016, 10:49:59 am »

Unless goblin built walls/floors are impregnable to dwarves, I wouldn't want to be the goblins and get sneak attacks from beneath all the time...

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4521 on: June 28, 2016, 11:00:13 am »

will eventually(way WAY back if ever, probably) invaders be able to repurpose your fort to live there, while you are still there? like for instance if your dwarves are stuck underground, the goblins could make a fort on the surface.

Humans already build keeps directly over conquered elven forest retreats.

And im sure that goblins already do also build trenches and outdoor fortifications on conquered sites too.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4522 on: June 28, 2016, 12:25:39 pm »

On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4523 on: June 28, 2016, 05:25:56 pm »

Woohoo to the updated development notes page! Awesome stuff.
By "editors for fixed worlds" is that what you were talking about at Dwarfmoot with people being able to create their own worlds and sites and make Moria replicas, etc?

Whatsifsowhatsit

• Bay Watcher
  • Big geek
    • View Profile
« Reply #4524 on: June 28, 2016, 05:58:00 pm »

Quote from: Updated development page
  • Hostility settings: No death or violence to regular settings to bleak and horrifying

What would "bleak and horrifying" entail? Would this include some of the things that have traditionally been avoided in Dwarf Fortress for various reasons, such as sex and (lack of) consent and whatnot? (There were, I think, some other similar things that I don't remember off the top of my head.)

Although such things can indeed evoke strong emotions, and not always positive, they also can be important components of the more bleak types of stories, sometimes; and Dwarf Fortress does of course aim to be a generator of many different kinds of stories. I understand many people do not want these sorts of things in their worlds/play, but that's alright so long as it's a setting (with probably the default set to the regular settings as we know them now or some such), right? Perhaps?

(Actually now that I read it again it says "hostility settings", so perhaps this really is just about the level of violence, and not other things about how friendly versus horrible things get. In that case, my question stands but without the reference to the dev page.)

Oh, and at the other side of the spectrum, is "No death [...]" to be taken literally? Will there be no death at all in this setting (and what would that mean for the demographics and such of the worlds)? Or just no death due to fights and wars and the like?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 06:01:14 pm by Whatsifsowhatsit »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4525 on: June 28, 2016, 06:35:50 pm »

Humans already build keeps directly over conquered elven forest retreats.

And im sure that goblins already do also build trenches and outdoor fortifications on conquered sites too.
Human conquered forest retreats end up with temples too.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #4526 on: June 28, 2016, 07:39:46 pm »

Oh fortress starting scenarios, how I doth pine for thee.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4527 on: June 28, 2016, 07:57:01 pm »

It seems all the new planned features will take forever. Well I'm here for almost ten years already...

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #4528 on: June 28, 2016, 08:18:33 pm »

Will we be able to play as said intelligent artifacts? Will we at least be able to talk to them?

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #4529 on: June 29, 2016, 12:34:55 am »

So much cool stuff, but:

• Ability to send a squad off the map to fetch a stolen artifact

That sounds like the first step to something huge.
Pages: 1 ... 300 301 [302] 303 304 ... 306