Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 302 303 [304] 305 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1834229 times)

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #4545 on: June 29, 2016, 09:43:14 pm »

The mercenary might demand the cash sum or equivalent weight in precious metals/goods, but potentially on the cards is getting the adventurer betrothed to a fortress member...

Interesting! That does sound about right for a fantasy or medieval setting.

How would the fortress member to be betrothed get selected, though? Obviously, those already married or in a relationship would be excluded. And the adventurer's preferences/traits should be a factor. But would the mayor make the actual selection? The player? Does the would-be betrothed get a choice to decline (based on her/his traits and compatibility)? Perhaps fortress members who are having unhappy thoughts are more likely to jump at a chance to leave the fort by being married off?

If the player does not get to choose or have a say, that could potentially suck. Losing a new migrant with no skills of note or a cheesemaker might not matter. But imagine loosing your mighty Captain of the Guard or your only Legendary Weaponsmith...

We could pay them as they pay ours adventurers - with only a big boost to reputation.  :)

Err... Yes. As long as reputation is about all the player gets in Adventure Mode, it makes no sense to be forced to pay quest takers in something other than reputation in Fort Mode.

But, I really hope that changes some day. Being paid in reputation is nice and all. Though, if I had a choice, I'd probably choose a tangible reward like money or items about half the time or as about 50% of payment.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 05:31:58 am by Thundercraft »

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4546 on: June 29, 2016, 09:57:30 pm »

Here's a thought:

Will the expanded magic system allow for crafting reactions granted via interactions/artifacts/etc? If so, will a crafting reaction learned via interaction be usable in adventure mode? If so I can see this being very useful for modding, like making elves able to innately shape wood, or otherwise add reactions that aren't immediately accessible to ALL adventurers.

If not, I might have to bloat the suggestions forum a little more... owo
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4547 on: June 29, 2016, 10:12:13 pm »

Here's a thought:

Will the expanded magic system allow for crafting reactions granted via interactions/artifacts/etc? If so, will a crafting reaction learned via interaction be usable in adventure mode? If so I can see this being very useful for modding, like making elves able to innately shape wood, or otherwise add reactions that aren't immediately accessible to ALL adventurers.

If not, I might have to bloat the suggestions forum a little more... owo

"After years of service to the Order, you have finally proven your worthiness to learn our most-guarded secret."
"I would not attempt to deny my excitement at this news, Grand Master."
"And as you know, divulging the secret would forfeit your life and your afterlife."
"Naturally."
"Let us begin.  This is how you make a helve using woodcrafting skill."
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4548 on: June 29, 2016, 10:14:31 pm »

I was thinking more along the lines of grown wood panties, but eh. o3o
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Anton2181

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4549 on: June 30, 2016, 05:16:14 am »

Will we be able to travel across the seas in Adventure Mode? Some kind of port system that could transport you across the water or along the coast would be great.

JesterHell696

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ALL:PERSONAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4550 on: June 30, 2016, 05:48:16 am »

Quote from: Updated development page
  • Hostility settings: No death or violence to regular settings to bleak and horrifying

What would "bleak and horrifying" entail? Would this include some of the things that have traditionally been avoided in Dwarf Fortress for various reasons, such as sex and (lack of) consent and whatnot? (There were, I think, some other similar things that I don't remember off the top of my head.)

Although such things can indeed evoke strong emotions, and not always positive, they also can be important components of the more bleak types of stories, sometimes; and Dwarf Fortress does of course aim to be a generator of many different kinds of stories. I understand many people do not want these sorts of things in their worlds/play, but that's alright so long as it's a setting (with probably the default set to the regular settings as we know them now or some such), right? Perhaps?

(Actually now that I read it again it says "hostility settings", so perhaps this really is just about the level of violence, and not other things about how friendly versus horrible things get. In that case, my question stands but without the reference to the dev page.)

I like the idea of a setting that could enable you to generate worlds from My Little Pony-esque with almost no violence or horror to a Berserk-esque world with extreme violence and horror, got to admit I would love to be able to play as Guts and non-consensual sex is a big part of Guts story.

Literally just the world of Beserk. Go mod in a claymore, roll a human character with one eye and you're all set to go.

Smear blood eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeverywheeere

As someone who loves berserk (Yay, they are finally off that F*#king boat) I would love to generate worlds of Berserk level horror, I suppose some of it could be modded in now, use a combination of titan and were-creature stuff to make apostles but I'm not that good of a modder as it took me a couple hour to get my centaurs to walk...

Also there actually a Berserk dragon slayer sword mod here.

Code: [Select]
[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_DRAGONSLAYER]
 [NAME:dragonslayer:dragonslayers]
 [SIZE:1800]
 [SKILL:SWORD]
 [TWO_HANDED:77500]
 [MINIMUM_SIZE:62500]
 [MATERIAL_SIZE:15]
 [ATTACK:EDGE:200000:8000:slash:slashes:NO_SUB:6000]
 [ATTACK:EDGE:250:4000:stab:stabs:NO_SUB:5000]
 [ATTACK:BLUNT:500000:8000:slap:slaps:flat:6000]
 [ATTACK:BLUNT:500:1000:strike:strikes:pommel:5000]

Try this.
"The long-term goal is to create a fantasy world simulator in which it is possible to take part in a rich history, occupying a variety of roles through the course of several games." Bay 12 DF development page

"My stance is that Dwarf Fortress is first and foremost a simulation and that balance is a secondary objective that is always secondary to it being a simulation while at the same time cannot be ignored completely." -Neonivek

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4551 on: June 30, 2016, 05:57:40 am »

Will we be able to travel across the seas in Adventure Mode? Some kind of port system that could transport you across the water or along the coast would be great.
Boats are planned after Scenarios and before Economy right now (so yeah, but might take a while). In the meantime fly with an animal-man or walk with a vampire!

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #4552 on: June 30, 2016, 06:46:52 am »

I am staring at that devlog and at the mention of the alternate magical lands, aligned with sphere and stuff. And It just hit me, we've had threads about alternate landforms, buttes, hot springs, geysers, etc. But has anyone ever suggested floating lands? They seem a very common fantasy staple(with the more extreme examples having there only be floating lands and sea, or floating lands that move about the map... perhaps a bit too intense for df), and they'd probably need floatboats to be any fun, but I can't off the top of my head recall floating lands be suggested or talked about.

Anyone recall?

Edit: Since when are there so many sex and reproduction threads in the suggestion forum? Did everyone who suggests poop decide that if not the digestive system, the reproductive system needs to be the one that is simulated 100% correctly in df O_O
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 07:43:01 am by therahedwig »
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Whatsifsowhatsit

• Bay Watcher
  • Big geek
    • View Profile
« Reply #4553 on: June 30, 2016, 07:26:35 am »

I like the idea of a setting that could enable you to generate worlds from My Little Pony-esque with almost no violence or horror to a Berserk-esque world with extreme violence and horror, got to admit I would love to be able to play as Guts and non-consensual sex is a big part of Guts story.

As someone who likes both My Little Pony (please don't hate me) and The Walking Dead/Game of Thrones/etc., I would love this. I would play both extremes depending on mood and caprice.

Also, you're the second person to have mentioned Berserk in response to my question. I'm not familiar with this, but you guys make it sound interesting. It must be this, right?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4554 on: June 30, 2016, 08:42:37 am »

Boats are planned after Scenarios and before Economy right now (so yeah, but might take a while). In the meantime fly with an animal-man or walk with a vampire!

Thats another thing i was thinking about.

Past the introduction of the first boats to the game (whatever iteration that may take initially) will it be likely that we will see a content boost of oceans to spice them up a bit (assuming optimisation allows us to engage with oceans) with the manifestation of coral (since it doesn't practically exist) and additional variety of creatures for aquamarine monster hunters to pursue and navies to bump into accidently. Thinking along the lines of the warhammer spin-off Man'O'War.

The fleet known as the Twisted Tongs has been ambushed by a primordial giant white sperm whale!

JesterHell696

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ALL:PERSONAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4555 on: June 30, 2016, 10:55:17 am »

As someone who likes both My Little Pony (please don't hate me) and The Walking Dead/Game of Thrones/etc., I would love this. I would play both extremes depending on mood and caprice.

I don't hate MLP, whatever floats your boat man.

Also, you're the second person to have mentioned Berserk in response to my question. I'm not familiar with this, but you guys make it sound interesting. It must be this, right?

I was talking about the manga but yeah that is the anime adaptation, I love the story and guts is awesome and I suggest reading the manga when you have the time.
"The long-term goal is to create a fantasy world simulator in which it is possible to take part in a rich history, occupying a variety of roles through the course of several games." Bay 12 DF development page

"My stance is that Dwarf Fortress is first and foremost a simulation and that balance is a secondary objective that is always secondary to it being a simulation while at the same time cannot be ignored completely." -Neonivek

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4556 on: June 30, 2016, 10:57:19 am »

I am staring at that devlog and at the mention of the alternate magical lands, aligned with sphere and stuff. And It just hit me, we've had threads about alternate landforms, buttes, hot springs, geysers, etc. But has anyone ever suggested floating lands? They seem a very common fantasy staple(with the more extreme examples having there only be floating lands and sea, or floating lands that move about the map... perhaps a bit too intense for df), and they'd probably need floatboats to be any fun, but I can't off the top of my head recall floating lands be suggested or talked about.

Anyone recall?

There's "flying sites, can be handled like boats somewhat" as a goal in one of threetoes stories, involving a flying castle, so it's bound to be in their notes somewhere ^^

Whatsifsowhatsit

• Bay Watcher
  • Big geek
    • View Profile
« Reply #4557 on: June 30, 2016, 11:37:43 am »

I was talking about the manga but yeah that is the anime adaptation, I love the story and guts is awesome and I suggest reading the manga when you have the time.

Cool, will do!

Heretic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4558 on: June 30, 2016, 04:01:24 pm »

Just a new brunch of questions from russian fans.

1. Why it is impossible to distribute the computation to find the path of creatures between the threads?
I know, here are  a lot of problems with no-blocking aссess to memory, but for example i can't find any objections to separate eery hundred of creatures in fortress to different processor, to create fortresses with population more than 300+ dwarves.
Other idea is to separate working with world outside of fortress to other thread - i think here is no need for big changes for it.
Ok, it's just not suggestion - i sure  you thinking all this and found some problems, and i just intrested to find more about these problems.
2.Whether the dwarves have the opportunity to remarry?In some sutuation, with some ethics, with law-realese, etc.
3.Would player be able to animate inanimate objects and plants with some magic systems? For example, it would be possible to assemble an army of Ents or swarm of knives?
4.About intellegent artifacts... what about books that can impact on the psyche and beliefs of reader?
I mean, that could be done some of these things that's vampires, parasites suck the soul, or anything like that.
5.What about runic magic or something else similar to it?It's really dwarf-style.
6.Are you planning diversify the dwarven politics? Make meetings, protests, get to fight for the financial situation?
7.Are you planning natural calamities and disasters? Floods there, earthquakes, volcanic?
8.How do you imagine the mental weapon in the DF?
9. Would seasons impact on agriculture more realistic?
10. Will there be further developed composite objects, in addition to music. tools? I meant things like to see armor made of plates, rivets, leather straps, or, for example, chain mail from a pile of steel rings, wooden spears, and the tip of the handle of the crossbow, arcs etc.
11. Will it somehow resist exploits? Would impose restrictions on the amount that can accommodate a tile (excluding living creatures) that there was no quantum warehouses?//
12. Do you plan to modify the skills system? The ideal option in (not)my opinion - the separation of knowledge required for the job, attributes, and motor skills. That this would be the most it. Cutter can easily become an engraver, having due talents and woodcutter quickly learn to chop enemies. Any same varschiki potash and soap-boiler are good brew. And vice versa - the jeweler will be hard to learn how to dig, and craftsman of the soldier will be released so-so.
13. That C++ feature is our favorite? Especially in modern C++.
14. How many classes in DF code, summary?
15. Have you any plans to replace hell(as location) to genrated system, included into myth generation? For exmple, in world with zero fantasy we should n't have hell.
16. Can you tell more about how you represent fragments of primal egg and other generated mega-location, how big they should be?
17. Pleaaase give as some screeeens from myth generator, demonstrated in video from conferetion...
18. And some  Scamps :P
19. If you still remember , how the revolutions works ... What reasons are possible?
20. Why where are so few hunters monsters?
21.When the game learn to understand that civilization is dead and why it is so difficult to code?
22. I know, in DF more features then I can find, playing for ages of real time...
Possible you can tell as more about one random feature, that you really like but but it is rarely used?
23. Have you even use genetic alghoritms\genetic programming or neural networks?

Big thanks!
Very sorry for the mistakes (writing in a hurry), and some smell of suggestions... Most part of them - not my ideas.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 05:07:50 am by Heretic »

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4559 on: June 30, 2016, 04:13:58 pm »

@Heretic : just an advice, you should use a greener green for the question, and add a space between questions. It would help, for a better reading.
Pages: 1 ... 302 303 [304] 305 306