Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 303 304 [305] 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1834249 times)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #4560 on: June 30, 2016, 04:20:21 pm »

Lime green is your friiieeend.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #4561 on: June 30, 2016, 08:23:28 pm »

How do you manage/distribute time? Do you have any fixed schedule like 4 hours a day trying to build with new compiler, then interrupt and 4 hours to work on new features, then interrupt and 1 hour reading mail, and so on?

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #4562 on: June 30, 2016, 10:11:27 pm »

In the wonderful new dev page on artifacts and myths, you mention "creative actions taken by gods and ancient races" as a source of creatures, land forms, etc.  Will it be possible for creatures in the raws, that will be physically present in the world after generation, to take part in these actions?  I think of one of my modded races, and some domesticated creatures, as having been altered or created by another modded race.  I would love being able to make the creation myths reflect this.  Also, I could imagine powerful wizards creating creatures as servants, or a lasting legacy, in the latter stages of creation.

You also talk about portals that can introduce new materials and creatures to a world.  What will determine the things that can come from these portals?  Will it be possible to limit raw-defined creatures to originate from a particular sort of portal, or from portals in general?
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4563 on: June 30, 2016, 10:37:44 pm »

In the wonderful new dev page on artifacts and myths, you mention "creative actions taken by gods and ancient races" as a source of creatures, land forms, etc.  Will it be possible for creatures in the raws, that will be physically present in the world after generation, to take part in these actions?  I think of one of my modded races, and some domesticated creatures, as having been altered or created by another modded race.  I would love being able to make the creation myths reflect this.  Also, I could imagine powerful wizards creating creatures as servants, or a lasting legacy, in the latter stages of creation.

You also talk about portals that can introduce new materials and creatures to a world.  What will determine the things that can come from these portals?  Will it be possible to limit raw-defined creatures to originate from a particular sort of portal, or from portals in general?
Really hoping the answer is yes to at least some of this :)

To follow up on what you said during Dwarfmoot, the second half of my question was about how modders would interact with the myth generator.  Do you envision giving modders some control over worldgen?  Not to get too suggestion-y, but something like packing default worldgen parameters somewhere in the raws.  Or letting certain game objects appear only under certain conditions.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4564 on: June 30, 2016, 10:43:58 pm »

How do you manage/distribute time? Do you have any fixed schedule like 4 hours a day trying to build with new compiler, then interrupt and 4 hours to work on new features, then interrupt and 1 hour reading mail, and so on?

Having been watching the thread for the latest version, it almost seems like unfucking compiling has devoured most of his time.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Hellcommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4565 on: July 01, 2016, 12:23:59 am »

Do you play not make it possible to hold on to something and move (ei so something that is very strong and could fly can grab someone, fly, and then drop them for deadly damage or enable land mob to grab a enemy and pull it somewhere)?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4566 on: July 01, 2016, 01:08:50 am »

Carrying wounded and such is definitely planned to be fleshed out more as I recall.

• Bay Watcher
  • Heresy will not be tolerated
    • View Profile
« Reply #4567 on: July 01, 2016, 03:56:51 pm »

Is their plans for artifact armor that affects (be it positively or adversely) the attributes of the user, such as strength, speed and other things.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 04:50:56 pm by 90908 »
We have a rich tradition of percussion instruments as well, all of which are based around a musician smacking variously sized hollow rocks.
It was quite brutal actually. Who knew you could suffer major head trauma from undergarments?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4568 on: July 01, 2016, 04:40:27 pm »

Is their plans for artifact armor that affects (be it positively or adversely) the attributes of the user, such as strength, speed and other things.

• Bay Watcher
  • Heresy will not be tolerated
    • View Profile
« Reply #4569 on: July 01, 2016, 04:50:30 pm »

I apologise for my transgressions.
We have a rich tradition of percussion instruments as well, all of which are based around a musician smacking variously sized hollow rocks.
It was quite brutal actually. Who knew you could suffer major head trauma from undergarments?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4570 on: July 01, 2016, 05:07:04 pm »

It's green at least. o3o
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #4571 on: July 01, 2016, 05:46:01 pm »

This may be somewhat of an odd question, but are there any plans for a megabeast lair revamp?

What I mean is, and it links with the second question I want to ask, will there eventually be more types of sites that serve as lairs, and will some of them be more like randomly generated dungeons in the vein of vaults, with minions and such and the megabeast serving as the "boss" at the end of it? Of course there'd still be the more simple burrows/mounds and such as obviously a large dungeon wouldn't fit a roc or a hydra, but if there's eventually gonna be randomly generated sentient titan/FB-like creatures then it'd probably more fitting for them to settle in more elaborate sites with worshippers or some other types of servants.

As for the second question: will there be more randomly generated dungeons and whatnot later on? For example, abandoned aboveground castles and fortresses with zombified peasants and other servants, and an evil king/queen wielding some type of artifact weapon or amulet that lets them raise the dead and also makes any type of undead obey.

I'm guessing these are already planned but I had to ask for clarification after this came up in a private convo.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4572 on: July 01, 2016, 05:55:11 pm »

I don't know if Toady's ever answered this directly, but the answer is doubtlessly yes.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4573 on: July 01, 2016, 06:06:59 pm »

I don't know if Toady's ever answered this directly, but the answer is doubtlessly yes.
Toady's occassionally said magic items should be more than just a simple "D&D +2 broadsword" so, there's actually a chance that it's 'No'. At least not directly. 'Turns you into a vampire thereby raising your stats', perhaps?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 06:11:20 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4574 on: July 01, 2016, 06:19:42 pm »

Toady's occassionally said magic items should be more than just a simple "D&D +2 broadsword" so, there's actually a chance that it's 'No'. At least not directly. 'Turns you into a vampire thereby raising your stats', perhaps?

The Adams brothers usually look for reference into fantasy novels, myths, history and movies instead of games. Armors and weapons that changes their users into something extraordinaire aren't unusual in these sources, so while we won't have a "Armor of Defense +2" I bet we are going to have a similar effect.
Pages: 1 ... 303 304 [305] 306