Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Goblins keep dying out. What's wrong?  (Read 958 times)

Stiefel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Goblins keep dying out. What's wrong?
« on: July 13, 2014, 08:56:48 pm »

Every time I generate a new map, there are never any goblin settlements, and I am never invaded by anyone. Not even orcs, who are everywhere. I have tried multiple maps, and I am lacking this crucial part of the early game.

locustgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Goblins keep dying out. What's wrong?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 09:00:46 pm »

Every time I generate a new map, there are never any goblin settlements, and I am never invaded by anyone. Not even orcs, who are everywhere. I have tried multiple maps, and I am lacking this crucial part of the early game.

There's a bug where they don't show, though the baby snatcher corpse speaks differently. In vanilla I mean.

JAK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 09:22:20 pm »

I don't know if this is related to your issue, but I've had a huge fortress now (Pop of 200, created wealth is about 6.2 million dorfbucks) that is almost nine years old. It has had a grand total of 5 ambushes (1 succubus, 1 Orc, 1 Drow, 2 Goblin), 1 megabeast attack (Giant, decapitated by a steel-equipped recruit), and 0 sieges. I'm able to keep my whole 4x4 map secure with 36 troops in a patrol/training rotation + exotic war animals. I've never even seen a Frost Giant or Automaton, though I know they exist (the option to declare war is in the embassy and occasionally they show up in engravings).

In a test of the embassy war declarations, doing it to goblins just spawned about a dozen off-season child snatcher attempts.

I'm tempted to use the embassy now until I get a serious threat. I suppose I could just invite the circus, but I expected a much greater challenge from surface invaders. Could my settlement's distance from other civilized areas affect the frequency AND severity of attacks? When the orcs came at the time of the human caravan, there was only five. It was no feint to hide to hide a second larger ambush, this was it. The caravan guards trashed them.

Stiefel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 09:32:37 pm »

I don't know if this is related to your issue, but I've had a huge fortress now (Pop of 200, created wealth is about 6.2 million dorfbucks) that is almost nine years old. It has had a grand total of 5 ambushes (1 succubus, 1 Orc, 1 Drow, 2 Goblin), 1 megabeast attack (Giant, decapitated by a steel-equipped recruit), and 0 sieges. I'm able to keep my whole 4x4 map secure with 36 troops in a patrol/training rotation + exotic war animals. I've never even seen a Frost Giant or Automaton, though I know they exist (the option to declare war is in the embassy and occasionally they show up in engravings).

In a test of the embassy war declarations, doing it to goblins just spawned about a dozen off-season child snatcher attempts.

I'm tempted to use the embassy now until I get a serious threat. I suppose I could just invite the circus, but I expected a much greater challenge from surface invaders. Could my settlement's distance from other civilized areas affect the frequency AND severity of attacks? When the orcs came at the time of the human caravan, there was only five. It was no feint to hide to hide a second larger ambush, this was it. The caravan guards trashed them.
I've made settlements close to orcs, and I don't get any invasions by them ever.

SabbyKat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 12:08:22 am »

One tip for 'lack of sieges' (beyond turning more siege races on) - edit the 'amount of civilizations' in world generation (near the very last page of world generation). it's default 40, I usuall put at 120-180 and I see sieges literally every damn season. As more more civilizations=less chance of them simply dying off, closer settlements to your fort=faster travel time to siege you, and such things.

Note: there are dozens of factors for goblins and such to 'die off' in world gen. I'm simply mentioning the best variable to help alleviate this.

JAK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 02:06:16 am »

Oh, that sounds like an interesting solution. I turned the civs up to 60 in mine, but I never thought of cranking it up that high. I'll have to try it next world.

By the way, declaring wars multiple times with the embassy will start assaults.

Stiefel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 02:13:01 am »

One tip for 'lack of sieges' (beyond turning more siege races on) - edit the 'amount of civilizations' in world generation (near the very last page of world generation). it's default 40, I usuall put at 120-180 and I see sieges literally every damn season. As more more civilizations=less chance of them simply dying off, closer settlements to your fort=faster travel time to siege you, and such things.

Note: there are dozens of factors for goblins and such to 'die off' in world gen. I'm simply mentioning the best variable to help alleviate this.
My computer couldn't handle that many civs, so I just set it to 80. We'll see if this works.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2014, 09:15:25 am »

Good news for you, in this version goblins are basically de facto rulers! Immortal trolls+goblins isn't the most fair.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

JAK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2014, 10:12:32 am »

My computer couldn't handle that many civs, so I just set it to 80. We'll see if this works.

How many times did you try running the worldgen? The first couple times I experimented with extra settings to get more volcanoes I got crashes. They seemed to stop on the third try. I don't know why it would work but it's worth a try.