Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Spoiler weapons  (Read 4981 times)

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spoiler weapons
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2014, 07:36:25 pm »

Maybe I just never tried, actually I think I have... (fuzzy memory?), but can you melt cotton candy weaps? I have this idea that you can't do that but I'm not sure it's accurate.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2014, 11:32:09 pm »

Maybe I just never tried, actually I think I have... (fuzzy memory?), but can you melt cotton candy weaps? I have this idea that you can't do that but I'm not sure it's accurate.

You can definitely melt down adamantine. I lost a stack of about 60 wafers that way once, due to a misunderstanding that the melting table in the wiki were referring to every metal but adamantine. I was melting and reforging my candy weapon over and over again trying to get all masterwork versions. Needless to say I was not happy when I looked at my stocks menu and found out the hard way that the 90 to 120% melting returns on candy weapons were in fact around 30% instead.

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2014, 11:50:05 pm »

So is it simply the material these generated weapons are made of that makes them so deadly or does the weapon itself lend to its effectiveness? How would one of these weapons stack up if it were made of steel or something mundane like that? Is there even a way to test that?
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

RealFear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2014, 12:47:26 am »

So is it simply the material these generated weapons are made of that makes them so deadly or does the weapon itself lend to its effectiveness? How would one of these weapons stack up if it were made of steel or something mundane like that? Is there even a way to test that?

I'm pretty sure that the way weapons are set up, you can't actually get them to vary in effectiveness dramatically unless you give them physically impossible properties.
But yeah, the materials that they are made out of tend to be better then steel.
It's a reverse hostage situation, if you kill the snatchers they'll fill your fort with babies.

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2014, 02:30:14 am »

I'm pretty sure that the way weapons are set up, you can't actually get them to vary in effectiveness dramatically unless you give them physically impossible properties.
But yeah, the materials that they are made out of tend to be better then steel.

A weapon's effectiveness is determined by the parameters set in its raw entry just as much as the material it is made of.The relative size, contact area, penetration, and damage type all effect exactly how the weapon hurts the enemy. Without that data, the weapon is useless no matter what it's made of. A scimitar is a better cutting weapon than a short sword while a spear is a better stabbing weapon than both, and that is a property of their different raw data.

That's the information we'd need to fully test the effectiveness of a generated weapon. With that, someone could create a duplicate weapon that can be tested in the arena. I used steel as an example , but any vanilla metal with well-known properties would suffice for combat testing.
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

Bloax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2014, 06:55:52 am »

A scimitar is a better cutting weapon than a short sword
WRONG
Code: [Select]
[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_SWORD_SHORT]
[NAME:short sword:short swords]
[SIZE:300]
[SKILL:SWORD]
[TWO_HANDED:37500]
[MINIMUM_SIZE:32500]
[CAN_STONE]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:3]
[ATTACK:EDGE:20000:4000:slash:slashes:NO_SUB:1250]
[ATTACK_PREPARE_AND_RECOVER:3:3]
[ATTACK:EDGE:50:2000:stab:stabs:NO_SUB:1000]
[ATTACK:BLUNT:20000:4000:slap:slaps:flat:1250]
[ATTACK:BLUNT:100:1000:strike:strikes:pommel:1000]
Code: [Select]
[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_SCIMITAR]
[NAME:scimitar:scimitars]
[SIZE:300]
[SKILL:SWORD]
[TWO_HANDED:37500]
[MINIMUM_SIZE:32500]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:3]
[ATTACK:EDGE:20000:4000:slash:slashes:NO_SUB:1250]
[ATTACK:EDGE:50:2000:stab:stabs:NO_SUB:1000]
[ATTACK:BLUNT:20000:4000:slap:slaps:flat:1250]
[ATTACK:BLUNT:50:1000:strike:strikes:pommel:1000]
they are actually exactly the same because the vanilla RAWs are quite lackluster :^DDD

But honestly, the material is the most important quality of a weapon. Because what material it is made of affects what armor it can pierce, and even the worst weapon materials usually do a quite good job of killing unarmored targets.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 07:00:00 am by Bloax »

oh_no

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2014, 07:31:09 am »

Weapons vary greatly in efficacy depending on material and on the raws defining the weapons physical traits.

A wooden arrow will go through adamantine armor. It's not that wood is a great material but rather that the arrow has some rather nasty physical properties. An iron battle axe cannot pierce iron armor no matter how many times you try but an iron spear will go strait through it as will a steel battle axe. Edged weapons are much more dependent on being made of good materials. The larger the contact area the more important it becomes for the edged weapon to be made of superior material to whatever it is hitting.

Materials and weapon quality are much less important with blunt weapons although generally the denser the better. All the spoiler metals are best used as armor or edged weapons. They make rather poor bashing sticks. I did some testing with divine metal hammers and maces and they were definitely inferior to silver where as divine metal axes were very effective.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 07:32:49 am by Melting Sky »

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2014, 11:49:47 am »

Looking at the raws of these new weapons, it's safe to say that the new materials is what makes them so deadly. If I'm reading this correctly, there is pretty much no difference between a "jagged" pike and a normal one. 
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2014, 03:45:08 am »

Looking at the raws of these new weapons, it's safe to say that the new materials is what makes them so deadly. If I'm reading this correctly, there is pretty much no difference between a "jagged" pike and a normal one.
Correct.

Toady briefly posted on the subject of the new metals and materials. From what I can gather he has plans to expand on the concept of procedurally generated materials so that they will eventually have varying properties. I think the plan is probably for these new weapon types to also be modeled with varying properties in some future update.

Pages: 1 [2]