Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 62

Author Topic: Dwarven Child Care [Reboot] (Werezombie Cloning Tech (What in Armok's name?!))  (Read 204891 times)

dexxy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Child Care [Reboot]
« Reply #150 on: August 16, 2014, 12:52:59 am »

How about making ordinary weapon traps, with training weapons in them. If a cared-for child goes unconscious on the trap, they get trained.

Then all you need to do is make them go unconscious on the weapon traps, maybe by using cavein dust or something.

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 16, 2014, 02:32:42 am »

Alright, so I've drawn up a couple of designs for what I think will work. It is by no means compact, and I've built multiple fail-safes into it too, so we can lose as few kids as possible. Generally sacrificing children is a widely encouraged thing, but when these kids are the next generation of super soldier, we want them as intact as possible.

Unfortunately I'm at work, so I'll upload them later.

This one is designed for 2 or 4 dwarves. They should be able to survive the loss of at least 2 friends without throwing a tantrum. That way they can gain social skills and related attributes whenever not training.

A previous post mentioned a problem with an elevated food stockpile, in that, instead of going back to the meeting area to get repeatedly beat by sticks, he hung on the wall. To counter this, I've separated the food and booze stockpiles, and to get from one to the other, school must be attended.

It should train: Climbing, Discipline, Swimming, and not caring about death, in addition to all military skills.

I will need to know more about swimming, water mechanics, and not caring about death to refine the design.

I'm also waiting on definitive !science! For the actual training of children. Doesn't have to be super fast training, just has to be done with as few fatalities as possible. I've just designated areas as "training" for now.

I've just been drawing designs as I for have the facilities (namely a computer with DF) to start building and testing myself.
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 16, 2014, 02:44:38 am »

Alright, so I've drawn up a couple of designs for what I think will work. It is by no means compact, and I've built multiple fail-safes into it too, so we can lose as few kids as possible. Generally sacrificing children is a widely encouraged thing, but when these kids are the next generation of super soldier, we want them as intact as possible.

Unfortunately I'm at work, so I'll upload them later.

Sounds like Fermat's last training room design.

"I have designed a truly marvelous training room, which this terminal is too narrow to contain." :)

Keith
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 16, 2014, 04:28:11 am »

Alright, here's my sketches. Bear with me, I'll explain them all properly later, but they should be pretty self explanatory
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 16, 2014, 06:36:18 am »

I like it. Very industrial, very Dwarven. I have a feeling you'll have some troubles to get the trainees actually climb, though. Maybe you could combine the Discipline and Climbing training, in a way that only way away from the scary thing is to climb?
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 16, 2014, 06:58:26 am »

In my boarding school first ten students have reached Competent levels of skill without injuries. Looks like all that attention to protective clothing is paying off. I'm now thinking I could have installed more training spears to the spike traps after all; the progress will be slow from now on. I have now accepted twenty students more and will be increasing the number gradually to find the full capacity of this facility.

Instead of a swimming pool design I'm now installing banks of mist generators in hope that they'll train a noticeable amount of Swimming along the years.  At least they'll keep the students even happier than now (they're all ecstatic despite being constantly whacked with wooden sticks).

Uhhh... welcome?

YHVH

• Bay Watcher
  • Batshit Insane God
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 16, 2014, 10:40:59 am »

In my boarding school first ten students have reached Competent levels of skill without injuries. Looks like all that attention to protective clothing is paying off. I'm now thinking I could have installed more training spears to the spike traps after all; the progress will be slow from now on. I have now accepted twenty students more and will be increasing the number gradually to find the full capacity of this facility.

Instead of a swimming pool design I'm now installing banks of mist generators in hope that they'll train a noticeable amount of Swimming along the years.  At least they'll keep the students even happier than now (they're all ecstatic despite being constantly whacked with wooden sticks).
Great job, now we need to multiply this, and/or replace mist with magma mist to melt their fat  :D
So, now I have a moat filled with magma AND patrolled by ghosts. It is quite nice actually.

TheHossofMoss

• Bay Watcher
  • "Man muss Heu machen, solange die Sonne scheint."
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 16, 2014, 12:52:20 pm »

So will dwarves only climb if they MUST? For example, placing the food/booze up on a high ledge, with no ramp or staircase?
On the Fifth Day of Axemas, my love saved the fort from...
Five sieging Werebeasts, four Giant Dingoes, three sneaky Thieves, two drunken Black bears, and a Titan killing spree!

m-logik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 16, 2014, 01:35:45 pm »

Unless there was a change that I missed since .40 dropped, dwarves don't actually train climbing by climbing, but only by catching themselves when they jump or fall. With this in mind, I had an idea to train both climbing and swimming by dropping water on dwarves that were trying to climb. I haven't had the opportunity to try it yet, so I don't know if it would actually work, but it seems like something that would be useful for this project.

It should work like this: a dwarf takes a job that requires climbing a 2z+ wall to reach the job item. On the way, dwarf steps on a pressure plate that will drop a 7/7 tile of water from above, onto a space that the dwarf will occupy while climbing. That is the trickiest part of the design; it must be timed so that the dwarf has climbed up at least 1z up before the water hits it. Assuming that water will wash the dwarf off the wall, the dwarf should attempt to catch itself with every fallen z level, training climbing. At the bottom of the wall should be a 1z channeled area where the water will collect that the dwarf will fall into if it fails its climb check, thus training swimming as the dwarf tries to get out. Ideally, the channel would stay filled with 3/7 water, both to break the dwarf's fall, and so that the falling water will raise it to 4/7+ to train swimming. If the water level stays higher than 3/7 then dwarves will, theoretically, no longer path across it to reach the wall. There is also the risk that the kids will be stunned and drown before recovering enough to swim out. An automated system to return the water level at the bottom to 3/7 may be necessary.

Obviously this idea makes some untested assumptions about how climbing dwarves behave. But if it works, you get climb training, swim training, and bonus happy thoughts from the water drop to innoculate your test subjects against trauma induced insanity. If I get a fort in a position to try this I will, but in the meantime I encourage anyone else to give it a go.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 16, 2014, 03:14:23 pm »

According to combat reports a five year old student just teleported to a straight corridor 30 squares away, skidded along the ground for six squares hitting a cat twice along the way and slammed hard against a wall. I don't know what happened here but since she bruised a muscle I'm going to have to mark this as the first injury of the project.

Cats are a constant problem since they keep sneaking into the training area through multiple airlocks. Like real world cats, they seem to hate closed doors above everything else and will keep meowing behind a door until someone goes through and lets them slip inside. So far I've lost five cats to impaling and general exploding into gore.

Uhhh... welcome?

YHVH

• Bay Watcher
  • Batshit Insane God
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 16, 2014, 03:36:10 pm »

According to combat reports a five year old student just teleported to a straight corridor 30 squares away, skidded along the ground for six squares hitting a cat twice along the way and slammed hard against a wall. I don't know what happened here but since she bruised a muscle I'm going to have to mark this as the first injury of the project.

Cats are a constant problem since they keep sneaking into the training area through multiple airlocks. Like real world cats, they seem to hate closed doors above everything else and will keep meowing behind a door until someone goes through and lets them slip inside. So far I've lost five cats to impaling and general exploding into gore.
Excellent, it is off to a great start!
So, now I have a moat filled with magma AND patrolled by ghosts. It is quite nice actually.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 16, 2014, 11:44:33 pm »

I think dwarves will climb things when they're fleeing in terror. Unfortunately, I think they'll build up discipline long before an acceptable level of climbing is reached.

Will they flee from inanimate corpses, or just stand there in horror? I was hoping we could kill three puppies with one drop, but I'm doubtful it will work.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 11:47:09 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #162 on: August 16, 2014, 11:52:11 pm »

PTW. A childcare system is a long-running goal of mine.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 17, 2014, 03:03:38 am »

The solution is lever-controlled doors / airlocks. Or floodgates.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 17, 2014, 08:20:45 am »

The solution is lever-controlled doors / airlocks. Or floodgates.

Even that wouldn't probably stop them since the cats would simply wait until a dwarf goes through. I would close off the school completely but two injured miners were brought to the school's hospital and their attendants insist on bringing their supplies from the main fort.

After the first five cats I gave up and unlocked all doors, because after all, "This animal isn't interested in your wishes". If they want to become catburger, let them. I'll buy some smarter cats from the next caravan.

Uhhh... welcome?
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 62