Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 62

Author Topic: Dwarven Child Care [Reboot] (Werezombie Cloning Tech (What in Armok's name?!))  (Read 205839 times)

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Child Care [Reboot] (Need Moar Discipline)
« Reply #210 on: August 25, 2014, 07:20:36 pm »

Hey speaking of the sea serpent breeding program, that program... Would actually work now as the population would be updated for it to work properly and have the serpent babies make more babies.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: August 26, 2014, 01:23:30 am »

About ten more students have reached Legendary in Dodge and Fighter but Armor user proves very difficult to train beyond Master using this classroom. I am now building a secondary school for these advanced students, this time with more spears and a dodge trap bridge leading into a swimming pool. I think that should work better than those mist generators. Military training will fix up whatever is left lacking when the students reach adulthood.

I have not yet abandoned hope for early Discipline training; the militia is clearing out the caverns from all the girly monster types in hopes of attracting something more threatening to capture. The surface remains devoid of wildlife for some reason.

Meanwhile the steel production is running non-stop; all found hematite and marble is mined out and scores of trees are burned into charcoal. More candy is extracted from the deep to make edged weapons. I might end up pissing off the elves with this but then again, I'll have hundred steel-clad Legendary warriors in few years. Let them come.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: August 26, 2014, 01:34:39 am »

Have you tried corpses yet?

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: August 26, 2014, 01:41:13 am »

Have you tried corpses yet?

Yes, the students simply walked over the bodies and body parts I dumped in their midst, which is baffling since everyone else was freaked out by them.

Uhhh... welcome?

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: August 26, 2014, 08:30:07 am »

Have you tried live goblins or similar? I changed my plan so that the climbing wall features a captured gobbo behind a window. Gobbo is made visible using same repeater as waterfall. Also, do injuries/throwing punches train discipline? If so I may not need the gobbo at all and can simply rely on the kid brainshotting a few poults to get his discipline up.
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: August 26, 2014, 09:53:25 am »

Have you tried live goblins or similar? I changed my plan so that the climbing wall features a captured gobbo behind a window. Gobbo is made visible using same repeater as waterfall. Also, do injuries/throwing punches train discipline? If so I may not need the gobbo at all and can simply rely on the kid brainshotting a few poults to get his discipline up.

I would gladly use a goblin since normally they would be readily available but for some reason Searingmines isn't getting any invasions at all. No goblins, not even a roving bandit gang. I might have to antagonize the elves to get some action on the surface.

A herd of rutherers just appeared in the second cavern; I'll try to capture one of them and see if they're scary enough.

Uhhh... welcome?

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: August 26, 2014, 03:13:53 pm »

the base rooms +all infrastructure and items are in place. The way I've set it out these rooms come in units of 4, with 2 kids in each, for a total of 8 children per unit. there is one splatter per unit, and each cell in each unit includes a 3x3 airlock space with a craftdwarf's workshop in it. The waterfall/scare trap for the climbing wall is built and linked up to a poor dwarf's repeater: a pressure plate in the main corridor. The turkeys have been bred and there is a gobbler and a hen in each cell, along with a nest box. The cats have been chained in the autosplatter breeding bay. Excluding the 30z splatter chute (I increased it because apparently 30z means guaranteed explosion on impact), the unit takes up approximately 16*8*5, counting all the plumbing and infrastructure, but excluding the access tunnel. These units are more cost-effective in large groups, as the plumbing and food infrastructure is designed to be easily extended in long rows and for rows to be easy to place side by side.

Only problem now is... I have only 1 child in the whole fort of 50 dwarves xD Guess that means I'll have some extra time to prepare the cells before the infant wave hits.

Also, does domestic poultry take fall damage? I only ask because I could get a higher rate of traumatisation with ducks due to them having a higher breed rate than cats, but I'm not sure as to whether they will take falling damage or not. If not, I'll just set up some door traps in the caverns so that I can eventually replace cats with scores of cave crocodiles.

kingu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: August 26, 2014, 04:52:58 pm »

Is it even possible to train discipline this way? I have only ever seen military dwarfs gain discipline. Not civilians. Bravery mattes when civ dwarfs with no discipline are about to panic ot not but can that trait be trained changed at all?

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 26, 2014, 05:37:16 pm »

Also, does domestic poultry take fall damage? I only ask because I could get a higher rate of traumatisation with ducks due to them having a higher breed rate than cats, but I'm not sure as to whether they will take falling damage or not. If not, I'll just set up some door traps in the caverns so that I can eventually replace cats with scores of cave crocodiles.

Reminds me of the WKRP in Cincinnati Thanksgiving episode, "Turkeys Away"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lf3mgmEdfwg
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: August 26, 2014, 07:19:03 pm »

A herd of rutherers just appeared in the second cavern; I'll try to capture one of them and see if they're scary enough.

They aren't. Dwarves routinely walk past rutherers without freaking out - or, so has been my experience. I haven't actually seen any post-.34. Let me know how it goes.

So far as I know, no. Technically domestic poultry can fly. The [PET] tag (and the [TAME] status) screws with the pathing for them so they don't usually try, but I haven't ever seen them take fall damage. I would suggest you try it before relying on it.

Further, it just plain makes sense to set up some door traps. Especially now that the pathing issue has been fixed in 40.10.

Cats may not work anyway, now that they're all legendary climbers. I've seen some people having issues with preventing climbing skill from trumping smoothed walls.

Is it even possible to train discipline this way? I have only ever seen military dwarfs gain discipline. Not civilians. Bravery mattes when civ dwarfs with no discipline are about to panic ot not but can that trait be trained changed at all?

It is possible to train discipline by exposing sentient creatures to death. I have seen small stat gains in discipline from my dwarves on occasion. It may require the death of other sentient creatures; if so, the cats won't work.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 09:49:22 pm by ImagoDeo »
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: August 27, 2014, 01:32:37 am »

They aren't. Dwarves routinely walk past rutherers without freaking out - or, so has been my experience. I haven't actually seen any post-.34. Let me know how it goes.

Ah well, it wouldn't have mattered anyway since a giant cave spider attacked and scattered the rutherers. I'm now thinking about combining silk farming and Discipline training. If only I'd manage to capture it...

It is possible to train discipline by exposing sentient creatures to death. I have seen small stat gains in discipline from my dwarves on occasion. It may require the death of other sentient creatures; if so, the cats won't work.

Based on my, err, "accidental research data" I'd say dead cats won't rustle any dwarven jimmies. I'm now suspecting it would require witnessing an actual combat to get a significant Discipline gain. Maybe a small fighting arena in the middle of the school?

Uhhh... welcome?

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: August 27, 2014, 05:33:40 am »

At the very least, witnessing kitties, or any animal really, going splat will cause them to stop caring about anything anymore. Unless this has been changed from the last version. If seeing the captured goblins and the exploding kitties/poultry/crocs fails to train their discipline, maybe we could put a windowed box between 4 cells where we can pit 1 goblin at at time, with a repeating practice spear. This would count as combat, right?

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: August 27, 2014, 08:05:28 am »

Can animals be assigned to children, or just adults? Because giving all of the students fuzzy little friends to "accidentally" wander into the training room might work for at least some of the students.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: August 27, 2014, 01:46:52 pm »

Can animals be assigned to children, or just adults? Because giving all of the students fuzzy little friends to "accidentally" wander into the training room might work for at least some of the students.

I don't think animals can be assigned to children. Otherwise I'd have assigned a war dog or two to all children in my previous forts, to foil abduction attempts. Even if they could, killing the pets would probably just give bad thoughts to the owners.

Uhhh... welcome?

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: August 28, 2014, 03:09:13 am »

The Searingmines Dwarven Boarding School is proud to celebrate its first two graduations!

By graduation I now mean reaching adulthood with Legendary in at least one of the skills in curriculum. That will have to do; the military academy after this will build that Discipline and Armor User nicely.

Without further delay, I present you the graduates:

Spoiler: Sodel Paddlegods (click to show/hide)

Legendary+1 Fighter
Legendary+1 Dodger
Great Armor User

Spoiler: Zas Girdergleamed (click to show/hide)

Legendary+1 Fighter
Legendary+1 Dodger
Master Armor User

Interestingly, they both seem to have somewhat similar personality. Is the personality set permanently in birth or could it be shaped by childhood experiences?

Both Sodel and Zas are now equipped with quality steel/candy gear and are sparring happily in one of the spare barracks. In time, they'll be joined by other graduates, until all nearly hundred students have grown up.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 04:55:07 am by Staalo »

Uhhh... welcome?
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 62