Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 62

Author Topic: Dwarven Child Care [Reboot] (Werezombie Cloning Tech (What in Armok's name?!))  (Read 206708 times)

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Child Care [Reboot] (Many Innocent Deaths)
« Reply #360 on: September 26, 2014, 02:43:22 pm »

Concerning the needed "Endless supply of intelligent creatures" for tragedy training--

I understand that you have provided this using a modification to dogs to add the [can_learn] tag.

A means of appropriating or home-growing sufficient numbers of intelligent creatures without modding should now be the focus, since the proof of concept stage has completed.

Some animal-men creatures are egg-layers. Such as, for example, cave-swallow-people. However, for containment purposes we would prefferentially want egg layers that dont fly. Say, serpent people.

I don't know if serpent people still claim nestboxes or not.  If they do, they could provide a useful alternative to intelligent dogs.
Egg layers produce large clutches more often than not, making population growth a theoretically viable option.

I can't be completely sure yet, but based on my recent failed experiments with Minotaur breeding I'm starting to think that a [PET] or [PET_EXOTIC] tag is needed to get animals to breed in fortress mode. I suppose this includes animal people.

Ideally, the "infinite intelligent creatures" would be supplied by sieges, but since Searingmines isn't getting any of those I had to mess around with dogs.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

lukstra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: September 26, 2014, 05:10:31 pm »

If children can adopt pets, can't they be used for tragedy training? If along the walls of the "school" there are windows or fortifications to rooms with available dogs or other pets, wouldn't the children adopt them? Then the pet can be atom-smashed etc... for tragedy training.

EDIT
After a little bit of cursory testing children can in-fact adopt pets, which I was unsure of before now. (see picture below)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 05:49:14 pm by lukstra »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: September 26, 2014, 05:59:38 pm »

I just realized that the ideal outcome of DCC is to get kids like that one Rick and Morty "commercial" with the kids eating the cereal out of the leprechaun's guts while he was still alive.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: September 27, 2014, 02:16:41 am »

A pet with [EQUIPS] and masterful fighting skills would be a potent anti-siege weapon.

That gave me an impulse to try a bit of modding in save-scum mode; unfortunately even tamed and trained War Minotaurs had a bad habit of attacking innocent bystanders. I'm not sure which token makes them do that.

So, no pet War Minotaurs for everyone, at least not yet.

Uhhh... welcome?

Pirate Bob

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: TORTURE_FOR_SCIENCE: ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: September 27, 2014, 06:23:50 am »

If children can adopt pets, can't they be used for tragedy training? If along the walls of the "school" there are windows or fortifications to rooms with available dogs or other pets, wouldn't the children adopt them? Then the pet can be atom-smashed etc... for tragedy training.

EDIT
After a little bit of cursory testing children can in-fact adopt pets, which I was unsure of before now. (see picture below)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
As is usually the case in DF, it seems the solution to the problem is mass murder of puppies and kittens  :P

McDonald

• Bay Watcher
  • Passwords get hidden, who knew? ••••••••
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: September 29, 2014, 06:11:50 am »

Grats on your research, Staalo!
I'm with stupid |
                      v

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: September 29, 2014, 09:20:15 am »

Thank you! Though I fear that some of this "research" will go to waste when the next version with its 119 emotions rolls in. I'd guess at least the combat hardness value will be scrapped at that point.

I wonder if the emotion calculations will be retroactive? In that case I'll probably have a fortress full of frothing insane super soldiers, driven berserk by childhood traumas. What FUN!!!

Uhhh... welcome?

TheHossofMoss

• Bay Watcher
  • "Man muss Heu machen, solange die Sonne scheint."
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: October 06, 2014, 12:54:20 pm »

Thank you! Though I fear that some of this "research" will go to waste when the next version with its 119 emotions rolls in. I'd guess at least the combat hardness value will be scrapped at that point.

I wonder if the emotion calculations will be retroactive? In that case I'll probably have a fortress full of frothing insane super soldiers, driven berserk by childhood traumas. What FUN!!!

I'm hopeful that it just adds another layer we have to overcome, but doesn't do away with all our !!SCIENCE!!
On the Fifth Day of Axemas, my love saved the fort from...
Five sieging Werebeasts, four Giant Dingoes, three sneaky Thieves, two drunken Black bears, and a Titan killing spree!

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: October 06, 2014, 01:20:07 pm »

Yeah, it'd be a shame if this update did away with all of the ehem, unique personality traits common to dwarves.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.
« Reply #369 on: October 06, 2014, 06:38:40 pm »

Hmm... gentlemen, the need for tragedy training might perhaps allow us to combine two of the great !!science!! threads. Finally there is a renewed need for mermaid farming.
Stages of DF Ideas:
How do the mechanics for this work?
How can I weaponise it?
How can I add magma?
How can I weaponise it?
How can I automate it?

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: October 07, 2014, 04:14:32 am »

It is year 215. Everyone from the 201-203 baby boomer generation have now graduated. There are still nine students left, born later as a result of a fire breathing FB decimating the militia and me being sloppy with the population cap. Since it will be four long game years before the last of them will graduate, I'll do a quick recap of the project at this point.

There are now 85 graduates, with nine more coming if no one dies before that.  Six children dropped out of before reaching Legendary. Seven children died from various reasons, mainly from the dreaded Flying Dwarf Syndrome. If this continues, 94 out of 107 children born and migrated will probably make it through the school with honors. Not bad at all.

The students have been trained in Fighter, Dodger, Armor User, Swimmer, Observer and combat hardness. I also attempted training in Climber and Discipline but couldn't find a working method for them.

The following methods were used in training:

All in all, this project has changed my attitude to dwarven children; I no longer consider them as completely worthless booze guzzlers, but rather as valuable investments paying off in the future. This new generation will handle the ambushes and other little hardships of dwarven life much better than the earlier, unimproved generation. I'll be doing something like this in all my future forts.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 09:27:42 am by Staalo »

Uhhh... welcome?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: October 07, 2014, 07:37:25 am »

I'm constantly amazed, amused and horrified by this thread. Well done. Spartan child raising was for pussies, dwarfs got the real thing
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Techempage

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: October 07, 2014, 03:47:07 pm »

I'm constantly amazed, amused and horrified by this thread. Well done. Spartan child raising was for pussies, dwarfs got the real thing

I can't look at this thread anymore.

The laughing out loud at work is going to let people know I'm not actually working.

lukstra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: October 07, 2014, 07:40:54 pm »

I've found in some limited situations that when dwarves are sent to fight re-animated zombies even having professional discipline did not prevent them from experiencing mortal terror many tiles away (10+). If by chance (and good fortune) you get your hands on a zombie it could be released into a room full of trainee's, who would only overcome their terror and kill it when their discipline is high enough. Ideally the zombie would be relatively harmless, like a reanimated head or skin.

TheHossofMoss

• Bay Watcher
  • "Man muss Heu machen, solange die Sonne scheint."
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: October 08, 2014, 01:25:06 pm »

I've found in some limited situations that when dwarves are sent to fight re-animated zombies even having professional discipline did not prevent them from experiencing mortal terror many tiles away (10+). If by chance (and good fortune) you get your hands on a zombie it could be released into a room full of trainee's, who would only overcome their terror and kill it when their discipline is high enough. Ideally the zombie would be relatively harmless, like a reanimated head or skin.

I've had reanimated skin kill several dwarves in a few ticks.
On the Fifth Day of Axemas, my love saved the fort from...
Five sieging Werebeasts, four Giant Dingoes, three sneaky Thieves, two drunken Black bears, and a Titan killing spree!
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 62