Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 62

Author Topic: Dwarven Child Care [Reboot] (Werezombie Cloning Tech (What in Armok's name?!))  (Read 206561 times)

McDonald

• Bay Watcher
  • Passwords get hidden, who knew? ••••••••
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Child Care [Reboot]
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2014, 07:05:34 pm »

Your dwarves are weird. I use my design above and nothing ever happened to my subject. And the only cure to blood loss is suturing before it happens so... Yeah...
I'm with stupid |
                      v

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2014, 07:05:43 pm »

It's only desecration if you're doing it to harm or kill them. That's not the intent here. The intent is to find something productive to do with the fortress children so they grow. You know, like real-world school and chores are supposed to do.

Why not try the passive tools? Pools of water and empty spaces for them to swim through and jump over to get places. Maybe a hostile tied up within sight to provide discipline training, but not close enough to attack. Little stuff like that to periodically but routinely build up stats. Sure, it won't be as fast as active tools, but we're experimenting. We need more data.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2014, 07:09:29 pm »

an enemy in a cubicle with windows would work. maybe keep the food right next to the window, he question is whether the children would flee rather than eat. a !!science!! question. if they flee, then you can make the entire room 4/7 water except for 1 square the have to climb up and face the monster to eat anything.

McDonald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2014, 07:18:17 pm »

I'm doing it because I want them to die while heroically fighting 50 goblins. Anyway, we can combine the passive and active. We can use the kinderdanger room as a living area and the training course to get to the food stockpile.
I'm with stupid |
                      v

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 15, 2014, 07:22:15 pm »

Yes, which means NOT desecrating kids. In fact, you're building up the kids in order to make them capable of killing off hordes of gobs. So yeah, keep up the grand plan and share it with all of us.

McDonald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 15, 2014, 07:25:35 pm »

Be back tomorrow with a load of fresh !!Science!!, good night guys and gals :)
I'm with stupid |
                      v

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 16, 2014, 04:05:41 am »

Yay, a migrant family came in with three children! Time to start building the boarding school again, now maybe with swimming and climbing added to curriculum.

Will post results when I get any, might be a while...

BTW, I have been thinking about the in-school hospital for those inevitable broken wrists from dancing lessons. I'd think a working hospital within the school burrow limits would need a permanent medical professional also confined to separate hospital/staff apartment burrow. The hospital area would also have to be without educational properties; it would not do to have the doctor dodging spears while doing surgery. Some creative burrowing will be needed.

If a solution to student survival can be found, I'm planning to put all the children in all my forts through this basic education. There would be no reason not to; within couple decades Legendary combat skills could be standard for all citizens. Think of the children!
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 16, 2014, 04:20:45 am »

See the fluid logic repeater here:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/v0.34:Repeater#Fluid_logic_repeater

It gives you a repeater for any other on / off thing you need, like a coinstar, and if you connect the bottom side to a room, it maintains alternating 3/4 - 4/4 water in there forever, perfect for noob swimming training.

Needs an infinite water source though, like ocean, river or aquifer.

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 16, 2014, 04:31:14 am »

Excited to see how things go. Especially with the possibility of added climbing training.

McDonald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 16, 2014, 04:33:40 am »

Good luck Staalo and make sure your victims have mittens and gloves.

Thanks for info Reelya.
I'm with stupid |
                      v

TheOnlySolitaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [BRAG_ON_KILL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 16, 2014, 06:32:23 am »

-snip-

Okay so my suggestion is 2 part
1 - seal off the boarding school from the rest of the fort, thus preventing any kids getting out, or dwarf civilians getting in and potentially causing problems.
2 - sealing in 2 adult dwarves, set to medical jobs and farming.

This way you have a small farm growing food and brewable drinks and or pig tails for thread/cloth to keep hospital stockpiles up.

Just speed train the doctor and farmer in a danger room so they are at least competent at dodging, then if you can, armour them up. This way they should be able to dodge and weather the spears in almost complete safety, and the boarding school is made completely self-sufficient, with food stockpiles being maintained, and a manned hospital to deal with injuries.

I'm going to wait for DFHack to be released before I make any real effort on this though.
I've been spoiled by its convenience for testing things and setting up the facilities, but I'm excited to be doing science again; I have a whole host of new science projects and theories to work on and/or weaponise...

Keep up the good work guys!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 16, 2014, 08:17:08 am »

If you mass pit kids, they'll socialize all the time - one thing this is meant to avoid.

design a holding cell for 1 kid, then work out how to parralelize the system to fit more kids in.

Here's my thoughts:

- spear traps are out. They cause too many fatalities if dwarves are no armored. a waste of time.
- small animals could be helpful, bigger ones train faster but are too deadly.
- swimming training is a definite yes
- coinstar sounds good, but needs testing.
- you need nude dwarves for safe coinstar. Dropped clothes in a coinstar turn into deadly missiles.
- climbing and jumping traning sounds good to
- window(s) with some enemy or gory stuff going on behind it sounds good. spend 12 years with a zombie or goblin staring at you must have some effect.

McDonald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 16, 2014, 09:13:44 am »

Enemy would scare the victim all the time and victim wouldn't eat or drink because of it. Exploding animals and sentients are okay.
I'm with stupid |
                      v

McDonald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 16, 2014, 10:02:56 am »

Okay, flooded my patient's cell with water. 5/14 tiles are 4/7 water, the rest is 3/7. The patient is able to eat and drink while training swimming. For some reason the patient decided to stand in the same tile all the time while starving.

His dodging skill is Talented, the same as my champions who started training half a year earlier. The only problem is that the patient doesn't train fighting.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 10:06:11 am by McDonald »
I'm with stupid |
                      v

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 16, 2014, 10:17:59 am »

I think put the food on a ledge that's out of the water. Try it with both a ramp, and a rough rock wall to climb. Make the in-water part a meeting zone to encourage the kid to stay there.

I think you have too many tiles. The thing should maybe be 2x2 or 2x3 at most ...
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 10:27:06 am by Reelya »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 62