Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 62

Author Topic: Dwarven Child Care [Reboot] (Werezombie Cloning Tech (What in Armok's name?!))  (Read 206857 times)

Sprin

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Sprin Dragon, Master of Madness!
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Child Care [Reboot] (Many Innocent Deaths)
« Reply #450 on: December 09, 2014, 01:56:06 pm »

Staalo you have inspired me to make my own boarding school for the little neckbeards.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
HOW DID YOU KNOW I WAS LOOKING UP RULE 34 OF D*CKS?
Sprin is certifiably insane, but there is no denying his brilliance.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: December 09, 2014, 03:44:14 pm »

rmblr: Here's a screenshot of how it currently stands:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Basically it's the same as the Searingmines one, except smaller and with added swimming pool and other bits. I'm currently figuring out better ways to train things and will very likely change the design periodically.

Some notes:
  • The cross-shaped area with wooden spikes is obviously the main school compound; here students will start immediately after getting their first set of clothes. They'll sleep, drink and eat here, all while dodging training spears and getting knocked into the swimming pool. On top of the pool there's a fisherdwarf who wandered in just before the screenshot and started fishing from the pool. Good luck with that.
  • The room at the lower left is the Observer skill training area. Advanced students will live here for a while while watching a squad spar non-stop, teaching Observer to Legendary level.
  • Upper left will be the goblin fight club, where sufficiently strong students get to fight to death with an endless supply of invaders. At least I hope it'll work that way; I'm still fighting with balance issues. Last time I tried to get the students play with a military goblin the students refused to fight and let the baddie take free swings at them. Luckily there were no permanent injuries. If I get this working the students will be training combat skills and desensitization at the same time and I won't have to resort to drop chutes or magma mist barbecues.
  • The thing at the upper right is part of the plumbing for some water-related experiments. I'm thinking of revisiting the controlled drowning chamber idea to see if I can get the Recuperation training working.

The whole thing is still very much of a work in progress; I'm currently trying to find out the best way to do tragedy and Discipline training while still keeping the students out of depression and insanity. Now that even the one-year olds are Legendary in Fighter and Dodger I'm in good position to do some tougher physical experiments in that department.

Sprin: Good for you; a childhood is a terrible thing to waste! Be sure to report here with the results.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Sprin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: December 09, 2014, 05:02:22 pm »

Resaults: No survivers

Aperently droping them in magma just kills them

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: December 09, 2014, 07:12:25 pm »

<cruel dreams>

You get bonus points if you manage to get legendary conversationalist kids in the recent versions, likely harder than pre-military training.

Sprin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: December 09, 2014, 07:19:57 pm »

I had the briliant idea to incorporate the school into an arena so I can test the resaults on what ever crazy thing I end up capturing during the time of this fort. Perhaps all at once!

(Still no children at my fort T_T)

They must know somethings up...
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 07:21:55 pm by Sprin »

Col_Jessep

• Bay Watcher
  • ♦ Cat Herder
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: December 09, 2014, 08:40:52 pm »

Staalo, your design is a thing of beauty! I'm wondering if this would not work as a meeting hall as well. You just need to take care not to let the mothers in....

There might have been an accident in my fort with the danger room and a "a baby has been born" message I missed... x.x
Just kids...

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: December 09, 2014, 11:58:38 pm »

Actually the whole school is already a meeting hall and a statue garden; I'm hoping the student parties will boost socialization and conversation skills. Occasionally I'm unlocking the doors and letting the other citizens to join in the fun. I'm keeping the four parents in tight watch to see if they manage to produce any new future students for me.

I'm actually thinking about drafting the parents to spar in mother-father squads, to keep them in the same room constantly. Would the forced nearness increase the chance of baby births with this new version?

Uhhh... welcome?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: December 10, 2014, 12:02:13 am »

If this is .19, the parents need to be within 1 tile of each other to initiate pregnancies.

Locking mumsie and dadsie up inside special booths should suffice.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: December 10, 2014, 12:50:58 am »

If this is .19, the parents need to be within 1 tile of each other to initiate pregnancies.

Locking mumsie and dadsie up inside special booths should suffice.

Presumably, in DF, pregnancies are initiated via sufficiently vigorous fistbumps on the parts of dwarves as they walk by each other.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: December 10, 2014, 12:53:18 am »

But there are only 4 breeding pairs. If Staalo wants a reliable supply of recruits, he needs to have mumsie and dadsie "Fistbump" quite frequently. This means keeping them in an enclosed space for extended periods of time.

rmblr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: December 10, 2014, 01:52:50 am »

Thanks Staalo! Nice work.

So many spear traps! I'm curious how many spears you used this time around? Last time you said you used to few in general population which necessitated the construction of an additional wing for the more advanced students. How many spears are per tile this time? 

Have you tried removing the bridge across the water to force swimming?

Also, I see some mist, do you have a waterfall in place?

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: December 10, 2014, 02:40:22 am »

rmblr: If I counted correctly, this one has 580 installed training spears, five for each spike trap. It remains to be seen whether this load is enough to train Armor User to Legendary. Ten spears to a trap did the trick in Searingmines but I was reluctant to throw one-year olds to that kind of grinder right from the beginning.

The bridges are there for a reason; dwarves will not voluntarily enter water deep enough to train Swimming. Those bridges are filled with spear traps to force students to dodge into the pool. The mist in the screen shot is actually from dwarves splashing into water.

wierd: I'm trying the mom-dad squad idea first. If they are going to be out of the workforce having quality time with each other they might as well gain some military skills while they're at it.

Uhhh... welcome?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: December 10, 2014, 02:44:44 am »

Gives "Wrestling" a whole new, and horrible, meaning.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: December 10, 2014, 03:17:34 am »

Presumably, in DF, pregnancies are initiated via sufficiently vigorous fistbumps on the parts of dwarves as they walk by each other.
Or beard contact.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: December 10, 2014, 04:07:13 am »

I assume it is like cuttlefish, with the male leaving behind a packet of uh... material in the mothers beard.... god that mental image is far too amusing to ponder for very long, lest I wake everyone up, what is wrong with me?

Also: I assumed the mist in the screenshot was from waterfalls, but no, you've outdone us all and made dorfs into their own mist generators...
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 62