Dwarf Fortress > DF Dwarf Mode Discussion

Dwarven Child Care [Reboot] (Werezombie Cloning Tech (What in Armok's name?!))

<< < (123/186) > >>

Staalo:

--- Quote from: Max™ on April 06, 2015, 04:16:22 am ---Though I'm still uncomfortable with the use of the phrase "vigorous wool pounder"...
--- End quote ---

I know, I know... but after I had typed those words they simply refused to be deleted. It is actually very descriptive for the situation; eighteen adolescent dwarves standing in a ring, furiously mashing a small sweat-drenched piece of sheep wool with their hairy fists. I'm surprised it hasn't turned into felt by now.

Some of the children were getting Stressed from constant exposure to undead horrors (yes, that means you, Fluffy. Sorry.) so I assigned them to other training and decided to up the challenge for the remaining students. In quick succession I dropped in an undead guinea hen, a rotten turkey and a giant rat head; all were re-killed almost before they hit the floor. After this I threw in a giantess and a cyclops I had lying around but they didn't fare any better. Encouraged by this I decided to try out a captured zombie elf axewoman I had been sparing for this occasion.

That didn't go down well with the students. Everyone simply panicked and started running madly around while the zombie shambled after them making ineffectual lunges to anyone getting too close. It managed to knock out some teeth from one dwarf and ruptured another one's liver before I hit the flushdown lever. Luckily dwarves don't actually need those parts for anything important.

Looks like the students will have to build up some Discipline before facing actual whole formerly-sentient undead again.

Max™:
They probably did kill it before it hit the ground.

In adventurer mode my faster allies will often run alongside things I've sent flying, punching and hacking and kicking them while they sail through the air with all the grace of a bowling ball.

I'm... less comfortable after your description of the wool pounding btw.

Staalo:

--- Quote from: Max™ on April 06, 2015, 03:23:30 pm ---I'm... less comfortable after your description of the wool pounding btw.

--- End quote ---

Ah, my work here is done, then!

--

I had a slight distraction when I saw this comment in the "Whats going on in your fort" -thread:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=15096.msg6147334#msg6147334

Having read that I had to experiment if Swimming and Observation could be trained right from the birth. Well, short answer: they can't. Some observations:

- assigning a bed to a baby causes it's mother simply to drop it where she stands. This requires some planning.
- mother will pick up the baby and carry it to safety when the area is flooded. In one occasion the baby even seemed to teleport straight away to it's mother.
- looks like babies can't learn skills anyway. So much for that.

Dwarf4Explosives:
Conclusion: baby dwarves are, like all dwarves, idiots. They just can't do all that much stupid stuff yet and focus their stupidity into a lack of skill-learning.

Max™:
Was discussing this with the gf last night (she loves to talk about dem dorfs and don't even play, I know, I'm a lucky guy) and decided newborn dorfs are like marsupial offspring, blind, lacking rear legs, they simply cling on to their mothers beard and sip at the booze soaked into it until their legs develop and they can drop to the ground, run off into the bushes, and feed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version