Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 62

Author Topic: Dwarven Child Care [Reboot] (Werezombie Cloning Tech (What in Armok's name?!))  (Read 206494 times)

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Child Care [Reboot] (Rebooting the reboot, please wait...)
« Reply #675 on: July 25, 2015, 03:43:04 pm »

Well, well. I just had to go and boast about not having had any trouble with my training equipment... now my tiny hospital is overflowing with casualties after the latest training session. At least one of the students, five year old Erush Cloisteredtributes, looks like she's permanently out of the program with her severed spinal column and other injuries.

Note to self: when the combat training room is full of dead enemies after a successful session, DO NOT INITIATE EMERGENCY FLUSHDOWN. Seven students were caught in a shower of crundle and troglodyte parts and the results were predictably ugly.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 05:50:45 pm by Staalo »
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

YHVH

• Bay Watcher
  • Batshit Insane God
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: July 25, 2015, 07:26:03 pm »

Well, well. I just had to go and boast about not having had any trouble with my training equipment... now my tiny hospital is overflowing with casualties after the latest training session. At least one of the students, five year old Erush Cloisteredtributes, looks like she's permanently out of the program with her severed spinal column and other injuries.

Note to self: when the combat training room is full of dead enemies after a successful session, DO NOT INITIATE EMERGENCY FLUSHDOWN. Seven students were caught in a shower of crundle and troglodyte parts and the results were predictably ugly.

Expand the hospital, put the child down and then try again.
So, now I have a moat filled with magma AND patrolled by ghosts. It is quite nice actually.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: July 27, 2015, 04:45:46 pm »

Hmm, can a high-skilled student that has been killed in training (KIT) and reanimate to be a guest tutor, retain its skill levels?

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: July 28, 2015, 03:46:52 am »

Hmm, can a high-skilled student that has been killed in training (KIT) and reanimate to be a guest tutor, retain its skill levels?

That's a very good question. I'll be sure to ask my captive human fishery worker necromancer Ligir Paddedholds that if any of the students happen to have an accident.

One student is already suffering from an infection so it could be soon...

Uhhh... welcome?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: July 28, 2015, 06:55:38 pm »

That reminds me of trying to horrify my dwarves by dropping captives into the middle of the meeting room and having them explode on a hatch through fortitifications, when I went to open the hatch and bridge below to atom smash them I remembered that hatches open faster, so the stuff fell onto the bridge, and then exploded upwards.

I had installed a dropshaft with fortifications to allow mist from the waterfall that can also run through the horrortube to give happy thoughts, and the horrortube ran from the upstairs bedroom/meeting area down through all the newer bedrooms to the trauma room.

Turned into a volcano of body parts and gore, I later dug an extension so I could just flush the body parts into the caverns and reseal it, I would have kept up the bloodcano eruptions but they injured several dorfs with flying corpse chunks from the 50 or 60 bodies sitting on the hatch at the time.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: July 29, 2015, 06:19:48 pm »

It is beneficial for the children to get to kill things. I decided to multiply the FUN and moved the necromancer into the combat room to "observe" the training sessions. This way I can get more out of captured training partners and the students get more exercise other than the now pretty worn xalpaca head woolx. The students can now handle any non-military undead easily.

Uhhh... welcome?

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: July 30, 2015, 02:18:09 pm »

The Student punches The Tath Thomoacik's neck in the lower body with his
right hand, bruising the muscle and bruising the spleen!

The Student bites The Tath Thomoacik's mutilated corpse in the lower
front teeth and the severed part sails off in an arc!

I gave a decapitated and reanimated werehyena for my children to play with and was very puzzled about these combat reports. Further investigation revealed that the necromancer had not only reanimated but also cloned two whole humanoid bodies from the parts. This opens new possibilities; with proper slicing and some luck it could be possible to get INFINITE ZOMBIES from just one corpse.

EDIT: The fight was a lengthy one but what was left over was two identical "Tath Thomoacik's mangled corpses." I'm afraid the students may have messed these corpses beyond reanimation but still it was an interesting phenomenon... maybe it had something to do with the corpse being a werecreature? Something interesting could be achieved with a necromancer, a were and some webbed weapon traps.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 03:40:28 pm by Staalo »

Uhhh... welcome?

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile

What in Armok's name is happening here? We started off with turkeys in small cages with children and now we're all the way to cloning werecreatures in the middle of the spike room we call a daycare?
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh no, not in the spike room. Monsters and invaders are way too delicate to withstand the training my one year olds go through on daily basis. This was observed in an otherwise empty combat room into which the necromancer now has a direct line of sight. The plan was to have the necromancer to reanimate guest lecturers until they could no longer be revived. The cloning thing was just a happy coincidence.

This "werezombie cloning" phenomenon should maybe go to its own thread. If what I witnessed is repeatable and works like I think it will, it will be a very fun little exploit, with some possible valid uses in a "Ravens are murder" type scenario.

As it happens, the original werehyena infected one of the carpenters, Ushat Slingrisen, who has been in quarantine waiting for an opening position in naked Hell exploration squads. Now Ushat will instead volunteer for an attempt to verify this cloning/multiplication/regeration thing; next time he transforms I'll send a bladed weapon squad to visit him. If all reanimatable body parts can be separated it should result in three (I think) identical werehyena carpenter zombies.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 10:18:05 am by Staalo »

Uhhh... welcome?

Wheeljack

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes explosions for their BOOM
    • View Profile

Staalo, I would be careful having your dwarves attack one of their own. Werecreature or no. I've seen many a loyalty cascade reported because of that. Back up your save just in case, or keep him to infect your other non-citizen guest lecturers.

I'd hate to see such a wonderful school closed because everyone turned on each other!

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: July 31, 2015, 12:46:34 pm »

The Student punches The Tath Thomoacik's neck in the lower body with his
right hand, bruising the muscle and bruising the spleen!

The Student bites The Tath Thomoacik's mutilated corpse in the lower
front teeth and the severed part sails off in an arc!

I gave a decapitated and reanimated werehyena for my children to play with and was very puzzled about these combat reports. Further investigation revealed that the necromancer had not only reanimated but also cloned two whole humanoid bodies from the parts. This opens new possibilities; with proper slicing and some luck it could be possible to get INFINITE ZOMBIES from just one corpse.

EDIT: The fight was a lengthy one but what was left over was two identical "Tath Thomoacik's mangled corpses." I'm afraid the students may have messed these corpses beyond reanimation but still it was an interesting phenomenon... maybe it had something to do with the corpse being a werecreature? Something interesting could be achieved with a necromancer, a were and some webbed weapon traps.

This was discovered shortly after zombies and werebeasts were rolled out. Toady fixed it almost immediately, it's resurgence may be an artifact of the changes to zombies.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, an old bug then? It looks like it's very much back: I managed to repeat the cloning procedure with spectacularly messy results. There are now bits and pieces from three different "Ushat Bimlocum's mangled corpses" to clean away from the combat room. Too bad it looks there aren't many pieces suitable for re-reanimation; student fists are quite terrifying blunt weapons.

Most of the phase two students are now in need of some rest and recuperation; constant undead pulping is starting to take its toll on their sanity.

Uhhh... welcome?

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

After The Great Werezombie Clone Massacre I've concentrated more on conventional combat training and fed the combat room anything that gets caught in the cage traps. It has been slow process but finally the first students have achieved that dwarven state of Nirvana, the fabled "doesn't really care about anything anymore." And I didn't even have to resort to puppy murder this time.

Some quick observations about various guest lecturers captured lately and their effectiveness in training:

- Hostile animal men: good training opponents, the students will attack on sight and their deaths will desensitize everyone around. Bit too weak for sustained training.
- Troglodytes: Usually not hostile against students unless they see some military behind a fortification, will then turn hostile immediately. They seem to love cage traps for some reason, so often plentiful. Will desensitize students.
- Invaders: plentiful after sieges; this fort has been getting some decent sized sieges which is almost unheard of. Will require a militia squad to actually take care of the fighting since students will touch them only very rarely. Suitable only for desensitizing.
- Blind Cave Ogres: as Troglodytes, will also require some provoking from militia members before lectures. Will not desensitize students; apparently they're not sentient enough for this purpose. Can withstand lectures a bit longer than smaller humanoids.
- Trolls: like Blind Cave Ogres, but aggressive straight away. Even tougher than ogres but still no challenge.
- Crundles: weak and will not desensitize students, but often plentiful, as they also seem fascinated by cage traps. Students will attack crundles on sight; I don't know what's their beef with them but I have no problem with that. Their smaller size encourages students to favor wrestling moves against them; I felt actually sorry for one of the poor monsters when seven students simultaneously practiced knot tying with its limbs.

During this process some of the students have accumulated quite impressive kill lists; I suspect the body counts will be astronomical by the time they'll graduate. To ensure they will not run out of opponents I have started a magma crab breeding operation with a pair I managed to catch since they reproduce quickly and the children seem eager to play with them. I just hope I won't experience fun of the !!FUN!! kind when I drop few crabs into the combat room.

Uhhh... welcome?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile

Be careful with those magma crabs - they can set the ground on fire with their magma.

Isngrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

PTW,and i think i might start my own Spartan II Program
08:43 PM The wild animals and insects sang a merry tune and the trees performed a dance. I know you're trying to cheer me up, Vishnu, but that was actually a bit creepy.-Rhons
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 62