Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 62

Author Topic: Dwarven Child Care [Reboot] (Werezombie Cloning Tech (What in Armok's name?!))  (Read 206015 times)

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile

Vengeful thoughts from training sessions are making a lot of unrelated dwarves stressed, even when they're nowhere near the training facility. I have been monitoring students and moving them to basic training room to cool off when the constant zombie pulping is starting to wear them down, but didn't think to pay attention to ordinary haulers and the like. Now quite sizable fraction of Copperfell's citizenry is struggling with heavy stress levels.

I did some testing and noticed that anyone who could find a path to the battle could get vengeful thoughts. Their pathfinding was very fast: a zombie could get random nearby haulers vengeful simply by falling unseen one z-level from a retracting bridge to a cage trap if the dwarves had a path to the lower z-level. Keeping a door to the whole school complex locked while a lecture was in progress stopped vengeful thoughts from outsiders.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile

Part of me wonders what would happen if you just left your dwarves in such a room after they became adults. If dwarves become gigantic after 12 years of training, then 120 years of training, while probably not affecting size much, sounds like it'd lead to a dwarf capable of taking on hell solo, with no armor and no weapons, just a shield to deal with the undodgable fire attacks.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile

Looking at the graduates' descriptions, the massive size is not entirely from muscle.  The text also mentions that they are very obese, so more Bombur than Dwalin.  Don't be surprised if the size drifts down a bit as they start wandering around the fort and doing stuff.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile

Isn't the size measure we have based on blood volume or something? I'm not entirely sure it's accurate. Although, you'd expect the real value to be more than that, not less. Raw values might be before other stuff is factored in. Not sure which to believe.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 10:58:57 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile

Isn't the size measure we have based on blood volume or something? I'm not entirely sure it's accurate. Although, you'd expect the real value to be more than that, not less.
You take the base 60,000 and adjust it for all of the appearance modifiers (tall, broad head, etc.) then thicken the muscle layer with strength and thicken the fat layer with "energy storage."  kane_t reverse-engineered the energy storage algorithm in the DFHack thread, and it's based much more on the Recuperation stat than it is on anything else (almost to the point of being a bug).
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Dwarf4Explosives: If I understood correctly the growing skill levels won't have any more effect after Legendary+5, no matter how long the dwarf keeps training. Also attributes have their maximum values which are actually hit before adulthood with the training I'm putting all students through. Continuing training for decades wouldn't therefore have much effect; that's why I'm just putting the students through a quick military service and then releasing them into society.

Dirst: Yes, all students tend to be on the chunky side for some reason; it isn't for lack of exercise but they certainly aren't lacking food in the boarding school. I have noticed most of the graduates have started to shrink a bit after starting military service. Except Big Ral; she has actually managed to put on more weight after I thought she'd stopped growing.

I'm surprised about the role of Recuperation in determining the dwarf size; the two biggest graduates, Big Ral and Immense Ďteb have the lowest Recuperation scores of all graduates (867 and 648  respectively). They're both among the top ranked in Strength, though.

Uhhh... welcome?

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile

That makes sense, the game seems to treat low Recuperation as low metabolism, making it easier to store fat.
Just got back, updating:

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

More on vengeful thoughts: a combat situation seems to be a sort of mind state for sentient beings; a dwarf will linger in "combat mode" for a while after the enemy has been neutralized. If combatants are let out too early among the citizenry they'll spread vengeful thoughts around like contagious disease. It will require some concentration to contain this after each lecture.

Uhhh... welcome?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile

So THAT'S why Bastiongate got hit with the Vengeful Plague. I ended up having to seal the fort for almost two years to get rid of it.

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wait. Giant dwarves, fueled by reanimated souls and nigh invincible in combat...Where have I seen this before...hmm.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile

Wait. Giant dwarves, fueled by reanimated souls and nigh invincible in combat...Where have I seen this before...hmm.
I'm gonna need you to scream for me.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Luckily Dwarf Fortress doesn't have any huge ancient monsters with improbable anatomies and flesh dissoving secretions. Oh wait...

Copperfell has settled into daily routine of schoolwork and mental recovery. Looks like I might have inadvertently genocided local populations of humanoid monsters, so guest lecturers will be just zombies from now on. That will slow training down since most students are already too stressed to handle undead without lengthy periods of stress management.

I'm also running out of any useful science to do with the current setup. Last thing I've found out is that the earlier mentioned cowards (with low Bravery scores) started attending lectures when their Discipline skill got trained up to Expert level.

It might be time to start planning for the endgame; is the final test going to be the circus again or something else?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 06:04:54 am by Staalo »

Uhhh... welcome?

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Child Care [Reboot] (Werezombie Cloning Tech (What in Armok's name?!))
« Reply #747 on: September 03, 2015, 04:51:20 pm »

You could force three different sieges at the same time.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Child Care [Reboot] (Werezombie Cloning Tech (What in Armok's name?!))
« Reply #748 on: September 04, 2015, 09:40:53 am »

Hell, definitely. But let's first see if you can get some regenerating werebeast soldiers. Let's see whether the superdwarves' ridiculous stats get reset in any way after were-ifying.

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: September 04, 2015, 12:08:12 pm »

I haven't been following the thread for a long time and the first post doesn't have much recent information. Can someone summarize the recent developments?
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 62