Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 62

Author Topic: Dwarven Child Care [Reboot] (Werezombie Cloning Tech (What in Armok's name?!))  (Read 206517 times)

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Child Care [Reboot] (Werezombie Cloning Tech (What in Armok's name?!))
« Reply #750 on: September 04, 2015, 01:00:20 pm »

I haven't been following the thread for a long time and the first post doesn't have much recent information. Can someone summarize the recent developments?

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=140588.msg6440773#msg6440773

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Child Care [Reboot] (Werezombie Cloning Tech (What in Armok's name?!))
« Reply #751 on: September 04, 2015, 01:29:16 pm »

Thanks!

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: September 04, 2015, 05:47:57 pm »

You could force three different sieges at the same time.

Forcing sieges hasn't worked since DF2014.

(Very recently Warmist has been doing some research toward making it work again but it's still incomplete)

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: September 06, 2015, 04:56:07 am »

Sieges wouldn't be enough anyway. Even ordinary militia veterans make short work of huge invader forces and these kids start at that level or higher before they start their military training. When the graduates get armed and armored I'd believe the clown car is the only real challenge in an unmodded game.

There's still time to think about it. It will be several game years before the last of the 82 students will graduate so I'm in no hurry. I had to cap the births few years ago so I could actually finish the school project at some point; otherwise the overly fertile citizens of Copperfell would have filled the fortress with their future superdwarf candidates.

The first graduates have already finished their military schooling by hitting Legendary in Discipline, Shield user and a weapon skill of their choice and they are now learning a civilian skill. Each of the graduates will be assigned a single useful skill which they will again force train up to Legendary. I'm sort of tempted to just retire the fort when everyone is ready and enjoy the super-migrants in my next fortress.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: September 06, 2015, 08:25:19 am »

ONE of these dwarves can handle anything you can throw at them. You have a HUNDRED.

You just won Dwarf Fortress.

omega_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Architect, Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: September 06, 2015, 11:12:31 am »

Sieges wouldn't be enough anyway. Even ordinary militia veterans make short work of huge invader forces and these kids start at that level or higher before they start their military training. When the graduates get armed and armored I'd believe the clown car is the only real challenge in an unmodded game.

There's still time to think about it. It will be several game years before the last of the 82 students will graduate so I'm in no hurry. I had to cap the births few years ago so I could actually finish the school project at some point; otherwise the overly fertile citizens of Copperfell would have filled the fortress with their future superdwarf candidates.

The first graduates have already finished their military schooling by hitting Legendary in Discipline, Shield user and a weapon skill of their choice and they are now learning a civilian skill. Each of the graduates will be assigned a single useful skill which they will again force train up to Legendary. I'm sort of tempted to just retire the fort when everyone is ready and enjoy the super-migrants in my next fortress.

If possible (and if you decide to retire),

1) Make your next fort in a reanimating biome with uber-zombifying dust/fog/smoke.
2) Receive uber-migrants.
3) Wait for a siege to be completely zombified (preferably, completely enthralled.)
4) FIGHT

If that's not an option, you should totally make a
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
squad.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: September 06, 2015, 11:53:38 am »

I asked about strength affecting growth in the Future of the Fortress thread.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: September 13, 2015, 05:19:49 pm »

A siege of nearly .34.11 proportions (71 goblins, humans and trolls) just visited so I sent the graduate squad to greet them. As it always goes with hasty deployments, most of the squad got delayed by new cloaks, provisions, drinks etc. and so it happened that only Big Ral and Immense Ïteb got out in time to face the enemy.

They broke the siege just by themselves, practically annihilated it. Between the two of them they killed 29 invaders; the rest either ran away in terror or got mopped up by slower graduates. This was a very good field test for the graduates; the only problem is that I don't really now how to clean all this up without the whole fort spiraling into madness from witnessing the carnage.

Back in civilian life, training continues. Ordinary citizens are gradually easing into idle pursuits as skill-learning graduates take over vital fortress functions, one by one. I'm again fast forwarding through the gap between the last immigrant graduations and the first fortress-born ones so there isn't much to report.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 08:46:43 am by Staalo »

Uhhh... welcome?

Isngrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: September 13, 2015, 09:44:47 pm »

have any of the graduates married each other?i could almost imagine their babies using the mother as a shield while she trains
08:43 PM The wild animals and insects sang a merry tune and the trees performed a dance. I know you're trying to cheer me up, Vishnu, but that was actually a bit creepy.-Rhons

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: September 14, 2015, 02:59:35 am »

have any of the graduates married each other?i could almost imagine their babies using the mother as a shield while she trains

Not yet, but I have some plans for Ral and Ïteb. Once they have grinded their chosen professional skills up to Legendary I'll try to get them to marry each other and have some cute giganto-babies together.

Uhhh... welcome?

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: September 15, 2015, 05:11:14 am »

If you have graduating kids with high Discipline/does not care about anything , you could put them into a hauler squad briefly to dump the bodies safely before making them military dwarves.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: September 15, 2015, 06:29:48 am »

If you have graduating kids with high Discipline/does not care about anything , you could put them into a hauler squad briefly to dump the bodies safely before making them military dwarves.

That would have been one solution, but there are only few graduates at the moment. It would have taken months to haul all the hundreds of teeth and body parts to somewhere out of sight. Instead I just disallowed corpse hauling from the more nervous dwarves and let the happier ones do the grisly parts. The general fortress wellbeing suffered quite a bit but at least no one went insane from the horrors.

Uhhh... welcome?

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: September 15, 2015, 09:11:08 am »

That would have been one solution, but there are only few graduates at the moment. It would have taken months to haul all the hundreds of teeth and body parts to somewhere out of sight. Instead I just disallowed corpse hauling from the more nervous dwarves and let the happier ones do the grisly parts. The general fortress wellbeing suffered quite a bit but at least no one went insane from the horrors.

Can you just dig a 5z pit nearby with an atom smasher at the bottom?  I believe 5z is enough for anyone above to witness what's below; even if below reanimated.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: September 15, 2015, 02:24:28 pm »

Can you just dig a 5z pit nearby with an atom smasher at the bottom?  I believe 5z is enough for anyone above to witness what's below; even if below reanimated.

I could, but the regular atom smasher was very close anyway. I also wanted to save the reanimatable bits for the zombie factory.

Last of the fortress born babies, little Ducim Whirledearth, finally grew into a child and enrolled into the boarding school. Only about twelve game years left with the project, if I don't decide to end it before that. I'm starting to like the über-migrant militant fortress idea as the next step, rather than again ending it all with a day at the circus.

Uhhh... welcome?

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: September 19, 2015, 03:53:44 pm »

Why not both?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 62