Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 62

Author Topic: Dwarven Child Care [Reboot] (Werezombie Cloning Tech (What in Armok's name?!))  (Read 204794 times)

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Child Care [Reboot]
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2014, 05:02:17 pm »

Yes, yes, maximum child desecration...
My patient is now mighty and tough, competent in all skills and speaks about horrifying death.

Excellent results! All those schoolmasters of old were right: regular caning is beneficial to learning. Besides being a part of full boarding school experience, of course.

I still haven't had a DF2014 fort survive until it's first children yet but someday...
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

McDonald

• Bay Watcher
  • Passwords get hidden, who knew? ••••••••
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2014, 05:07:25 pm »

yeah ... though the new climbing thing is really interesting. force the kid to have to swim through 7/7/ water and climb a wall to get the food, have what else he/she needs on the other side of the little moat,  perhaps passing through a coinstar as well (does underwater coinstar work ?).

12 years of climbing and swimming and/or dodging coins has got to build up something.
I'm gonna do that, RIGHT NOW!
I'm with stupid |
                      v

Andreus

• Bay Watcher
  • Doom Consultant
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2014, 05:07:50 pm »

While I applaud the spirit of Science, the only results we really got out of the last one was mental scarring. While I'll admit we'll probably get a serious Discipline spike in the survivors (Which is useful as Hell now) I doubt we'll get much else out of this.

So your saying that apart from the useful stuff, there will be nothing useful? Cant argue with that logic.

Well, we won't really know until we try.
This is what I love about Dwarf Fortress. This epitomises it.

"Is there something worthwhile to be gained by locking young children in a tiny room with a rabid animal for eleven years? Eh, not enough data available. Better try it."

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2014, 06:03:05 pm »

Well, under the old model, all we really got was degradation of a mental attribute. For all the work, it wasn't really practical. While Discipline is necessary, the old model would have been good for little else. All the other gains were temporary. So all I really meant by my part is that we might be better off doing a full redesign to see if we could get more long-term results besides just discipline.

I'm all for Fun, but if we're actually looking for something we can all use as a base model, we'd do well to maximize the results you get for the work, you know?

McDonald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2014, 06:07:27 pm »

If by mental attributes you mean willpower, kinesthetic sense, etc. my victim hasło been  improving in all of them.
I'm with stupid |
                      v

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2014, 06:14:24 pm »

With the animal model we were seeing temporary gains in attributes like that, which rather quickly fell back down after the child was released as an adult. I forget what the permanent change was, but it wasn't much. A permanent drop in something.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2014, 06:16:58 pm »

The current model proposed by McDonald seems to work like a conventional danger room and might end up with different results.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

McDonald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2014, 06:21:49 pm »

Can dwarves eat, drink etc. when in 3/7 water? If yes, i can fill my cell with 3/7 water  and a tile or two with 4/7 to occasionally train swimming and speed up attribute gain.
I'm with stupid |
                      v

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2014, 06:24:53 pm »

I am now curious to know what adult dwarves think about witnessing children be "Instructed" in these "Schools" now.

Reaction code has handles for more than just dead bodies you know.

McDonald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2014, 06:27:52 pm »

It is terrifying.

Or it is for the best.

Either way, I really need data on eating while submerged.
I'm with stupid |
                      v

HooliganintheFort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2014, 06:33:37 pm »

If this works, one can send a squad of these superdwarves into the circus and that squad can conquer the place with two or three casualties. If you have seven superdwarves though, two or three deaths would be high.

This reminds me of GoT's Unsullied. Taken from their mothers at birth and train for battle.

Sorry if I made a few mistakes. I am on my phone right now.

McDonald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2014, 06:39:25 pm »

I can feel your pain bro, I'm also on my phone right now. :(
I'm with stupid |
                      v

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2014, 06:42:20 pm »

Eh, it could work for many purposes, not just military. It's more like, if this works, we just came up with the Dwarf Fortress version of the school system.  :P And I'm sure it'll get stickied and possibly added to advanced fortress guides the way working hospitals and the military system already are.

McDonald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2014, 06:52:52 pm »

Sweet jesus Armok, I just noticed that one fourth of this thread is my posts! I surely do love child desecration.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 06:55:22 pm by McDonald »
I'm with stupid |
                      v

saurio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2014, 07:00:07 pm »

I have been trying the danger room (For Kids!) method and it has failed, dwarven children aren't though enough to withstand the constant poking it seems.

I built a few one-person danger rooms with a bed and a food stockpile, then locked the test subjects inside. The results so far have been:

subject 1, 1 training spear per tile: both hands and wrists fractured, died of blood loss (went faint, then pale, and his cell ended up covered in blood so...)
subject 2, 2 training spears per tile: multiple fractures, permanently unconscious, infection
subject 3, 3 training spears per tile: broken wrist and ankle, infection, taken to hospital a few days after commencing experiment
subject 4, 4 training spears per tile: multiple fractures, experiment was abandoned due to forgotten beasts

For the record, most hits were deflected by the subjects' *cave spider leather whatevers*, but they did suffer fractures occasionally, with eventual fatal consequences. The longest surviving one, subject 1, lasted barely 2 years, and he started very tough in his description, as well as only one spear per tile that didn't trigger all that often due to the pressure plate being place in a non ideal tile. The other subjects had more extreme testing conditions, such as more spears per tile and faster repetition, and they were quickly destroyed by the repeating spears.

I also tried making their cells hospital zones, but it didn't work, they were taken to the real hospital when allowed.

My guess is for this to work the subjects would have to be placed in a "danger crθche" that included beds, a food stockpile, a well, soap and a hospital zone, with dedicated doctor(s) to tend to their wounds. And even then I don't know if it would work, because as I mentioned one subject died of blood loss, which I don't think can be cured.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 62