Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 62

Author Topic: Dwarven Child Care [Reboot] (Werezombie Cloning Tech (What in Armok's name?!))  (Read 206845 times)

McDonald

• Bay Watcher
  • Passwords get hidden, who knew? ••••••••
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Child Care [Reboot]
« Reply #60 on: July 16, 2014, 10:31:25 am »

The spears are 2x3 and by the power of a bedroom and six meeting zones the subject stays in one place. He also had some food literally next to him. I think that the pathfinding was screwed up because of the water going 3/7->4/7->3/7 all the time.

I'm also creating a new test chamber, so I'll try this ledge method.

Hey, he just said that death doesn't upset him. Cool.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 10:41:26 am by McDonald »
I'm with stupid |
                      v

deepfreeze78

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 16, 2014, 10:41:44 am »

Gosh I love DF. PTW, may contribute if I have a fort survive long enough without my dwarves climbing into then jumping out of trees repeatedly until death....
Nothing's truly dwarfy until it's been weaponized to kill elves with magma.

McDonald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 16, 2014, 10:47:45 am »

Use meeting zones, dwarves climb because they have nowhere to go.

Armok Christ, these dwarves will give me a heart attack someday. The subject just escaped his containment unit through the food chute when I opened it (He somehow climbed a smooth wall), and after recontainment, I threw in a corpse and some weaponsmith jumped inside to clean the blood splatter when I wasn't watching. He got outside just when I closed the hatch, though.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 10:54:25 am by McDonald »
I'm with stupid |
                      v

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 16, 2014, 10:49:54 am »

I've got a Fortress surviving into autumn on 40.03. I might contribute too if I can keep it going long enough for children to appear. I got a summer migrant wave that had eight adults, how (un)lucky is that?

If you can work fluid logic well enough to figure out timers, we might be able to use a living enemy to scare the kids. Just gotta time it so the enemy's only exposed in short, regulated bursts that don't keep the kids from taking care of themselves. First thing I'm going to do once I get my forges churning out battle gear is to build a hospital wing and an adjoining childcare wing that can feed injuries into it if need be. Assuming I get any kids in my fortress in the first place.

deepfreeze78

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 16, 2014, 10:52:57 am »

Ah, good idea, thanks. I will definitely try to contribute then. I'm now just waiting for my world to gen. It's been an hour with largest possible, highest possible everything, and only at year 480. Thinking of just stopping there.

I've got a Fortress surviving into autumn on 40.03. I might contribute too if I can keep it going long enough for children to appear. I got a summer migrant wave that had eight adults, how (un)lucky is that?

If you can work fluid logic well enough to figure out timers, we might be able to use a living enemy to scare the kids. Just gotta time it so the enemy's only exposed in short, regulated bursts that don't keep the kids from taking care of themselves. First thing I'm going to do once I get my forges churning out battle gear is to build a hospital wing and an adjoining childcare wing that can feed injuries into it if need be. Assuming I get any kids in my fortress in the first place.

I just pictured a Woolly Mammoth playing peek-a-boo with all the kids. Ice Age anyone?
Nothing's truly dwarfy until it's been weaponized to kill elves with magma.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 16, 2014, 11:03:21 am »

I think if we go with a danger room Lind of setup then you could occasionally throw in disarmed kobolds and baby animals to help them get used to tragedy. Maybe even throw in disarmed goblins once they get old and skilled enough.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

McDonald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 16, 2014, 11:05:30 am »

If you can work fluid logic well enough to figure out timers, we might be able to use a living enemy to scare the kids. Just gotta time it so the enemy's only exposed in short, regulated bursts that don't keep the kids from taking care of themselves.
I'm not into dwarven mechanics, but we could just put the enemy behind a window and drawbridge, link the bridge to a lever and expose the child until it's hungry or thirsty and order a dwarf to close the bridge. Needs a lot of micromanagement, though.

My fort seems to be exceptionally lucky, it has survived 2 years, has 6 punching champions, enough booze to explode the whole pocket world and not a single dwarf has jumped from a tree. The subject has not suffered any injuries in several months of constant poking, is mighty, quite durable, has good kinetic(WTF?) kinesthetic and spacial sense and also good focus. Death "does not upset him". He's Adept in dodging, fighting and armor using. The only drawback to no injuries is his slow healing and little willpower.
I'm with stupid |
                      v

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 16, 2014, 11:13:08 am »

Hmm, maybe Toady reduced the lethality of training weapons to make squad training more reliable. Spear poking used to be deadly if you sent unarmored dwarves in. I guess just whack 10 spears in there if that's the case.

McDonald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 16, 2014, 11:15:24 am »

Argh, the freaking door to the child's containment keeps unforbidding by itself. I'll wall it in.

Do broken bones heal by themselves? My next 1-year-old patient has been prematurely exposed to spears and now her right lower arm is broken.

Oh, no, the child is fully clothed and that keeps him from getting injured.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 11:17:02 am by McDonald »
I'm with stupid |
                      v

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 16, 2014, 11:18:44 am »

Use a lever-controlled door or a floodgate, they don't open unless forced.

McDonald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 16, 2014, 11:45:57 am »

Not good, my subject's clothing is showing signs of wear.

What do you think about naming the children containment units? What about CTP, "Contain, Train, Protect"?
I'm with stupid |
                      v

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 16, 2014, 12:05:58 pm »

CDA from monster's Inc.

Child Detection agency? Naw--  Child Detention Agency-- YES.

McDonald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 16, 2014, 12:13:08 pm »

You know what I like? Having soundsense, watching the spears go up and down and hearing rhytmical crunch, crunch, crunch.

I like wierd's name, "Eat your masterfully minced stack of five dragonfly brains, or you will go to CDA!"

Edit: OH GOD THE NEXT SUBJECT IS READY AND I'M NOT HELP! Okay, the next subject is a 1yo girl Edem Datanikthag (Edem Ironsqueezes). Very agile and strong. Her CDA Containment Unit has several dodge-me traps with 1 Z-level falls (to ensure bruising and faster healing, higher willpower and toughness), and a around 20 Z-level climb to get food and drink. The CU can be partially filled with water to train swimming.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 12:41:17 pm by McDonald »
I'm with stupid |
                      v

McDonald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 16, 2014, 12:52:21 pm »

This is a total failure. The subject refuses to go back to the spears and instead hangs onto the wall leading to food. Well, I still have one subject ready in a few months to test new chambers.

A dwarf has gone insane from a failed mood and one-shotted six dwarves, two of which were military. I'm thinking of conscripting him.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 01:15:10 pm by McDonald »
I'm with stupid |
                      v

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 16, 2014, 12:57:36 pm »

Since this method was pioneered by a forumite called "McDonald", I vote for McDonalds Play Place or something to that effect.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 62