Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 62

Author Topic: Dwarven Child Care [Reboot] (Werezombie Cloning Tech (What in Armok's name?!))  (Read 204860 times)

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Child Care [Reboot] (Dodging Nuclear Reactors!)
« Reply #180 on: August 21, 2014, 03:28:10 pm »

Ok, so the scare closet didn't work with crundles I managed to catch from the caverns; for some reason they simply didn't scare the students at all. They simply carried on calmly with their business even when I released few crundles running around the classroom in panic. I'll have to catch something bigger; maybe I can get at the cave crocodile I spotted in the first cavern, before the FB stomps it too...

Meanwhile, I got some more dropouts but my star students are now at Professional level, almost halfway to Legendary. There are now 55 students attending and the logistics can handle that nicely; I'll keep adding students until all 92 children are in.

The fort is running at around 14 FPS with twenty mist generators and a hefty water reactor running non-stop. This might take a while...
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 03:33:16 pm by Staalo »
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 21, 2014, 04:08:21 pm »

I only just finished hooking up all of my "exercise equipment", haven't even gotten the small number of children I have into the burrow, and just had two child deaths within a few days of each other.

For some reason all of the children in my current fort are almost constantly hurling themselves onto the floor without explanation. Anyone know why they might be doing this? I don't seen any of the adults doing it, so it doesn't feel like some kind of lets jump up and down until we fall over bug, but I don't know.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 21, 2014, 04:55:08 pm »

Ok, so the scare closet didn't work with crundles I managed to catch from the caverns; for some reason they simply didn't scare the students at all. They simply carried on calmly with their business even when I released few crundles running around the classroom in panic. I'll have to catch something bigger; maybe I can get at the cave crocodile I spotted in the first cavern, before the FB stomps it too...

Meanwhile, I got some more dropouts but my star students are now at Professional level, almost halfway to Legendary. There are now 55 students attending and the logistics can handle that nicely; I'll keep adding students until all 92 children are in.

The fort is running at around 14 FPS with twenty mist generators and a hefty water reactor running non-stop. This might take a while...

Try the scare closet with something larger - I remember hearing that size affects scare capacity.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 22, 2014, 01:13:01 am »

Mangled corpses also seem to induce paralyzing terror. A mangled zombie in the scare closet should provide the most bang for the buck, so to speak, without releasing endless clouds of miasma.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Child Care [Reboot]
« Reply #184 on: August 22, 2014, 01:35:29 am »

I suppose if you had soldiers with high climbing skill, you could send them to battle invaders on a narrow bridge with deep but narrow pits on either side. If the invaders dodge, they fall to their deaths. If the dwarves dodge, they start to fall but grab the wall and climb back up. Kind of a dodge-fall trap without the traps. But it's got sooo many ways it could go wrong. Other than that, I don't see a whole lot of value in training climbing.

Keith
Dwarves don't grab the walls mid-flight. It's a bug with the AI.

Tested the nuclear reactor in Arena. When dwarves jump out of someone's flight path, they just step away and switch places with other dwarves instead of actually jumping.
Because of that, the only kind of a chain reaction you could cause is a dangerous and completely useless one, where dwarves fail to jump out of the way and end up getting send flying themselves, and several such failures in a row are extremely unlikely to happen unless the dwarves in question are unconscious.
Conclusion: dwarf-based nuclear reactors cannot be designed in such a way as to train dodging.

Makes sense. It would change if Toady ever implements dodging as jumping though. As such, it's an idea to keep on the back pile, as a "mechanics update" could well make it possible later. Other mitigating factors that could come into play, should toady implement such things later at least, would be some of the logical conclusions to some of toady's musings in the FotF posts about wanting to enforce density restrictions on entities and items per tile unit.  Clever engineering of having rooms at max allowable capacity (with all the chaos this would cause), minus exactly 1 individual from perfect maximum, would result in a kind of musical chairs, where the "hole" moves around randomly in the room as dwarves try to go from higher density to the lower density. This is similar to how a lonely 6/7 tile will flit around a cistern filled to 7/7-- only with dwarves.

As for unconsciousness in the original reactor idea, if you keep the children in there long enough, some will try to sleep on the floor, providing the unconscious bodies without requiring injuries to produce them. Adding items to the room, such as prepared meals, may also be an interesting factor to explore.

Another interesting version may be a 1x3 tube room, filled to insane densities, where the wrestling match occurs. This would maximize the chances that dodges will be unsuccessful; a seemingly counter-intuitive proposal-- however, doing so maximizes the chance that a dwarf will collide, and be sent flying due to the collision. Coupled with ample protective clothing, per Staalo's clothing methods, it may yet be of interest.

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 22, 2014, 09:50:51 am »

it's possible with minecart and stockpile logic to set up an infinitely refilling stockpile of food for solitary confinement cells, with zero micromanagement after setup.

First, to make sure your cells don't get your entire fortress' food supply and starve out the fort, set the stockpile that the minecart's home stop takes from to give to every main food store in the fort, so that it will only receive food if every store is full. Then make a route with a (non-dumping!) stop near each of your cells, set to guide the minecart away after (100/num_cells)% has been removed from its load. Link each stop to a minecart-dump QSP that drops things through the roof of the cell. Congrats, your dwarves will now constantly haul food to your inmates beloved kiddies.
This should remove at least some of the worries of child mortality rates from the organisers of Camp Childcare.

Off-topic-but-maybe-slightly-on-topic question: Does a repeater based on two tiles of water, one 7/7 and one 6/7, with a pressure plate set to 7/7 only on the one tile, work? Or is the speed too fast for the single pressure pad to handle? A repeater like the could be useful for training.

Also, maybe a long, 2+ wide corridor with a set of raising bridges in the centre so as to throw the children into the open floor space? Not sure if it would train anything but it would certainly toughen them up with injuries, and I doubt they would be severely injured if you built the walls and bridges out of wood or candy (because why not). Plus, it's free xp for your medical crew. That would of course only be helpful in a boarding school setup.

Edit: grammar.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 10:10:17 am by Skullsploder »
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: August 22, 2014, 12:38:16 pm »

No, a 2 cell water repeater doesn't work, the water moves around too fast to have a proper level on either square for enough time to trigger the plate. Ones about 5 cells long could work though.

The best simple water repeater is an airlock thing with a water source behind it. It also fills up a room to alternating 3/7 and 4/7 water and maintains the level. See the dwarf fortress wiki page on repeaters.

For consistent injuries you could make a coinstar but use slightly heavier items than normal. Coins or socks apparently do no damage, boulders would be instant death, but there could be some weight threshold of items that gives sufficiently predictable minor injuries.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 12:43:17 pm by Reelya »

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 22, 2014, 03:18:30 pm »

Yeah, my problem is that most of the water-based repeaters require infinite water sources and a lot of water wastage, while my forts tend to need to draw water up from the caverns via pumpstack that, for the sake of my fps, only gets activated once in a while. But if a 5-tile works, then that's perfectly fine, even if it may be a tiny bit erratic - I am just activating spikes and bridges with it, after all.

I played the new version a bit when it first came out, but went back to my 34.11 fort quickly. Now, for the sake of the children, I think I'll download 40.09 and play a bit. I'd like to be at the forefront of !!SCIENCE!! :D

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 22, 2014, 09:20:57 pm »

Levers / pressure plates work at a distance though. You can make a reliable fluid repeater as per the wiki right down in the caverns itself and lever-link it up to something on the upper floors. No need to pump any water.

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: August 23, 2014, 02:48:42 am »

X_X right. Excuse me while I go hide my shame at forgetting about Dwarven Quantum Entanglement Mechanisms (just mechanisms for short).

Also, I have a 40.09 fort now, just to test childcare. Popcap set to 50, childcap set to 100. Aquifer has been pierced, about to drill the main stairwell down. After that it's on to dining room, bedrooms for the general pop and then Friendly Ultra Nice pods for the kiddies.

Since no one else here seems to be doing solitary confinement I thought I'd try it out :)

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: August 23, 2014, 06:17:26 am »

I may have overdone it with the training. Even a closetful of corpses and body parts doesn't faze my children.

Even without any Discipline they simply look at them as if fascinated by them while everyone else nearby is overcome by mortal terror. Could enough combat training substitute for Discipline somehow?

Uhhh... welcome?

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: August 23, 2014, 07:25:47 am »

Do they actually have no Discipline? Or did the constant beating with sticks train it up some?

Maybe try to get a Goblin, or FB?

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: August 23, 2014, 08:35:10 am »

No Discipline trained at all. Even then, most of the students just walked right over the furnace operator corpse I dumped in the midst of them. Two were horrified but it turned out they were related to the corpse.

I wish I could catch something more threatening but there have been no sieges and the FBs are proving difficult to capture alive.

Uhhh... welcome?

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: August 23, 2014, 03:37:48 pm »

X_X right. Excuse me while I go hide my shame at forgetting about Dwarven Quantum Entanglement Mechanisms (just mechanisms for short).

Also, I have a 40.09 fort now, just to test childcare. Popcap set to 50, childcap set to 100. Aquifer has been pierced, about to drill the main stairwell down. After that it's on to dining room, bedrooms for the general pop and then Friendly Ultra Nice pods for the kiddies.

Since no one else here seems to be doing solitary confinement I thought I'd try it out :)

If you've got an aquifer, why don't you just use that for your infinite water source?

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: August 24, 2014, 01:39:50 am »

Note to self: when all students are best friends with each other, it's not a good idea to let one of them be insta-vaporized by a Forgotten Beast. With half the school now flashing red, I'm announcing a special summer break for partying and sleeping in own rooms. I'd hate to have a tantrum spiral with these guys...

The students are now very close to Legendary. Few Grand Masters with lots of High Masters and Masters coming behind. Once I'll deal with the current unhappiness the first graduations should not be far.

Uhhh... welcome?
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 62