Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 62

Author Topic: Dwarven Child Care [Reboot] (Werezombie Cloning Tech (What in Armok's name?!))  (Read 204779 times)

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Child Care [Reboot] (Many Innocent Deaths)
« Reply #375 on: October 08, 2014, 03:36:23 pm »

I was left thinking about using controlled drowning to build up the recuperation attribute for the students. In fact it bothered me so much that I had to conduct one more cruel experiment.

So, a test chamber was built, a simple 3x3 swimming pool filled with 7/7 water. A retracting bridge was built to cover the entire pool area and linked into a simple lever. A volunteer, one of the dropouts named Rakust Zesònul was dropped into the pool by retracting the bridge and the only exit was locked. The bridge was extended and retracted continuously, causing repeated short drowning spells for the test subject. This was continued until the tester had to be let out of the pool for a drink.

The results were a bit disappointing: Swimmer skill was trained at very fast rate but recuperation wasn't raised at all. Maybe the timing of the bridge retraction could be tweaked to prolong the drowning periods... I will continue tormenting poor Rakust for a while to see if there's any way to get this working.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 03:40:40 pm by Staalo »
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: October 08, 2014, 06:41:27 pm »

Just use 4/7 water. The drowning isn't helping any.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: October 09, 2014, 02:28:30 am »

Just use 4/7 water. The drowning isn't helping any.

I already have an ordinary swimming pool in use. What I was aiming with this setup was to test out a mention in a Wiki comment page about recuperation and drowning. So far no success with that.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 03:28:55 am by Staalo »

Uhhh... welcome?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: October 09, 2014, 04:37:14 am »

I wonder if I just trained my recuperating due to almost choking to death when I read the words "I'm still finding Dog Bone Doctor teeth in odd places", come on man!

Now I wonder if there is anywhere which isn't an odd place to find the teeth of Doctor Doggie McHouser, M.D.?

Oh lord, just showed that to the missus, explained that the dogs have the title which means they have the skills, but won't do the jobs because they're pets.

Now I have the image of a dog looking over your shoulder while you set a broken leg.
"You're doing that wrong."
'OK FINE, WHY DON'T YOU DO IT?'
"I'm a dog."
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 05:39:34 am by Max™ »

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #379 on: October 09, 2014, 05:54:59 am »

"You're doing that wrong."
'OK FINE, WHY DON'T YOU DO IT?'
"I'm a dog."
Sigged!
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: October 09, 2014, 06:55:28 am »

:D

It amuses me every time I read it.

Actually that explains why you'd use them for tragedy training.

Doggie McBone Doctor cancels criticism: unsafe terrain.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 07:01:07 am by Max™ »

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: October 09, 2014, 09:12:58 am »

Now what other profession would an ambitious and  educated dog choose but Bone Doctor?

But seriously, it also creeped me out beyond belief to see them crying for help and lamenting their injuries in combat logs. Never again.

Uhhh... welcome?

Pirate Bob

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: TORTURE_FOR_SCIENCE: ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: October 09, 2014, 02:45:23 pm »

So, your fort of totally insane dwarves thinks that the dogs are intelligent and talking to them, but the dogs don't actually do any work.  It sounds like you have have created Wilfred.  You just need to make the dogs use a custom language with most words replaced with swearing.

More seriously, would a 1x1 chamber surrounded by fortifications/windows containing a zombie work as a replacement for horrifying your children? 

Alternatively, you could just make their playroom overlap with your regular refuse dump.  My dwarves are constantly horrified by refuse, because I put it next to the main entrance - I'm going to have to move it just to get them to go outside without complaining.  I assume this is because there are some bodies of invaders in there.  Maybe this would not work for Staalo though, as I think he said he hasn't had invaders in a while?  In any case, they definitely don't have to witness the death - just the body is enough to get the "horrified" message, although I don't know how much this trains associated skills (this is still the case in 40.13, although it is an imported save).  My corpse stockpile contains elf invaders (the goblin civ keeps sending elves to siege me) and some of my domestic animals killed by said elves.

DiacetylMorphine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: October 09, 2014, 02:48:13 pm »

I already have an ordinary swimming pool in use. What I was aiming with this setup was to test out a mention in a Wiki comment page about recuperation and drowning. So far no success with that.

it work in adventure mode as least, wonder why it's not in fortress

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: October 09, 2014, 03:19:04 pm »

I've thought a lot about climbing training and some about discipline...

One possibility might be to place a hostile creature above a small area where the children are in a way that helps promote climbing (I've seen dwarves climb under this situation before)

C = cage built
+ = doors
# = walls
. = floors
_ = channel
space = open space
Z1
Code: [Select]
#########
##......#
##     .#
##     .#
+C     .#
##     .#
##     .#
##......#
#########
Z0
Code: [Select]
#########
#########
#_.....##
#_.....##
#_.....##
#_......+
#_.....##
#########
#########

Uh basically trap a hostile creature and dig out a room like I showed (though you can work on the design). Link the cage to a lever, put the kids inside on the bottom, lock the doors and pull the lever.

The key features of the room being:

• Monster in a cage that can be released, but has no where to go. The floor tile its on should be an overhang so it can't climb down (it shouldn't try to anyways, but make it a monster that can't climb as well)
  • Overhang where the monster is also keeps dwarves from climbing up to it to fight it.
  • On the other walls of the room have ledges that the scared dwarves can climb up and down from (put an exit here probably in case they get stuck). Frightened dwarves seem more willing to climb to get away from threats than normal disciplined dwarves

You could experiment with some sort of reveal mechanism for the monster to provide repeated scares -> hides -> scares, and what not, but maybe a design like this would work to some extent?

In either case it seems like you need to frighten dwarves to encourage them to climb, if children can even climb at all. For discipline I'd think you just need a clear ray to the dwarves so they get scared, but something like a pit or other inaccessible terrain so they don't just rush and attack. Monsters have to be sufficiently scary as well I'd imagine, something like a Giant Rat doesn't cause much fear. You need undead or something like that.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 03:26:18 pm by Slogo »

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: October 10, 2014, 12:18:02 pm »

So, your fort of totally insane dwarves thinks that the dogs are intelligent and talking to them, but the dogs don't actually do any work.  It sounds like you have have created Wilfred.  You just need to make the dogs use a custom language with most words replaced with swearing.

It must be all that fungal booze they're quaffing all the time.

Oh, and I have tried all kinds of monster-behind-fortification and corpse-pile-in-the-classroom type scenarios; for some reason they didn't have any effect on the children, even if some visiting adults were freaked out.

Luckily, after all those atrocities with talking dogs all of my students are already fully traumatized. I'm now merely fast-forwarding the game to get the last few students graduated and to finally wind down this boarding school project. After that I'll think up some suitable ending to the fort; there isn't much point to play further without invasions and Searingmines is starting to lose its new fort smell anyway. Maybe I'll abandon the fortress and hope that some graduates will migrate to future forts, or just take all of them to see the circus as a graduation present.

Uhhh... welcome?

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: October 10, 2014, 01:54:06 pm »

It must be all that fungal booze they're quaffing all the time.

Oh, and I have tried all kinds of monster-behind-fortification and corpse-pile-in-the-classroom type scenarios; for some reason they didn't have any effect on the children, even if some visiting adults were freaked out.

Luckily, after all those atrocities with talking dogs all of my students are already fully traumatized. I'm now merely fast-forwarding the game to get the last few students graduated and to finally wind down this boarding school project. After that I'll think up some suitable ending to the fort; there isn't much point to play further without invasions and Searingmines is starting to lose its new fort smell anyway. Maybe I'll abandon the fortress and hope that some graduates will migrate to future forts, or just take all of them to see the circus as a graduation present.

Maybe leave some of them as children, retire, and see how that impacts migrant children. Like can you get your own super soldier children while they're still children? That or play in legends to pass time and see if your legendary children do anything heroic.

Onod Itlud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: October 10, 2014, 03:13:32 pm »

-Snip-
I think it would be interesting to see how your ninety or so Legendary Dwarven Fighters impact the world after a fortress retirement. Give it a few years in world then check up on them. Brings up the question of restarting a Dwarven Civilization. Would your legendary Dwarves make enough of a different to halt a Goblin advance in a world where they were dominant? Stuff like that. Interested to see what comes of it in any case.

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: October 11, 2014, 05:20:02 am »

-Snip-
I think it would be interesting to see how your ninety or so Legendary Dwarven Fighters impact the world after a fortress retirement. Give it a few years in world then check up on them. Brings up the question of restarting a Dwarven Civilization. Would your legendary Dwarves make enough of a different to halt a Goblin advance in a world where they were dominant? Stuff like that. Interested to see what comes of it in any case.

The answer to that question is actually no at the moment. The attacker always wins post worldgen.

Onod Itlud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: October 11, 2014, 10:52:58 am »

-snip-
That's a shame. I still thing it may be interesting to see where they pop up in the legends, but that certainly leaves a little to be desired when it comes to the active world.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 62