Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 62

Author Topic: Dwarven Child Care [Reboot] (Werezombie Cloning Tech (What in Armok's name?!))  (Read 206252 times)

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile

PTW, and Spartans arnt half as good as our "kids", input evil laugh!
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile

It'll be about two weeks at minimum before I can start the process of condensing this 47-page monstrosity into a guide to Dwarven daycare operations, but I'm determined to do it sooner or later.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Isngrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

would it be possible to use the top 3 z-lvls in an evil biome to make a more automated zombie creation?
i was thinking of having a hatch on the lvl 1,one z lvl below that is a dump zone sitting on a retractable bridge and a series of cage traps below that,or maybe even a dump zone on top of cage traps if possible,so you can have your dwarves dump the preferred body parts on the zone,open the top hatch exposing the body parts to the elements and trapping them.

also earlier in the thread someone mentioned effects of blood rain on the children,was it blood from a sentient creature or not,since sentience seems to play an important role.and would blood rain help add to danger room/guest lecture experience?
08:43 PM The wild animals and insects sang a merry tune and the trees performed a dance. I know you're trying to cheer me up, Vishnu, but that was actually a bit creepy.-Rhons

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile

So basically, the two most sustainable sources of student training are werecreature zombies and trogs (necessary for desensitizing students). If I still understand this, it's still just a cross-shaped room with beds, booze, food and something else on their own places, with bridges topped with repeating wooden spikes over water connecting those areas. For advanced combat training, a separate room connected to the first, with a military member visible through a fortification or window and a necromancer capable of reanimating things in said room is necessary, along with yet another room for introducing new sparring partners.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So basically, the two most sustainable sources of student training are werecreature zombies and trogs (necessary for desensitizing students). If I still understand this, it's still just a cross-shaped room with beds, booze, food and something else on their own places, with bridges topped with repeating wooden spikes over water connecting those areas. For advanced combat training, a separate room connected to the first, with a military member visible through a fortification or window and a necromancer capable of reanimating things in said room is necessary, along with yet another room for introducing new sparring partners.

I think that's mixing up the advanced student setup with the beginner's room.

The cross shaped room is a combination of introductory training room, swimming, dorm and dinning. 
But prior to setting up this beginner's room, there are initial requirements of: clothing uniforms supply, hospital administrator / supervisor.
The Administrator's Overseer's Guide of Dwarven Child Care should at least mention these initial setups which includes food, drinks, plumbing, mechanical systems for the dodge traps, and other supporting system to handle the capturing acquiring of future lecturers.

Acquiring necromancer as part of the day care regiment also would be a special case setup, or even biome-specific setup.

Like-wise, controlled were-type lecturers will also fall into another special case that depends on the capture of said were creature.

I think introducing to were-types, re-animators, and guest lecturers seem to require a student with minimal sets of skills to survive or dodge fatal blows that a new student will not have.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile

Yes, spear dodging and zombie mashing happen in different rooms. Here's a picture of my current setup:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As always, it's a result of impulsive experimentation and hasty reworking after hitting some dead ends. One could always come up with much neater design with some thought, but I've basically made it up as I go. I numbered some of the highlights:

1: Youngster training room

The children enroll here right after they're made their first naked run to the clothes stockpile on their first birthday. They'll live in this room with their peers while getting gently disciplined with hundreds of wooden sticks, five sticks per square to be exact. The spear trap mechanisms are all hooked up to a minecart repeater seen on the lower left side of the picture.

At the middle of the training room is a swimming pool built with willow floors and filled up to 5/7 depth with water. The idea is to force students to dodge into the water when they're crossing the winding bridge in the middle and get swimming training when they struggle to get back up again. The screencap was taken right after I had used dfhack clean command (having some trouble with FPS); before that the water was basically just thick sludge of blood, pus, ichor and vomit soaked off from second level students having a swim after a hard lecture in the combat room.

As you can see, this room is no longer cross-shaped; the students will hang out willingly in the training area even when they're not trying to get to the other end of the room. I briefly toyed with an idea to build the room as a checkerboard of small swimming pools to boost Swimming training speed.

2: Combat room

This is just an empty room with a retractable bridge forming the entire floor; there are also other features but more about them later. The students get transferred to the combat room when they hit Master in Armor User; at they point they'll also be about Legendary to Legendary+1 in Dodge as well. Here they'll battle anything hostile that I can get either captured or reanimated. If things get too hot or students end up with an unkillable enemy (like a zombie head or reanimated hair) there's an option to retract the bridge and flush everyone down to a lower level room filled with cage traps and built with willow floors to minimize falling damage.

In the screencap the students have just attended a lecture given by two Blind Cave Ogres and an undead Troglodyte. After each lecture I give them some time to cool off since constant encounters with death and undeath tend to have their toll on the dwarven psyche. It also gives me time to find new guest lecturers; they're always in short supply.

3: Zombie factory

In the screencap the valuable worker and honored guest of Copperfell, the human Fishery Worker Necromancer Ligir Paddedholds is chained at her position in the reanimation room. Dead corpses would be dumped into this room, Ligir would reanimate them and the zombies would get caught into cage traps while trying to charge into the fortress to kill everyone.

This was basically an attempt to provide a steady supply of training partners; it works with moderate success but most of the time Ligir's services are required in the combat room. This is the problem with a limited resource like necromancers; a reanimating biome would be more practical with industrialized zombie production.

4: Reanimation booth

This is where Ligir ended up later. A lever-operated door would expose the combat room to the necromancer's vision and she would reanimate anything dead in the room. The idea was to get more out of the guest lecturers and reanimate them again and again until they'd get too pulped to reanimate anymore. Only problem is that students tend to be very rough to their training partners and very often nothing reanimatable is left.

One notable success was when I tested the werezombie cloning bug; a head and two hands from a werehyena were dumped into the room and Ligir got to do her magic. The students ended up fighting three identical werehyena zombies in a battle of epic proportions; too bad they pulped all three zombies too badly to get another round out of them. When another werecreature visits Copperfell I'm going to try to clone dozens of werezombies before I let my students at them.

5. Aggro booths

Some guest lecturers like Blind Cave Ogres or Troglodytes need to see a member of the military before they turn hostile. I have assigned a militia veteran to a military observer status and have her stationed into a special viewing booth behind fortifications. The upper booth is to see if witnessing a hostile soldier increases reanimation chances with the necromancer; so far I've had inconclusive results.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh, and congratulations to Kogan Gatesaviors for being the Dwarven Boarding School of Copperfell's first graduate!

Kogan is one of the migrant children so he's had less time to hone his skills than the fortress-born students will have. There are some true monsters coming up in few years.

Here's his final score card:

His attributes went up quite a bit during the training; most of the skill-related attributes are already maxed out:

He has seven kills in his name, six troglodytes and one troll. I'm going to compare the final kill counts as students graduate. I'm also going to monitor their size when they grow up as it looks like this kind of training breeds some huge dwarves. Kogan is at very hefty 92 910 cubic centimeters and there are some ten year olds who are way over 110 000. In comparison my burliest militia veteran barely clears 90 000.

Uhhh... welcome?

CancerousCthulhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh, and congratulations to Kogan Gatesaviors for being the Dwarven Boarding School of Copperfell's first graduate!

Kogan is one of the migrant children so he's had less time to hone his skills than the fortress-born students will have. There are some true monsters coming up in few years.

Here's his final score card:

His attributes went up quite a bit during the training; most of the skill-related attributes are already maxed out:

He has seven kills in his name, six troglodytes and one troll. I'm going to compare the final kill counts as students graduate. I'm also going to monitor their size when they grow up as it looks like this kind of training breeds some huge dwarves. Kogan is at very hefty 92 910 cubic centimeters and there are some ten year olds who are way over 110 000. In comparison my burliest militia veteran barely clears 90 000.

I'm pretty sure that last bit is... utterly astounding. Aren't dwarfs supposed to only be about 90,000 cubic cm as the very maximum peak of dwarven largeness?
Guys I don't think we want to mess with using dwarves as fusion material here. Be careful.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm pretty sure that last bit is... utterly astounding. Aren't dwarfs supposed to only be about 90,000 cubic cm as the very maximum peak of dwarven largeness?

According to this wiki article the maximum is 93750 but then there's this, for example:

Of course Dwarf Therapist could report the sizes wrong, somehow.

Uhhh... welcome?

CancerousCthulhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

According to this wiki article the maximum is 93750 but then there's this, for example:

Of course Dwarf Therapist could report the sizes wrong, somehow.

Hm. I don't know how to figure out which is correct. I'm sure some snooping in the raws could figure this out pretty quickly, though.
Guys I don't think we want to mess with using dwarves as fusion material here. Be careful.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

It is terrifying.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile

Your children go through so many zombies that your fort requires industrial zombie production to keep up with the demand?

Hardcore.

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile

Yeah, I knew I had mentioned both advanced and basic training there. But it's nice to know that one of the things I forgot was the clothing stockpile.

But yeah, those are some freaking humongous dwarves. For comparison, what size are other sapients? I know elves are the same size, just taller, but goblins? Kobolds? Humans? I assume humans at least are several times larger, but I wouldn't be surprised if leaving a dwarf in a training room like this for their entire life would result in 150,000 cubic cm dwarves.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

Isngrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Since quality of mechanisms determines the skill of a weapon swing,would using low quality mechanisms for the spears lower the chances of injuring the children?
08:43 PM The wild animals and insects sang a merry tune and the trees performed a dance. I know you're trying to cheer me up, Vishnu, but that was actually a bit creepy.-Rhons

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Since quality of mechanisms determines the skill of a weapon swing,would using low quality mechanisms for the spears lower the chances of injuring the children?

In theory yes, but since all training spears are harmless except against naked flesh the mechanism quality is not an important factor. Or, if I understood the combat system correctly it could even be beneficial since the spears would become harder to dodge and would hit armor more often. Armor user is always slower to train with this system.

If someone is building their own training room at the moment I'd suggest to try and build it with low quality spears and Masterwork mechanisms to test this out...

Uhhh... welcome?
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 62