Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 62

Author Topic: Dwarven Child Care [Reboot] (Werezombie Cloning Tech (What in Armok's name?!))  (Read 204792 times)

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Since quality of mechanisms determines the skill of a weapon swing,would using low quality mechanisms for the spears lower the chances of injuring the children?

In theory yes, but since all training spears are harmless except against naked flesh the mechanism quality is not an important factor. Or, if I understood the combat system correctly it could even be beneficial since the spears would become harder to dodge and would hit armor more often. Armor user is always slower to train with this system.

If someone is building their own training room at the moment I'd suggest to try and build it with low quality spears and Masterwork mechanisms to test this out...

Can also just df-hack and change item quality of everything in the tile for faster setup, then run the test.

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm pretty sure that last bit is... utterly astounding. Aren't dwarfs supposed to only be about 90,000 cubic cm as the very maximum peak of dwarven largeness?

According to this wiki article the maximum is 93750 but then there's this, for example:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Of course Dwarf Therapist could report the sizes wrong, somehow.

It's been a while, but IIRC, the size ranges listed on the wiki are the base sizes (determined at birth), before modifications from changes during life. Your training is adding muscle mass, so increasing size above the start point. If you start with a dwarf that's already at/near the top of the range, it would be fairly easy to push it above the theoretical limits (but conversely, those that started out at the bottom of the range are probably barely above average at this point).

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile

I will consider it a success when anything exceeds theoretical limits. After all, the betterment of dwarfkind was the whole aim of this project. I will keep particularly gigantic graduates together and try to get them marry each other when they grow up. Let's see how big I can breed the next generation with such good genes and life long training.

Kogan has now entered his mandatory military service where he'll train for one or two years. This time I'm pairing the graduates with militia veterans for faster training; with Kogan at least it seems to be very effective. After few years older graduates will instruct younger ones.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile

I do believe that there is a dfhack  program that could help you with your problem, look it up under forced marriage.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, any dwarven eugenics programs can wait now that the graduations are finally starting and there's a lot of micromanaging to do. Next graduate is Id Touresteemed, notable for slaying the hydra Nuspu Spittleknight the Wastes of Control at the tender age of ten. Like Kogan earlier, he too is one of the migrant children and has less training than the fortress-born children will have once they graduate in few years.

Id:

His final grades:

His attributes:

Like Kogan, Id is also on the upper limit of dwarven stature with his 94 290 cubic centimeters of volume. In addition of Nuspu the hydra he has killed five crundles, one troglodyte and one blind cave ogre.

Uhhh... welcome?

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Next graduate is Ral 'Big Ral' Coalrider, famous from an earlier post noting her superdwarven size. Her volume at the moment of graduation is freakish 123 520 cubic centimeters and I suspect she will continue to grow during military training since her strength isn't even maxed out yet.

This is Big Ral:

For some reason she seems immune to normal desensitization training but luckily seeing death doesn't seem to stress her as much as others.

Her grades:

Her attributes:

She has only one crundle kill on her name; I suspect she's not as fast as others due to her size.

In other news, the basic training room has reached its maximum capacity as the students have started injuring themselves by crashing into each other. I'll have to give a bit more thought on rotating training rooms to avoid further accidents. I didn't really expect to have 63 children to train in a fort of bit over 150 dwarves; it's like .40.07 all over again.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 09:41:53 am by Staalo »

Uhhh... welcome?

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

In an attempt to train Armor user faster I whipped up a quick coinstar room using all those useless seeds from the stockpile. I should have researched that one better; the effect from high velocity flying seeds was almost like standing in front of a shotgun blast. Turns out leather clothing isn't quite enough to stop a projectile with even the tiniest mass, like a single seed.

Three students are now hospitalized because of the incident. One student even got a parsnip seed straight through her heart; she got better.

Uhhh... welcome?

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

One student even got a parsnip seed straight through her heart; she got better.
I don't know what I find more astonishing: this quote or the fact there were no fatalities in a coinstar room with ill-prepared inhabitants. Skulls can cave in from seeds obeying gravity.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't know what I find more astonishing: this quote or the fact there were no fatalities in a coinstar room with ill-prepared inhabitants. Skulls can cave in from seeds obeying gravity.

I wouldn't exactly call them ill-prepared; all of them had Armor User levels from Master to Grand Master and were generally made from tougher stuff than your average Urist. But still, they were probably very lucky. From now on I'll keep my overconfidence in check.

I later had a better look at the combat logs and noticed that all three hospitalized cases had their injuries from crashing into each other and breaking their bones. Seeds mostly just bruised fat and muscle, with the exception of that one supersonic parsnip seed. She didn't even bother going to the hospital with such a minor injury.

Uhhh... welcome?

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

In an attempt to train Armor user faster I whipped up a quick coinstar room using all those useless seeds from the stockpile. I should have researched that one better; the effect from high velocity flying seeds was almost like standing in front of a shotgun blast. Turns out leather clothing isn't quite enough to stop a projectile with even the tiniest mass, like a single seed.

Three students are now hospitalized because of the incident. One student even got a parsnip seed straight through her heart; she got better.

Coins in coinstar has been fixed in terms of those 1 Coin that passes thru no longer procs exp. 
IIRC, seeds uses the stats from the plant themselves and are more dense and damaging then anticipated.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

that one supersonic parsnip seed. She didn't even bother going to the hospital with such a minor injury.
Now that's an important detail that tips the astonishment scale squarely to your student.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

IIRC, seeds uses the stats from the plant themselves and are more dense and damaging then anticipated.

I shudder to think what would have happened if my dwarves had been eating things like watermelons or pumpkins instead of carrots and rye...

Back in the original training room, the children continue to grow. I have been monitoring their progress and it indeed appears that the students are growing quite a bit bigger on average than ordinary dwarves with comparable attributes. Even militia veterans with bulging muscles and maxed out attributes are, er, dwarfed by students who have maxed their stats in the early childhood. This got me thinking.

Could child growth calculation take physical attributes into account? The wiki doesn't mention it but it would make very much sense. If that's true then boosting those attributes as early as possible would give permanent benefit for a dwarf as body volume dictates many things in the game.

If only I could test this with two identical babies... is there any way to trigger a twin birth with dfhack?

Uhhh... welcome?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile

Maybe with a combination of dfusion and gm-editor. Let me check really quick.

Sorry, I think it's randomly chosen when a creature gives birth. Could you duplicate the effect by causing two pregnancies via dfusion in quick succession?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile

Just use a base and extra baby (holy shit that got dark suddenly) who you edit into a match of the first one.

Isngrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hey Staalo, have you ever tried individual rooms for the children?

i am planning having individual rooms with furniture of the children's preferred materials to increase the good thoughts
08:43 PM The wild animals and insects sang a merry tune and the trees performed a dance. I know you're trying to cheer me up, Vishnu, but that was actually a bit creepy.-Rhons
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 62