Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 62

Author Topic: Dwarven Child Care [Reboot] (Werezombie Cloning Tech (What in Armok's name?!))  (Read 204802 times)

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Child Care [Reboot] (Werezombie Cloning Tech (What in Armok's name?!))
« Reply #765 on: September 20, 2015, 04:57:07 am »

That's also a possibility but I'd rather keep most of the graduates alive. In Searingmine two thirds of them were killed I uncorked the Fun stuff and that's a bit tough price to pay for few minutes of entertainment. Of course, I made some bad decisions back then and Copperfell graduates are even tougher and more fully trained than those in Searingmine were.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Child Care [Reboot] (Werezombie Cloning Tech (What in Armok's name?!))
« Reply #766 on: September 21, 2015, 04:04:37 pm »

I ment to copy the save and open the HFS on one of them while taking graduates into a new fort on the other one.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: September 22, 2015, 01:47:10 am »

I ment to copy the save and open the HFS on one of them while taking graduates into a new fort on the other one.

Ohhh... sure, I can do that. I'll even make the save available for anyone interested.

Another largish siege (74 trolls and gobbos) came in less than a year after the last one, and there was was much rejoicing. This time the autumn caravan trundled on the map during corpse cleanup, so I had to cheat a bit and used dfhack autodump to move the offending bits to a safe location. My household necromancer will be very busy with them for a while.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 04:14:59 am by Staalo »

Uhhh... welcome?

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: September 25, 2015, 07:20:10 am »

After one year the school is still fully supplied with guest lecturers from those last two sieges. The students still won't touch live invaders but after killing and zombifying they'll attack on sight. I suspect it's hardcoded civilian behavior to run from any invader enemy except when enraged.

Ligir Paddedholds, the resident necromancer, has had to pull so much overtime to reanimate all those hundreds of goblin, human and troll bits that I suspect she's had some brain damage from excess arcane energies. It always seems to take about two game days before she notices the fresh (or not so fresh) raw material in front of her and does her magic. Luckily when she's up to it she'll transform a whole roomful of corpses at once.

Training goes on and kill counts continue to soar, thanks to the bounty of undead lecturers. Those two sieges were a real treasure. Zombies - the other goblinite.

Uhhh... welcome?

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: September 27, 2015, 03:26:27 am »

So you've managed to give a necromancer post-traumatic stress. Well, that's new.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: September 27, 2015, 03:46:38 am »

Well, there's only one of her and about seventy children screaming for more things to kill. No wonder she's been under a great deal of stress lately. Next time I'm going to embark in a reanimating biome if I'm planning to do this kind of stuff again.

In other news, I locked Big Ral and Immense Ďteb into a tiny love shack where they can... get to know each other a bit better (cue slimy saxophone music). I took only about two months for them to get from "Friendly terms" to "Lover"; now I'm only waiting for their marriage announcement.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 04:44:40 am by Staalo »

Uhhh... welcome?

Atarlost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: September 27, 2015, 02:54:08 pm »

I suspect there may be potential in trolls.  A couple days ago a wild troll in the caverns encountered a mechanic, who proceeded to beat on it until first it and then he collapsed of exhaustion.  Then I sent soldiers to kill it in case it woke up first because legendary+5 mechanics don't grow on trees. 

Nameless wild trolls seem to be incredibly ineffectual combatants but regenerate quickly.  That it learns doesn't matter much when it's unconscious and if it didn't come with a siege civilians seem to be willing to attack it.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: September 27, 2015, 03:38:50 pm »

Normal wild trolls won't actually last more than few seconds but as reanimated corpses they're wonderful opponents. A zombie troll can withstand an impressive amount of punishment and will prove some real danger to students before someone eventually punches its head off. One of them even managed to kill a student before I realized that due to dogpiling effect dwarves will ignore subsequent enemies if there's already a zombie in the room.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 04:04:53 pm by Staalo »

Uhhh... welcome?

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hmmm... I suspect the next game version will again throw a lot of earlier child care methods out of the window. Toys for children? Inconceivable!

Uhhh... welcome?

Omniao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Question: Wouldn't it bee a good idea to turn the "trained" children into vampires by giving them a mug of poisoned water once they "graduate"? (Or become thirteen/twelve years of age?)
Or better yet, transform them all into Were-Vamps. (Excellent  regen, almost infinite willpower, no food or  drink needed to live,  no doctors needed.)
Then, take all of your cursed hyper-soldiers and burrow them in a small "garage" with a hatch on the top. (use Walls of metal, a retracting bridge acting as a door.)
You need this garage to be separate from your fortress so that the soldiers don't feed on or kill any of your "working class". (or uncursed dwarfs.)
 You can drop unconscious caged animals into the garage for feeding.
If a siege occurs, board up your main fortress and release your ultimate, immortal race upon those who dare to come close to your awesome fortress.

But, if you want, you could just skip all of these details and exterminate your "working class" and replace it with your neo-dwarfven race.   
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 11:57:43 am by Omniao »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile

You can't have werebeast vampires. Both interactions make you immune to the other.

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hmmm... I suspect the next game version will again throw a lot of earlier child care methods out of the window. Toys for children? Inconceivable!

You say toys, I say "small projectiles for coinstar-esque training".

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile

You know.

We've figured out how to generate worlds with tons of towers. Even with just six neighboring me I was getting sieges of 40 zombies in the first year, with twenty or thirty consistently each year, occasionally spikes of 60 or even 80 at a time with multiple necromancers.

Limul was a hyperbuffed adventurer, well, originally she was one of the dorfs I started training when the first 40 zombie siege showed up and sat around for a year. Then they left for no reason and the next year 30 showed up so I took control of her and went to kill some zombies, brought her home after she was all maxed out on buffing items, and then decided to have her replace my military. The first time she jumped into a pile of zombies I was nervous, the 5th or 6th time I just took pictures and laughed at the flying body parts and toothsplosions.

My point though:

You want zombie training subjects and necromancers?

Raise civs to like 150 or 200 on a 33x33 world, raise secrets higher than 20 as it's just a cap, I think I use 66 or something, then play around with other parameters as you like, you'll get a bunch of death gods and thus tons of tower neighbors to play with.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You say toys, I say "small projectiles for coinstar-esque training".

I already have a coinstar room filled with teeth and seeds; I found it a bit too dangerous for even the toughest students to use. I shudder to think what kind of damage a flying +lead mini-forge+ would do.

You want zombie training subjects and necromancers?

Raise civs to like 150 or 200 on a 33x33 world, raise secrets higher than 20 as it's just a cap, I think I use 66 or something, then play around with other parameters as you like, you'll get a bunch of death gods and thus tons of tower neighbors to play with.

That's sort of what I've done in this world. I think it was genned with civ cap at 100 and secret cap at maximum (1000) and there are enough towers to have at least one in range for most embark locations. I think Copperfell has already emptied the local tower since there haven't been undead sieges in years.

However, I think invader undead are handled the same way as regular invaders in the sense that civilians will run from them instead of fighting. Killing invaders and then zombifiying them (again) somehow makes them ok to fight.

Uhhh... welcome?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile

Yeah, secrets don't matter as much apparently, an anon over in the /dfg/ thread worked that out, just total civs. I'm pretty sure civilians will swarm any undead, regardless of the source, it happens all the time in adventurer mode at least, everyone instantly goes to no quarter and if you help they show up as your ally.
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 62