Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 62

Author Topic: Dwarven Child Care [Reboot] (Werezombie Cloning Tech (What in Armok's name?!))  (Read 204884 times)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile

This thread is my... Amour(k)?

:V
*Puts on pun-resistant Armor(k)*
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile

So how about them libraries? Can children read? What are our ideal dwarven values? Should we instead turn them into mindless killing machines who care nothing for peace, friendship, family, and leisure? -50 Nature goes without saying.

I'm kind of torn on anger propensity. On one hand, it's extremely dorfy to have them be extremely unstable, rage-prone berserkers. On the other hand, it's not beneficial to the perfect solider. Decisions, decisions. Maybe we should encourage those already inclined, and put them in their own special squad: The A(rmok) Team?

I have been working more on "happy productive citizens with superpowers" angle with my forts. Military applications are only a bonus.

Now that the new version is out it looks like implementing Dwarven Child Care would again be fresh and interesting. With children acting more like children will it be like Caillou or more like Lord of the Flies? I'm suspecting the latter based on what I saw during my first adventuring session.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 07:16:39 am by Staalo »
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile

I have been working more on "happy productive citizens with superpowers" angle with my forts. Military applications are only a bonus.

Now that the new version is out it looks like implementing Dwarven Child Care would again be fresh and interesting. With children acting more like children will it be like Caillou or more like Lord of the Flies? I'm suspecting the latter based on what I saw during my first adventuring session.
A -«+wooden menacing spike+»- sharpened at both ends. It menaces with pig's head. On the object is an image of a dwarf and conch. The dwarf is holding the conch.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 08:26:04 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Isngrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A -«+wooden menacing spike+»- sharpened at both ends. It menaces with pig's head. On the object is an image of a dwarf and conch. The dwarf is holding the conch.
i rarely ever sig people...but.....

08:43 PM The wild animals and insects sang a merry tune and the trees performed a dance. I know you're trying to cheer me up, Vishnu, but that was actually a bit creepy.-Rhons

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile

With children acting more like children will it be like Caillou or more like Lord of the Flies?
I find Caillou far more irritating than Samneric.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh hey, .40.xx saves work in .42.xx! I loaded Copperfell in .42.02 and it works without hiccups, and more importantly without constant crashing. I could continue the project without starting over if I can tolerate the missing music and poetry.

The kids are playing make believe in the danger room. That's all good, I might even dump a load of toys in there later on and see what happens. I secretly hope the students will find a way to use them as weapons.

I'm somewhat worried about the effects of unfulfilled needs and focus though, not to speak of all the added emotional stuff. Will the students go all "S-senpai noticed me!" next time I drop a zombie ogre among them?

Uhhh... welcome?

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I try to play the Copperfell save every now and then, despite how frustrating it is with all the missing .42.xx goodies. Even recent graduates seem to sense it and would rather play make believe with their younger siblings than spar with militia veterans. I thought all this... child stuff would stop when they reach adulthood.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 02:27:50 pm by Staalo »

Uhhh... welcome?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile

It does, as soon as they take their first job. Let them haul something and it'll stop.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

dwarven coming of age:
"pick up that rock"
"ok"
"YOURE A MAN NOW"

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Bwint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

dwarven coming of age:
"pick up that rock"
"ok"
"YOURE A MAN NOW"

Well, the children in question have spent a decade dodging stakes and punching zombies to death. At this point the "rite of passage" is just a formality.

Mind if I sig this?
'There are some things mortals are not meant to know, but we were bored and drunk at the time so we gecided to leave details of those forbidden arts in the library for a laugh.'

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hmmm. New version. To abandon Lancedweakened or... nah screw it, I'm abandoning Lancedweakened.

The last age and a half with the fort has been meticulous planning for a new, deeper fort to completely replace the current one, childcare and all, so I may as well just use the same design and start a new fort in the new version.

The central premise of this new fort will be to force all dwarves to take a short swim each time they move from their bedrooms to their workshops. The main purpose of this is to train babies in swimming, thus increasing their stats and possibly achieving growth more extreme than what Staalo has already achieved, due to stats maxing out earlier. And there will of course be 10 spears per floor tile in the childcare, which will also sport a longer bridge of spikes, again in the interest of maxing out stats earlier.

The system I have worked out involves simply having multiple length 20 bridges leading from each block of apartments to the workshop area. a pressure plate on the apartment side ensures that any dwarf crossing a bridge from that side will drop into the depth 4 water and learn a little bit of swimming.

That's what's relevant to the Childcare project, but in addition the new fort will have a far more efficient workshop layout and possibly look pretty enough to be called a megaproject. But finding the right spot and copying the designations over will take quite a long time, not to mention setting up a temporary fort and mining operations, so expect silence from me for a while.
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The central premise of this new fort will be to force all dwarves to take a short swim each time they move from their bedrooms to their workshops. The main purpose of this is to train babies in swimming, thus increasing their stats and possibly achieving growth more extreme than what Staalo has already achieved, due to stats maxing out earlier.

Sorry to disappoint you, but it looks like babies can't learn Swimming yet. See an earlier experiment on the same thing:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=140588.msg6149082;topicseen#msg6149082

Uhhh... welcome?

TBeholder

• Bay Watcher
  • the shade of something you remembered to forget
    • View Profile

The central premise of this new fort will be to force all dwarves to take a short swim each time they move from their bedrooms to their workshops. The main purpose of this is to train babies in swimming, thus increasing their stats and possibly achieving growth more extreme than what Staalo has already achieved, due to stats maxing out earlier.
Minus "babies" part, it's pretty much Decontamination Chamber, which if implemented well, is a Good Idea. Just with a little more splash.
Not too hard, even - if the shower is plate activated, a floodgate on very short delay under the floor grate could do the job.
Nafferton said: “See me chase that boy till he drops!” I said: “You can’t get your knife into an Assistant Commissioner.” Nafferton told me that I did not understand the administration of the Province.
- "Pig"

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Awwww that's disappointing. Ah well. The compulsory baths will be good for the rest of the fort anyway, will prevent graduates' swimming skills from rusting, and will encourage general hygiene. It's a damn shame about the babies not learning skills though. Thanks for letting me know Staalo!

Did anyone ever find out if receiving injuries trained a dwarf in toughness and endurance? I did discover that injuries cause a dwarf to get "doesn't care about anything anymore" is there are enough of them or if the ones there are are major enough. I think I put that in either this thread or the trivial findings thread, can't remember which. I still haven't given up on subjecting babies to the training. The setup I described could easily be changed to include a 2z rather than 1z drop to give the babies light injuries. >:3
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID

Here's an idea that may or may not work. It probably won't. If you dig a 7x7 square and put the trade depot in it, then seal the opening with a raising bridge, and then surround the depot with fortifications. If you forced babies in the tile between the wall and the fortifications then massacred the elves who came to trade (Raise bridge, initiate murder) would they gradually become hardened to that?
Spoiler: 'old' (click to show/hide)
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 62