Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 62

Author Topic: Dwarven Child Care [Reboot] (Werezombie Cloning Tech (What in Armok's name?!))  (Read 204846 times)

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile

Many students seem to have completely lost their interest in schoolwork after .42.03. It looks like they'd rather die of thirst playing make believe than go back into the classroom. I have no choice but release them on an extended special vacation and concentrate on military schooling for graduates.

I suspect something has broken the burrow restriction code, or maybe the civilian pathing into burrows.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Still playing the Copperfell save on fast forward, only taking care of graduate training and yearly goblin sieges. Latest invader force of 99 goblins and trolls was again totally devastated by the graduate squads, with 82 invaders dead and 7 captured.

On dwarven side casualties were limited to one wounded; this was again Big Ral who got her skull fractured three times by a goblin lasher. I suspect her stature makes her slower and easier to hit than other graduates since she's always the only one who gets bruised in these scuffles. Still, I'm impressed that she managed to keep her brains inside her skull despite three whacks from an armor-piercing iron whip.

Remaining fifty-one students still refuse to obey burrow restrictions. In fact, they all seem to have decided to spend the rest of their childhood in the finished goods stockpile playing with the toys stored in the bins. They only leave for food, drink or sleep and mostly return to the exact same position.

Uhhh... welcome?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

Have you tried making a toy stockpile without bins? Maybe they're bugged, just like tool stockpile bins, seed, leaves(in bags) and mill stockpile barrels.
Just out of precaution, I made my toy stockpile bin-less. I see my kids taking and bringing toys there all the time. Do your kids actually take toys from bins?

Also, see if your kids snap out of their behaviour when you install doors to that stockpile area, and lock them when a kid leaves.
I need to do that to get polytheist military snapped out of ever repeating worship! jobs after I undesignate a temple from under their feet. Military don't obey burrows either. If such a military leaves his spot for drink or sleep, he will return to that same no longer existing temple afterwards with a worship! job. But if I lock the doors to that temple after he goes for a drink or sleep, he will snap out of it and be ready to go back to duty (or be sent to another temple to pray to the next deity). Looks like the job gets stuck in the dwarf's to-do memory, and is deleted from there when pathfinding fails.

You never know if it works for your kids as well.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 10:28:39 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No, I tried couple of different schemes but the children are stuck playing, either with toys or without them. They're all Legendary in every relevant skill anyway so I just ignore them and concentrate on military and professional training for graduates.

As earlier, each graduate gets a professional skill to train after the military school. For Mörul Gloriesspear the chosen profession was Hunter. I was hoping he'd gradually build up to Legendary Ambusher but his preferred method of hunting seems to be to Leeroy Jenkins into a herd of bugbats or badgers and beat any stragglers to death barehanded. Ah well, at least he's bringing meat to the table.

Uhhh... welcome?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile

Vault-Tec could learn a thing or two from the Dwarven Child Care thread.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile

This sounds like a very handy thing to have in a Terrifying biome. Should this come to fruition, and we can train all children into uncaring, sword-wielding, everything-climbing, swimming Supah Soldierstm then I think this should be on the wiki. Totally not an exploit at that point :P
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

ImACatNamedGloves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hey guys, keep this thread active! I don't want it to disappear. I think this has potential, as I read the entire old thread a long time ago!

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile

I think the main reason this topic has become inactive is that we've pretty much figured it out. Separate necessities out into areas only reachable with a bridge of repeating training spears over water. Put in children. Maybe add a hospital just in case.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think the main reason this topic has become inactive is that we've pretty much figured it out. Separate necessities out into areas only reachable with a bridge of repeating training spears over water. Put in children. Maybe add a hospital just in case.

...and have them fight monsters and zombies barehanded for a decade once they toughen up a bit. A well-rounded education really helps later in life.

In the current version there seems to be a bug regarding playing children and burrows, but once that's settled out all the recent child care methods in this thread should work in .42.xx.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 02:52:10 pm by Staalo »

Uhhh... welcome?

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile

Just going to PTW this.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Bah. Those nerfed zombies of .42.05 will make training with undead very tedious. They barely lasted few seconds before this but now they'll be almost worthless. I predict a manyfold increase to Required Kills Before Legendary (RKBL) ratio; lets just hope .42.05 sieges will be plentiful.

It could still be workable to build the advanced training room on reanimating ground. Then simply dump all potentially zombifiable material into it and let the students mash it until it no longer reanimates. That way it also works as a safe disposal method in evil biomes.

Uhhh... welcome?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile

The sieges seem to only be limited by how high you set your invader cap, how much your computer can handle, and how many you can catch. I recommend some kind of system to lure the whole invading force in, after which you shut the door behind them so nobody can retreat.

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Bah. Those nerfed zombies of .42.05 will make training with undead very tedious. They barely lasted few seconds before this but now they'll be almost worthless. I predict a manyfold increase to Required Kills Before Legendary (RKBL) ratio; lets just hope .42.05 sieges will be plentiful.

It could still be workable to build the advanced training room on reanimating ground. Then simply dump all potentially zombifiable material into it and let the students mash it until it no longer reanimates. That way it also works as a safe disposal method in evil biomes.
Dwarf Fortress: where rabid schoolchildren are a safe and practical biological hazard disposal system.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile

Dwarf Fortress: where rabid schoolchildren are a safe and practical biological hazard disposal system.

Rabid? Of course not! Zombie-mashing is a healthy, progressive pastime fit for any dwarven toddler.

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Potato, potatoh.
Rabid, dwarven.
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 62