Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can dwarves have both ranged and melee weapons?  (Read 2529 times)

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can dwarves have both ranged and melee weapons?
« on: July 13, 2014, 01:59:48 pm »

Can I give my dwarves both crossbows and spears? Will they drop the crossbow and fight with the spear when in close range, or will they instead try to clobber with their crossbows?
Feeling down? Click Here!

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can dwarves have both ranged and melee weapons?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 02:13:55 pm »

No. They'll pick one or the other, but never both.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 07:54:34 pm »

That sucks. Toady had a warrior alternating melee weapons on him during testing once. I had hoped that would mean the sidearm situation had been solved.

Codyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 10:30:11 pm »

Yes they can actually (at least in v34) but it seems to depend on chance whether they care to use it or not.

You have to make sure when you assign weapons to your dwarves to have your shield and melee weapon at the top first. Then a crossbow after those two. So your marksdwarves would be able to still shoot from afar and luck willing they will use a sword or whatever in close quarters.

Kishmond

• Bay Watcher
  • What the pfargtl?
    • View Profile
    • My DF Stories blog.
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 12:04:40 am »

I should try this in adventure mode. That would be fun. I'd be like... I dunno. Who's a famous character that uses a ranged and melee weapon?

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 12:47:52 am »

I remember reading a story on these forums about a squad of dwarves armed with spears and crossbows. They were supposed to use the crossbow to soften the enemy up and then finish it off with the spears. What happened instead they stabbed the goblins with the spears then when they were unconsious finished them off with a bolt to the head.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 04:54:57 am »

Even though dwarves cannot both wield ranged and melee at the same time, they will use their crossbow to bash stuff if the situation requires it (they have no ammo and are drawn ito melee before they can get to an ammo supply).

Last I know (unless that has changed), it uses hammerdwarf skill. I think crossbow dwarves will even train hammer skill when you set them to spar in a barracks rather than shoot at the archery range.
I remember a topic arguing that crossbows are in fact better at hammering than warhammers, because of the smaller contact area. Then again, that could have changed now.

So you know what to do. Silver crossbows. I think that's the heaviest available metal for them.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2014, 08:08:18 am »

Yep, crossbows use hammerdwarf for melee.

I should try this in adventure mode. That would be fun. I'd be like... I dunno. Who's a famous character that uses a ranged and melee weapon?

Robin Hood might come into thought, depending on the version. Elves from LotR. Faramir from LotR. Usually, the more badass characters do that in fantasy stories.
Also, in adventure mode it gets even easier. You can hold 2 weapons and a shield easy. Just watch out for the reload time with crossbows, it might leave you exposed.

As for dwarf mode, dwarves can only have one weapon/shield in each hand, so foregoing defence, I think you could make them use both weapons, but in the end, I think they'll just shoot bolts OR melee, but not both (unless they melee with the crossbow after running out of bolts).
Then there's the problem that even with weapons, creatures seem to be preferring unarmed combat, at least if there's no weapon skill difference. So expect to see kicks/punches/bites even when they have a spear and a crossbow. (Don't do spear and crossbow, by the way, both do piercing damage, it's better to give them a sword, then they'll be able to do slashing [sword], piercing [bolt] and blunt [crossbow melee].)
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2014, 12:25:40 pm »

In Adventurer mode, you can equip a ranged weapon in your main hand and melee weapon(s) in your other and, as I recall, it mostly works (if the ranged weapon is in the wrong hand, you won't be able to fire it). Of course, getting that set up in Fortress mode tends not to be doable.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.