Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 85

Author Topic: LIMBO:Testing more stuff  (Read 101540 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: LIMBO:Testing more stuff
« Reply #1125 on: November 25, 2015, 11:40:32 am »

Determine number and location of external airlocks on our ship.
There's only one that technically counts as an airlock. The one you came in through, ie blew up. The main cargobay door isn't designed to be opened in vacuum. Or whatever is outside.

Work on the QEC. Send both plain text messages and encoded ones. Try to come up with a way to decode the response.
E: Actually, let's try applying Mad Hatter distortion algorithms on the messages as well.

You're barely getting any reactions from the thing now. It seems that even spooky connections don't work well here.

"Agreed, Maurice see about leaving some sort of trail in case we are being searched for we were unconscious for gods know how long and there may be people looking for us, or simply other ships that were caught in this looking for a way out."
Return to old heading, full steam ahead. Is this ship max speed 10 acceleration 1 like M25? In between maneuvers set up a computer program to model our coordinate system on the solar-system by placing the reference point I slapped down earlier around the planet. To determine minimum distance check if the suit has a Mission Elapsed Time and use that and the ship's speed when exiting orbit. Using all this data and the initial launch footage determine a rough several points we could have started at, then determine where the jump point is in our coordinate system and go to it. Finally yell at someone to check our supplies (food,water,air,fuel).
This ship is jump capable. It accelerates at .5 but can reach 25.

According the the reference point you slapped down somewhere near the starting planet, you're at -5, -3 You guess thats a pretty good estimation for the distance from the original planet, maybe 1 off.

You have food and water enough for maybe a couple months, if carefully rationed.

"I'd say that our initial course was, indeed, the best possible, but you are right, we need to check how much time elapsed and where we could have been heading."

"Breadcrumbs you say... we'd need to rig radio buoys for that, since we cannot just leave stuff levitating in space and expect it to be found. Hmmm. Anyway, just in case, Ulrich, check out the QEC once again. If it's garbled again, see if you can ungarble the data, maybe think of a way to rig a simple modem on top of QEC transmission."

"'But yeah', I guess."
He chuckled in reply to Pancaek, then fixed his gaze on the guest. "...I believe we have just the perfect job for you, Commissar. Bring our visitor up on the current situation; crew quarters, if I may so suggest. It's a little crowded here at the moment."

:Han, please perform a check-up on our guest in the crew quarters. See if everything is okay.:

Quote from: Maurice->Pancaek
Question and confirm identity; you should have better memory of all ARM recruits, in case she is one.
It appears to be a person of flesh and blood, not an apparition, but that makes the pistol in her hand all the more dangerous. If there is a fight... try to minimize collateral damage. I'll have your team meet you there.

Quote from: Maurice -> Team II
(Konrad, stay on the bridge.)
Listen up, we have a guest. TL Pancaek is leading her to crew quarters for questioning, so I want you to be there just in case things go funny. Note that she might be an ARM member, and might have an amp, so plan accordingly.
Don't blow up the ship.

'Think about' "breadcrumbs" design. (Mind, GenKn please; no Intu.)
Is radio buoy approach the optimal here, what other ways could we do it, realistically?
Can we make several radio buoys from what we have on the ship? Without sacrificing our suits, preferably.
Do we have anything useful stowed in the cargo? (Pertaining to this problem specifically; not collapsing the wavefunction yet, thank you.)

Radio bouys can be done but...well you don't have the supplies to make many. And even then you're stripping components from the ship. There's nothing in the cargo hold, remember.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: November 25, 2015, 11:50:58 am »

"QEC seems totally gone to the happy land now. I could try to mess around with it and see if I can make it connect anything, but most likely I will just break it."

See if I can do anything about the airlock. Could I make a temporary airlock that won't leak our entire atmosphere outside everytime when used? Not building anything yet, just checking possibilities.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: November 25, 2015, 03:56:28 pm »

Using our reference system and pre-eldritchabomination charts determine the rough jump point coordinates and head there full steam ahead after calculations. Double check the co-ords  by using the distance in the pre-abomination charts and comparing to ours if I can further optimize our map with this information then do so.

So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

swordsmith04

• Bay Watcher
  • Communist Gnome
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: November 25, 2015, 07:28:38 pm »

Xael offered us Bluesmokes a couple of turns ago. Can we say I took a few and am currently smoking one? Not for the Intuition bonus, just the emotion-killing part.

Head to the crew quarters and pick through whatever personal possessions the ship's crew left behind, if any. I'm looking for e-readers, data tablets, and such.
Be sitting/standing/whatever near enough to hear Pancaek and Xael talking, while I'm looking through the datapads and dictionary program/sitting and smoking the Bluesmoke with nothing to do.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: November 26, 2015, 03:07:58 am »

Find some sort of table and a chair, set them up in the cargo bay.
Find unattended items and collect them all.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: November 26, 2015, 07:41:02 am »

Okay, time for new plan. We can't go at breakneck speed at the risk of something Unexpectedly appearing in our path, can we?

First thing first. How far out was that 'unknown body' first detected? If we have been proceeding at full speed (have we been?), would we have evaded it? What if we moved more slowly? Think this over.

Second, what is the supposed detection range on our radar (or whatever), and does it appear any different in these 'blackwaters'? Can we boost it with materials on hand?

Third, based on the previous question, is the comms range affected in any way by being in blackwaters? In space, it should be theoretically unlimited (Edit: almost; for intents and purposes of this mission, at least), if I understand it correctly (apart from the delay issue), but here physics might be different.

Oh, and - are stasis pods functional? We are probably going to start using them soon, along with food rationing, so please let's not advance the time too far yet.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 09:20:23 am by Nikitian »
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1131 on: November 26, 2015, 09:09:49 am »

In space, it should be theoretically unlimited
Do note that the signal strength will diminish the father it travels because it becomes more "spread out", so it's not really infinite. Unless you're using Simus' antenna. And no, that wasn't an innuendo.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: November 26, 2015, 09:18:33 am »

((Yeah, that too, of course. I mostly meant that "as opposed to the same signal being broadcast through a dense (significantly denser than vacuum) medium, or outright stopped at certain distance by weird alien physics ( ~M6,etc)". I'll change the wording a bit.))
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: November 26, 2015, 08:28:38 pm »

Be on the ship, still somewhat in shock.

Han stretches as he floats through the crew quarters. He was still surprised they weren't dead, but he just supposed he was going to have to get used to not knowing what was going on.

((So I just noticed this. Oops.))
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: November 27, 2015, 12:03:28 am »

Drink that beer! Drink that beer!
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1135 on: December 03, 2015, 12:54:11 pm »

"QEC seems totally gone to the happy land now. I could try to mess around with it and see if I can make it connect anything, but most likely I will just break it."

See if I can do anything about the airlock. Could I make a temporary airlock that won't leak our entire atmosphere outside everytime when used? Not building anything yet, just checking possibilities.
It's possible. Basically you'd have to build a new door on the inner side and then go through it and break open the outside to repair it. Better hope a cobbled together door is...void proof. And that you don't melt outside.

Using our reference system and pre-eldritchabomination charts determine the rough jump point coordinates and head there full steam ahead after calculations. Double check the co-ords  by using the distance in the pre-abomination charts and comparing to ours if I can further optimize our map with this information then do so.

I'm gonna let you know that plotting the course is a mind roll. And you won't know if you got it wrong until you end up 100,000 miles off course and drifting into the sun. So the plotter, so to speak, should probably have pretty good Mind.

Xael offered us Bluesmokes a couple of turns ago. Can we say I took a few and am currently smoking one? Not for the Intuition bonus, just the emotion-killing part.

Head to the crew quarters and pick through whatever personal possessions the ship's crew left behind, if any. I'm looking for e-readers, data tablets, and such.
Be sitting/standing/whatever near enough to hear Pancaek and Xael talking, while I'm looking through the datapads and dictionary program/sitting and smoking the Bluesmoke with nothing to do.

Sure! Kill those emotions to your hearts...um...well not content because thats an emotion....um

The personal belongings are rather scant in the crew room, a seemingly broken data pad and an alarm clock. Clearly the occupants didn't leave much on their way out, aside from the general furniture and such that came with the room. However the little tv room has a supply of movies and a datapad with a large library on it.

Be on the ship, still somewhat in shock.

Han stretches as he floats through the crew quarters. He was still surprised they weren't dead, but he just supposed he was going to have to get used to not knowing what was going on.

((So I just noticed this. Oops.))
Shock

Drink that beer! Drink that beer!
GLUG GLUG GLUG! GLUG GLUG GLUG!

Okay, time for new plan. We can't go at breakneck speed at the risk of something Unexpectedly appearing in our path, can we?

First thing first. How far out was that 'unknown body' first detected? If we have been proceeding at full speed (have we been?), would we have evaded it? What if we moved more slowly? Think this over.

Second, what is the supposed detection range on our radar (or whatever), and does it appear any different in these 'blackwaters'? Can we boost it with materials on hand?

Third, based on the previous question, is the comms range affected in any way by being in blackwaters? In space, it should be theoretically unlimited (Edit: almost; for intents and purposes of this mission, at least), if I understand it correctly (apart from the delay issue), but here physics might be different.

Oh, and - are stasis pods functional? We are probably going to start using them soon, along with food rationing, so please let's not advance the time too far yet.

Well, it might be a bit dangerous, yeah.

If you were going at full speed? No. Would have slammed right into it. But the full speed of this thing is quite fast, it just takes a long time to get up to it.

The detection range is unknown. I mean, we know it for that one thing that just came at us, but we have no comparison. It could be variable.  As per boosting it, you could probably make it more powerful but that won't matter if there's some hard limit to detection like in the Samsonite abyss.

Dunno. Who can you talk with to see? Steve ain't responding.

They are. At least they seem so.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: December 03, 2015, 04:19:58 pm »

"Doctor, the unknown person is pretty unresponsive. It looks like trooper Xael as far as I can tell though. I advise some caution, but otherwise it seems pretty safe. Is there anything else I can help with?"

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: December 03, 2015, 04:35:15 pm »

"Huh? Uh, I was just thinking. So anyway, I have no idea why I'm here, and it doesn't really matter why you're here, so whatever."
Xael resumes smoking after having done nothing for an hour like nothing happened.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: December 03, 2015, 04:40:59 pm »

"Pancaek! I need you and Maurice to map some things in here."
Give Pancaek and Maurice necessary materials for mapping once they get here. Once they give me the completed map begin acceleration towards the jump point continue accelerating until something interesting happens or we reach the maximum speed at which we can avoid obstacles.
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: December 03, 2015, 04:47:57 pm »

Locate a spot for my airlock, gather materials for it (deconstruct some useless things if necessary) and start building it. ((Remembering my handiwork is -2 it might be better to not build anything...))
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 85