Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Changes to Mining?  (Read 5219 times)

Extreme Boyheat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Changes to Mining?
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2014, 04:57:25 am »

But magnetite throne rooms sound so cool. :P

Chelicerate

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2014, 06:26:07 am »

You can still build floors and walls of magnetite rock, if you so wish.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2014, 08:52:57 am »

But you can't engrave it.

Sorg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • EnglishWithCoffee
Re: Change to Mining?
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2014, 09:04:16 am »

Expanding on the comment above, I wonder how casting obsidian on dirt will work now?
I did a quick ‼SCIENCE‼ (flooding the half of embark with magma and burning the other half in process :P ) and found out that casting obsidian over dirt (or stone) and then digging it doesn't work.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 09:34:57 am by Sorg »
Intelligent is a strong word to use around DF.
you're lucky it wasn't an adventurer.  I've heard they can bash your skull in by throwing water at you.  UNDERWATER

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2014, 09:05:31 am »

So get the iron out of the magnetite and make iron block flooring? Or steel......
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

gunpowdertea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2014, 10:28:59 am »

Expanding on the comment above, I wonder how casting obsidian on dirt will work now?
I did a quick ‼SCIENCE‼ (flooding the half of embark with magma and burning the other half in process :P ) and found out that casting obsidian over dirt (or stone) and then digging it doesn't work.

Is that even when only mining the top obsidian layer and leaving the lower one intact? That is assuming you did cast more than one layer...
I don't care. I have discovered that if you spawn elves this way, cats will chase them down and eat them.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2014, 10:49:10 am »

At least marble is still a layerstone. Obsidian can be as well, near volcanos.
I guess it is ok for gems and even ores that they get mined out properly, but why normal stone that just isn't layerstone? So when I mine out bauxite I should get bauxite floor.
Stone generates in two types, vein and layer. Bauxite is a vein stone, so the floor resets to that of the layer once the bauxite is mined out. Remember, there's no "normal stone" in DF.
There are layers, veins, large clusters, small clusters and single-tile clusters.  I'm not at my machine now, do we know what happens with large clusters (e.g., microcline)?  Why guess is that it leaves the layer stone as a floor, but I wouldn't be surprised if it went the other way.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

JoeJoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2014, 01:47:23 pm »

There are layers, veins, large clusters, small clusters and single-tile clusters.  I'm not at my machine now, do we know what happens with large clusters (e.g., microcline)?  Why guess is that it leaves the layer stone as a floor, but I wouldn't be surprised if it went the other way.

The floor also reverts to being the layer stone.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2014, 02:57:15 pm »

No smoothed-ingraved-highValue Gold Ore Floor for one. That's been a mainstay of my Noble's rooms for a while.
I'm going to miss having dining halls with magnetite floors, now.

Magnetite floors?  Those could be fun.  Just put in some iron furniture in there and it wouldn't move around during earthquakes.

And it might be something you could weaponize if your armor was made of candy and the gobbos had iron... just need Toady to add magnetism to the game now.  Shouldn't cost too many FPS, I hope, right? :)
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2014, 04:29:53 pm »

So no engraved obsidian floors? This is definetely a problem.....
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2014, 10:13:16 pm »

At least marble is still a layerstone. Obsidian can be as well, near volcanos.
I guess it is ok for gems and even ores that they get mined out properly, but why normal stone that just isn't layerstone? So when I mine out bauxite I should get bauxite floor.
Stone generates in two types, vein and layer. Bauxite is a vein stone, so the floor resets to that of the layer once the bauxite is mined out. Remember, there's no "normal stone" in DF.
Veins are veins and clusters are veins. The game handles them all the same way.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Tryble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2014, 11:54:47 am »

I really like this feature. It makes sense to me that when dwarves mine out a metal vein, they would, you know, mine out all of it? Okay you have to consider cave-ins, but that's more about leaving pillars, not the height of the mined out rock.

Gotta second this.  I always felt that it was weird for the dwarves to leave some fraction of the gold and iron just sitting on the floor, instead of pulling it out for usage.

However, the visual effect of a golden streak running through the fortress interior was both pretty cool and mildly irritating.

arbarbonif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2014, 09:44:06 pm »

It should keep the vein if the z level below is that vein.

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2014, 03:45:03 am »

Someone's reported it as a bug so I guess we'll find out whether it was intentional or not.
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2014, 05:26:14 am »

I really like this feature. It makes sense to me that when dwarves mine out a metal vein, they would, you know, mine out all of it? Okay you have to consider cave-ins, but that's more about leaving pillars, not the height of the mined out rock.
^^This.
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore
Pages: 1 [2] 3