Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress real-life material helper  (Read 20839 times)

Zorbeltuss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress real-life material helper
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2015, 11:19:08 am »

I'm trying to make wootz steel in df with the web client, it is really helpful, but it is hard to find more than Tensile strength and Young modulus.
What I'm wondering, is there asumptions I can do about the other moduli(?), is it safe to replace the values with the ones of ordinary Iron or Steel?
Having infinite Strain at yield seems either very strong or very weak (I should have taken metallurgy when I had the chance).
The assumptions of shear and comressive values seems really helpful though.

Also Thanks for an awesome modding tool.

/Zorbeltuss
Kun hölmöllä on moottorisaha, jokainen häviää. / Kaikki jotuvat tappiolle kun hölmöllä on moottorisaha.

Eldin00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2015, 01:45:18 pm »

Copying any modulus you can't find from either generic DF steel, or from a modern non-alloy steel (probably something in the 1-2% carbon range) would suffice as a reasonable guess at the correct value for wootz steel.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2015, 07:09:35 pm »

I'm trying to make wootz steel in df with the web client, it is really helpful, but it is hard to find more than Tensile strength and Young modulus.
What I'm wondering, is there asumptions I can do about the other moduli(?), is it safe to replace the values with the ones of ordinary Iron or Steel?
Having infinite Strain at yield seems either very strong or very weak (I should have taken metallurgy when I had the chance).
The assumptions of shear and comressive values seems really helpful though.

Also Thanks for an awesome modding tool.

/Zorbeltuss

Heh, I fixed it up so that, if you put in any two moduli (including 3 that DF doesn't use at all), the rest will be filled in using that data (since they're all related through some fairly simple equations).

Also added a silly little graphic showing how the material will deform under stress.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2015, 05:33:16 am »

still exists

made the deformation more realistic in the meantime (asked Toady exactly what STRAIN_AT_YIELD represents, turns out it's a percentage with a couple decimals attached)

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2015, 12:42:41 am »

I've been trying to find some numbers for sterling silver so I can use it as an alternate weapons metal.  The DF one is just copied from silver.  I found this https://www.shapeways.com/rrstatic/material_docs/mds-silver.pdf but I'm not sure what the values translate to.  MatWeb also has a few sterling silvers, but not enough data about them:  http://www.matweb.com/search/DataSheet.aspx?MatGUID=22d4521f61924465ad34a4632836ee55 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2015, 12:51:58 am »

The metric units are exactly what you want to use in the helper. GPa is 1000 MPa is 1000 KPa is 1000 pascals. Annealed is what you should be using in DF, I think. Matweb actually has enough, all things considered; the placeholders should be about good enough. I would actually use silver for anything you don't have, since it may actually be close enough. "Yield strength" is usually tensile yield.

Eldin00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2015, 02:29:10 am »

Annealed is probably not the best choice if you're wanting properties for weapons made from the stuff, since both silver and copper (and many of their alloys) tend to show some work hardening and annealing removes any of that. Half hard would probably be a better choice.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2015, 06:27:00 am »

I just updated the javascript version to look a bit prettier.

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2015, 04:06:44 pm »

I always think of this tool as the Putnam Material Helper, and it takes me a few tries of the search engine to remember that's not what you call it.  I love it though. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.
Pages: 1 2 [3]