Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New mechanical structures (Drills, Mineral processor, ...)  (Read 1028 times)

iridian

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
New mechanical structures (Drills, Mineral processor, ...)
« on: July 15, 2014, 05:15:14 am »

Hello,

I would like to suggest the following:

- A Drill: (usefull for making a shaft for a well or figuring out what the layers underground look like...)
[NEEDS_POWER]

╔═╗
! µ !
╚═╝

This 3x3 structure (made of gears/mechanisms/...) would puncture the ground and start mining downwards.
It would create a hole in the middle of the 3x3 and channel it out (or the 'mined out tile' gets destroyed, dug up or just channeled, ...)
It would be operated by a MINER (figures!) and he needs a drilling bit (either metallic/diamond tipped) and would need to feed it vertical axles in order for it to be able to dig deeper.
For example: to dig through 2Z layers downwards, he needs 1 drilling bit and 2 vertical axles.

[Q]uerying the structure should give the following options:
-Turn on/off
-Dig
-Retract
(-Replace drilbit)

(Drillbits could wear out over time or break/get lost)

A cap on the amount of Z-levels penetrated could be set, for example, you can only mine down 15Z-levels...
Depending on if it can drill through bodies of water or not, you might be able to clear out aquifers, flood stuff more easily etc etc

- Mineral Processor:(stuck in a mountain with low value rocks?)
[NEEDS_POWER]

Could be a 5x5 where waste (rock blocks,...) exit from > and valuables (gems, metal ores,...) exit from <
things have to be dropped onto ■ from the z-level above it

╔  !  ╗
>  ■ <
╚  !  ╝

Its a bit like a cruncher, it is a structure that consists of Spiked Metal balls, has a Grate in it and you feed it by dropping things into it from the Z-level above it. (Unfortunate accidents anyone?)
There is a chance that the ore yields something else (valuable metals or gems) and possibly a byproduct of waste (like a rock block or two of the same material, but not all 4 the mason would get out of it).
Maybe it needs to use the system of smelters, where the 'ores' are saved up untill enough % has been reached for it to form a unit of the stuff

Preferably I would like to have it be fed by [d]umping things in it from the level above and then it would 'spit' something out on either side (valuables/waste) on the level where the structure was constructed.
Could jam (like weapontraps) where a mechanic needs to clear/clean it.
Could be part of an elaborate trapdesign

[Q]uerying the structure should give the following options
-Turn on/off
-Maintenance (decreases the chance for it to jam) - lubricate it with rock nut oil or something

my 2 cents!

/Edited for formatting/'visualisation'
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 09:14:26 am by iridian »

coobuddy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New mechanical structures (Drills, Mineral processor, ...)
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 10:46:17 pm »

it seems like it should be implemented. even from a period appropriate technology pov. even the thuggee cult had a rock crusher in temple of doom...possibility for Fun!

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 10:57:22 pm »

dont make it so easy to turn drill and grinder on/off, require a connected lever!  (maybe even levers for the drill's other functions, just to make it more complex and difficult)  Also why should a miner operate it?  It isn't really similar to hitting things with a pick (is it?) maybe a mechanic or some new skill (drill operating?) should operate it.
grinder sounds fun, extract that goblinite from the raw goblin ore!
Not sure about extracting more minerals from plain rock.  I don't think it should yield blocks, they're supposed to be a well carved geometric shape or somesuch, ready for construction, maybe it should produce rubble or something?
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 01:35:01 am »

I'm afraid I don't see the point of a drilll versus the much quicker and VASTLY cheaper up/down stair designation, which gives you the ores/rocks, and is its own staircase back up again.

Honestly even if it does go through aquifers, I'm not sure I would choose that for how expensive it sounds versus double slit pumps which you can make out of a handful of dirt cheap logs and some gumption.

The mineral cruncher thing sounds kinda useful and nifty though.
Not sure about extracting more minerals from plain rock.
I think the idea is that a "vein" is a synonym for "economically viable vein" more realistically, whereas the crusher represents a desperate or unlucky (to have not found the vein) man's alternative of seeking the tiny little inclusions here and there elsewhere in the rock layers. It would make sense to limit it to minerals that can already be found in that layer on that map, though.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 01:37:14 am by GavJ »
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 09:28:07 am »

I'm afraid I don't see the point of a drilll versus the much quicker and VASTLY cheaper up/down stair designation, which gives you the ores/rocks, and is its own staircase back up again.

Honestly even if it does go through aquifers, I'm not sure I would choose that for how expensive it sounds versus double slit pumps which you can make out of a handful of dirt cheap logs and some gumption.

Can't make a well over a staircase.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 01:28:35 pm »

Okay, then channel 1x1 vertical (you can designate the whole thing at once and don't have to even keep an eye on it). I do this all the time.
When he hits the bottom, stairway back up next to it. Or more commonly, there's some way out at the bottom in the final design anyway. For instance, a killing drop pit has the butchers and everything at the bottom and a normal stairway for that the miner uses to get out again. Or for water pipes, there already has to be stair access to whatever contraptions you're filling up or digging down below (waterwheels or whatever), which the miner can use to leave again.

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Scruiser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 06:16:08 pm »

This in the vast majority of cases.  If other changes to the game made shafts more important (elevators added, other mechanical things), then this might be more reasonable.  Even then, a rope for your miner to channel vertically seems more practical.
Things I have never done in Dwarf Fortress;

- Won.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 02:32:20 pm »

This in the vast majority of cases.  If other changes to the game made shafts more important (elevators added, other mechanical things), then this might be more reasonable.  Even then, a rope for your miner to channel vertically seems more practical.
Well, a safety line could be useful in a number of situations in DF, such as working near cliffs or flowing water.  The complete and utter lack of any safety devices in the game makes me wonder how they discovered armor...
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2014, 02:50:52 pm »

Well, a safety line could be useful in a number of situations in DF, such as working near cliffs or flowing water.  The complete and utter lack of any safety devices in the game makes me wonder how they discovered armor...
Heresy! Elven scum!