Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bugs that nobody else has reported... or is just my game broken?  (Read 2300 times)

c6r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've been having really weird.. and sometimes amusing... effects in my game.

First... going in to a mood apparently gives the dwarf the ability to teleport themselves and objects.  Its seeming random... most of the time they run around like usual, but occasionally I'll have one claim a workshop, and then just blink there, from the other side of the fortress.  Most recently I found that one of my moody dwarves was needing bones that I didn't have... but I DID have a lone yak bull in a pasture that I wasn't going to be using for anything else, so a-butchering I went while my moody dwarf waited impatiently in his claimed workshop.  The butcher so much as touched the butcher shop and my moody dwarf instantly started construction.  He had teleported the entire set of yak bones... all 16... to the workshop.

Animal training... anyone else been having issues with this?  So, I had an extra room that I wasn't using for anything and I just happened to have a dog and a trainer not doing anything, so I dropped a training zone there and went to training a war dog.  An hour later both the trainer and dog are still sitting in the same room; no change.  Announcements gives me a stream of this message: "Edzul Cattenezum, Animal Trainer cancels Train Stray Dog (Tame) for War: No Creature".  I guess they just spent the last hour standing in a room staring at each other.  No idea how to fix that.

Lastly, and this isn't so much an issue, really, other than being odd, but other than a single goblin sighting my first year... and he obviously ran away... I have gone completely and utterly unmolested for... 5 or 6 years now, I think.  Even the Kea's are showing a distinct lack of interest in taking my stuff.  In the previous version I would have had half my stuff stolen and been under siege several times over by now.  This fortress seems to falling way short on the level of "fun" that I'm used to.

Did I break something in the AI's brain?  I'd really hate to have to flush this game and recreate the world from scratch if that's the case; this is probably the best fortress site I've ever gotten in the game and I'd be very disappoint if I had to scrap it.

Casei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bugs that nobody else has reported... or is just my game broken?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 01:29:15 pm »

It took a while for attackers to show up on my latest .40.03 fort, but it was the undead polar bear that did me in.

c6r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 01:37:12 pm »

It took a while for attackers to show up on my latest .40.03 fort, but it was the undead polar bear that did me in.

Ok.  I'll give it more time to see if anything shows up.  I'm ok with having free reign to do whatever at the moment anyway.

The teleporting dorfs is weird, but amusing, so I'm not worried about it.

I am, however, very annoyed at the training thing.  I want to get animal training going, but, for some reason, the game isn't treating my stray dog as a creature?  Like I said, I'm not sure what's going on there other than the repeated message I get, and its becoming really frustrating.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 01:42:05 pm »

First... going in to a mood apparently gives the dwarf the ability to teleport themselves and objects.  Its seeming random... most of the time they run around like usual, but occasionally I'll have one claim a workshop, and then just blink there, from the other side of the fortress.  Most recently I found that one of my moody dwarves was needing bones that I didn't have... but I DID have a lone yak bull in a pasture that I wasn't going to be using for anything else, so a-butchering I went while my moody dwarf waited impatiently in his claimed workshop.  The butcher so much as touched the butcher shop and my moody dwarf instantly started construction.  He had teleported the entire set of yak bones... all 16... to the workshop.

Are you sure about this? This would be a major change if it is true.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 01:47:08 pm »

Dunno about this one but...
Animal training... anyone else been having issues with this?  So, I had an extra room that I wasn't using for anything and I just happened to have a dog and a trainer not doing anything, so I dropped a training zone there and went to training a war dog.  An hour later both the trainer and dog are still sitting in the same room; no change.  Announcements gives me a stream of this message: "Edzul Cattenezum, Animal Trainer cancels Train Stray Dog (Tame) for War: No Creature".  I guess they just spent the last hour standing in a room staring at each other.  No idea how to fix that.
This is a known bug for this version... If you don't train animals everything will be fine, but currently this is broken.
Lastly, and this isn't so much an issue, really, other than being odd, but other than a single goblin sighting my first year... and he obviously ran away... I have gone completely and utterly unmolested for... 5 or 6 years now, I think.  Even the Kea's are showing a distinct lack of interest in taking my stuff.  In the previous version I would have had half my stuff stolen and been under siege several times over by now.  This fortress seems to falling way short on the level of "fun" that I'm used to.

Did I break something in the AI's brain?  I'd really hate to have to flush this game and recreate the world from scratch if that's the case; this is probably the best fortress site I've ever gotten in the game and I'd be very disappoint if I had to scrap it.
The lack of goblins is because Sieges are related to world activity now. Perhaps there's just too few armies interested in sieging you... As well, there's the fear mechanic which makes everything more docile. For the later you can either edit the raws to make everyone a bit more daring, but for the sieges you'll just have to make more noise in-game.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 02:07:14 pm »

The teleporting mood bug was reported.

About the single goblin...you must be very far away from the goblin civilization, as now the armies have to travel to reach your site. That goblin was propably just around the region you are.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2014, 02:28:35 pm »

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=6970

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=6748

Your local goblins are probably dead from a fluke of world gen -- most people are still getting sieges etc. as far as I know.  There are many aggression problems, though:
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=6547

c6r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2014, 08:41:00 pm »

Ah... Ok.  So the first two are bugs, and now bad guys are actually tied to the larger world.  Cool.

Extreme Boyheat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2014, 09:26:31 pm »

Yeah it's been a long time since my last siege too, funny thing as it was also my first and it was filled with elves, as soon as they were "welcomed" an elven caravan turned up. Not what I'm used to but I guess the active world likes to play games.

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2014, 12:14:58 am »

Yeah it's been a long time since my last siege too, funny thing as it was also my first and it was filled with elves, as soon as they were "welcomed" an elven caravan turned up. Not what I'm used to but I guess the active world likes to play games.
"Eat the dwarves!"

"The dwarves are not food, elf-lord. Our foraging parties were butchered."

"Hmm. Buy the dwarves!"

Lexyvil

• Bay Watcher
  • Serenading the folk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2014, 04:39:37 am »

Oh, I was just having the "Cannot train animal: no creature" bug. It's good to know that it's not just me but that it's somewhat common.

Another bug I think I found was that the mining skill labour disappeared from my miner's skill stats when I went to see how good a dwarf is at mining. It was "Adequate Miner" for a time, but then I re-checked again not longer after to see that it no longer said how good of a miner he was.
My post ends here.

Girubev

• Bay Watcher
  • You can talk to yourself; just win the argument...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2014, 09:21:34 am »

I think I managed to avoid/fix that animal training bug. What happened was a repeat of your situation of animal and trainer having the world's most epic staring contest with the cancellation spam x200+. What I did was I removed the training zone and set the animal to have no trainer [to stop the spam immediately], then just retry with a new zone and tell a trainer to go again, with a new dwarf if necessary. I don't guarantee this will work, as I've only encountered this twice thus far, and as it was beyond my control when the bug appeared, !!SCIENCE!! would be difficult.
Oh great, a Teddy Roosevelt Demon who can ban dwarves.
Just what you needed.