Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A random flood  (Read 1029 times)

94dima94

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
A random flood
« on: July 15, 2014, 01:02:28 pm »

I was just walking around in adventure mode, when I saw a dwarf travelling towards my town so I decided to follow him. After a while, we reach a river, and he "glitches out", standing still, like he can't find a way to cross it. Before I can understand what the problem is,

THIS happens:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I barely manage to escape the wave, and I start walking away.
Then, I fast travel back in the same spot and immediately the water rushes back, always reaching the same point, then stopping there.

Has anyone else experienced something similar? I have no idea what just happened...

EDIT: Yes, I still have the world (if you need it to find out what the hell is going on).
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 01:18:04 pm by 94dima94 »
The worst enemy you'll ever meet is the little voice that says Hey, this would be a cool/awesome/funny thing to do!/I wonder what happens if...
"Rock needs a nerf! Paper is just fine, IMO." - The Scissors.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A random flood
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 01:50:04 pm »

If you can remember the spot, try embarking on it?

Does it drop in elevation before that? It could be that the flow is too large for the lower part to handle.

94dima94

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 04:48:18 pm »

I still have two copies of the save, one with an adventurer on the spot after an attempt of "investigation".

I also made a series of screenshots while trying to understand something about it; let's just say it's even more confusing now.
I'll post all the pictures tomorrow.
The worst enemy you'll ever meet is the little voice that says Hey, this would be a cool/awesome/funny thing to do!/I wonder what happens if...

Moonlighter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 04:40:15 am »

People have mentioned before tides coming in and out in the recent update. Perhaps that's this?

94dima94

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 05:51:03 am »

People have mentioned before tides coming in and out in the recent update. Perhaps that's this?

I'm nowhere near the sea, if that's what you mean.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 09:30:16 am »

That might have already been a feature. I would have described the old feature as crashing waves, but I could definitely imagine someone calling those tides. As for the river I think you should just examine it for a while and see how long it lasts. Currently it reminds me of how some rivers have regular floods. While I kind of doubt Toady added a minor detail like that, it is possible.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Darchitect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2014, 12:36:38 pm »

I think rivers used to flood. Maybe they're doing that again?

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/23a:Cave_river#Floods

94dima94

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2014, 12:30:40 pm »

Ok, here's the complete story, or at least what i have.
Every time I get in that spot, the situation is this:

The water was everywhere, even on the other side of the river.

Going east, I found a hill, where there was no water, and I tried to use it to reach the starting point of the wave.

Then, while i was travelling south, this happened:

The river completely froze, and a chunk of ice was there.
It was "growing" on one side, while on the other it was completely flat:

I even climbed over it  (it was only 1 or 2 levels high), but obviously I couldn't find anything.

Then, I tried to explore west to see if something else was blocking the river (the ice wasn't there before, probably), but I couldn't find anything. So, i went back tho the ice block, and:
Nothing. All the ice disappeared.

Do you have an explanation for this? I'm lost...