Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11

Author Topic: The Fell Peak [Community Fortress] - platinum blunt weapons for everyone!  (Read 12116 times)

Lord Braindead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Fell Peak [Community Fortress]
« Reply #105 on: July 24, 2014, 03:02:35 pm »

The Log of Idek
2nd Galena 661
Tonight, I was woken by Litast. Well, woken is a bit of an overstatement. I just woke up on my own I guess but that Litast was sitting beside me seemed odd. Even odder was that he actually looked at me again.
Once I had sat up in my bed, he even talked to me, but sadly I couldn't make out the meaning of it. He said something about seeing for the first time and him not being worthy of someones attention. Then he started to rable about whatever he wanted to do in that workshop, constantly contradicting himself as if he couldn't remember what it was that he wanted, or was supposed according to his words, to do there. This went on for a few minutes and I didn't dare to interrupt him or stand up and risk startling him. Doctor Skull told us that humoring him might be the best, so I stuck to that.
However, then he turned back to me and what he said then still puzzles me. He thanked me for bringing him to this place, for the chance that meant for him and apologized for not being able to help us in our goal. In retrospect, I think he meant that he regreted not joining the military.
After saying this, he stood up and went to the door. A short goodbye later, he was gone as if this visit was absolutely normal.

It took me a while to go back to sleep and I kept an eye out for him today. I hope he is getting better, but I havent been able to find him.

3rd Galena 661
Litast is dead. We found him in one of the unfinished housing rooms.
I think when he said goodbye last night, he meant it.

The doctor says he starved himself to death. It would make sense that he knew he wasn't going to make it much longer, but why he was choosing such a gruesome way of suicide still eludes me.

6th Sandstone 661
Finally, my chance to wring Datans neck arrived. He and his group where ushered into the fortress like old friends and the moment he stepped closer to me I dragged him to the small room I use the keep the slabs with the stockpile lists.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Immediately, I was on a roll and a rather loud one at that. Datan didn't even try to interrupt my diatribe and only when I ran out of steam, he started to tell his side of the story. Never did he tell anyone any stories about an awe inspiring fortress and its mighty army. He merely told everyone who asked about the small settlement he had seen here and some valiant dwarves who where defending it. Our location was only told to a few selected slaves who entertained thoughts of escaping. In the end, the story probably just took the way of all rumours and became bigger and brighter with every retelling. For him, he was just giving these people some much needed hope and I agreed with that.

Still, I can't shake the feeling that something happened since his last visited. He seems rather subdued for some reason.

7th Sandstone 661
Unsurprisingly, some of Datans group, which had grown in number to nearly twenty again, want to stay here again. Some of them even followed him just for that reason.
I told the nine that where interested to report to Castor and Frontestro first and foremost. We really need more workers in the mines and most of them, except for the two smiths, had not many valuable skills to offer otherwise.
However, three of them where not content with that arrangement and stood in my tiny office not an hour later.

The most vocal of the three was a woman called Vela, who told in no uncertain terms that she didn't come here to swing a pick.
She wasn't exactly rude, but neither terribly polite in her request to join the militia. The fact that we still had not much decent armor around and that she completely refused to tell my she was so adamant about made me initially refuse her request.

That immediately led to an outburst of the second of the group, Cerapter.
I have seen quite a few short tempered people in my time and he is in my opinion their uncrowned king. His arguments where mostly the same. That we needed every able bodied dwarf and that the goblins could come any moment. I tried to calm him down, which only led to more and louder shouting on his part, including some jabs at my own "discussion" with Datan yesterday and that I was in no position to tell him to lower his voice.
Ultimate, I gave up and granted them their request.

Mafiawhale had already inquired if we couldnt find anyone for his squad to replace Alev, he wanted to dispatch them in groups of three and was one dwarf short. I told Vela to report to him for her instructions. Those two will either get along great or try to murder each other and I have no idea which one it will be.
Cerapter on the other hand, was ordered to Dewsif. If was half as temperamentfull with an axe as he was in my office, then he might be a actually a rather valuable addition to the squad.

Which left me alone with the last one and in retrospect, being alone with Nail seems like a bad idea.
The discussion was absurd right from the start. She was a gemsetter in some Dark Tower and told me that she grew bored with the artistic preferences of the goblins and left to find inspiration. It sounded like she just stood up one day, went to the gate, waved to the guards and was on her way. From there on, it became more and more creepy. She told me in vivid detail about bloody battles and unspeakable attrocities and how she loved art that paid homage to these things. The greatest dream she had, she told me, was to make a great piece of art that truly captured the brutality of war, the screaming and dying and a myriad other stomach turning details that she took great delight in describing.
While she liked to do murals in gems, she hoped that we would allow her to use a longer lasting medium and become an engraver. I reluctantly agreed and to be perfectly honest, it was mostly so that I don't anger the more then a bit unhinged girl.

I hope she bothers the militia not to much. If she inquires about Alev to much, some people might take offense.

10th Sandstone 661
I finally got around to trade with Datan today. It was mostly cheap food and some gems and crafts from us for a large batch of wood he managed to aquire for us.
As the final part of our trade, I gave him a copy of the letter I had send with the humans and another pouch of gems. However, the look he gave me in return was one of pure dejection.

He took me aside about something that he said I should be aware of and gave me the news he heard from the north.
The goblins are marching in full force. They have overrun at least ten elven settlements and three dwarven ones and the main host of their armies isn't even part of the attack yet. Even the border guards of the greenskins where sufficient to completely obliterate any defenders and send hundreds if not thousands fleeing for the safety of the few fortresses there are.
All of this happened only in the last few months it seems.

I alway dreamed of going to the north, to see the dwarven kingdom. Lately I would have been content with just some emissary from there coming to us and helping us to hold this place.
It seems we are truly on our own.

Notes: Its not an engraver, but the personality just screamed !!Artist!! so I hope you are happy with her Nail.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 03:06:14 pm by Lord Braindead »

Cerapter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 24, 2014, 03:53:19 pm »

That personality description at the bottom in white... it scares me.
It's near spot-on.
That "not particularly interested in what others think of him" and "needs alcohol to get through the day" is wrong, but the other parts...
It's as if someone just came up to me and listed everything wrong with me.

...Did I just get a verbal beatdown from a playthrough of a video game?

Anyway, screaming at Idek is the best introduction one could get, so I approve.
My anaconda man don't want none unless you got 5,000 cm3 of [SELECT_BP:LOWER_BODY:REAR][SELECT_ADDITIONAL_BP:UPPER_LEGS:REAR] hun.

Civilian squads: a suggestion regarding Dwarf Therapist, maintaining stock levels, independent workshop-usage and the military screen.

Lord Braindead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 24, 2014, 04:07:42 pm »

It seems my leadership is not as universally loved as I thought. It might be time for some motivational measures... ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈

Cerapter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 24, 2014, 04:48:40 pm »

*Puts Pacifier and Persuader skills to a test by repeatedly apologising to Idek*
My anaconda man don't want none unless you got 5,000 cm3 of [SELECT_BP:LOWER_BODY:REAR][SELECT_ADDITIONAL_BP:UPPER_LEGS:REAR] hun.

Civilian squads: a suggestion regarding Dwarf Therapist, maintaining stock levels, independent workshop-usage and the military screen.

Nail

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud hypocrite
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 25, 2014, 01:40:45 pm »

Oh god, this new personality system is perfect for something like this! Thank you very much for taking the time to find such a perfect dwarf!

This is an exceptional cat leather-bound book. On it is an image of a square in hematite
7th of Sandstone 661
I have finally arrived at The Fell Peak, and while my peer's hopes seem to have received a dampener by the state we found the place in, I cannot but think this fortress will supply me with plenty of inspiration to imprint upon my new canvas: On the way up the mountain I am sure I saw red mingling with the white of snow. And a great canvas it will be, carving into the flank of a volcano.

11th of Sandstone 661
How often have I told myself not to preemptively think everything is for the best. While asking around about the battle that raged shortly before my arrival(note to self: the lad that was killed was called Alev and is not related at all to Vela, do not suggest this in any way or beware her new pointy thing), I overheard someone talking about the goblins finally marching on the north. That means their troops are going to be focused there and won't be coming here. I left literally as things were going to get interesting and headed exactly the opposite direction of all the Fun stuff.
The rest of the page is filled with scribbles. In the scribbles is a dwarf lying down surrounded by goblins. The dwarf is killing the goblins. One of the goblins is striking down the dwarf.

What are the squads equipped with, weapons wise?
left eye

Lord Braindead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 25, 2014, 04:13:03 pm »

The Log of Idek
10th Timber 661
Today we where attacked again, altrough not by an organized force, but some kind of wild creature.
Dewsif was training with Cerapter in the entrance hall when some sort of humanoid animal pushed the outer doors open. There was no warning of its arrival and it somehow seems to have evaded Mafiawhales squad that is guarding the construction of the lookout tower.
Dewsif later told me that the creature looked half mad and nearly starved and considering this, it somehow makes sense what it did next. You see, I was not aware of it but Cerapter arrived here with a pet duck. Said duck was following him around most of the time and was present in the hall when the beast entered. Seemingly attracted by the easy prey, the creature lunged for the duck and visciously attacked it.
This gave Cerapter, who was beyond mere rage at this point, and Dewsif a few precious seconds to attack and quickly slay the beast. Sadly, Cerapters duck died and he is currently stalking the halls and yelling at everyone who even dares to look at him.

Meanwhile, Doctor Skull had a look at the weird animal and advised us to burn both it and the duck for safetys sake. He was quite insistent on that for some reason, but I saw no harm in doing as he suggest and had both corpses incinerated in the volcano.

15th Moonstone 661
The lookouts noticed a few dark gnomes passing by today and to our luck and to their intense misfortune they passed through one of the many dust clouds that sweep the mountain currently.
Avoiding them was certainly a good idea since when the gnomes emerged again, there where large brusies forming all over their bodies and they seemed to have trouble breathing. A short while later, they just dropped down and after a few minutes stopped moving entirely.
While it is good to finally know more about the nature of this rolling mist, its still very unsettling to see how deadly it is.

3rd Opal 661
We finally found a hematite deposit. It isn't large but its better then nothing. While the miners are busy searching for more veins in the vincinity, we have started to produce another batch of steel.
It will probably be sufficient to equip everyone with steel breastplates and maybe the close-combat squad with some greaves on top of that.

11th Opal 661
We where woken today by some rumbling from down the mines. At first, I thought there was an accident during the early shift, but the sound orriginated from deeper down.
It seems there is another beast down in the cavers and this time much more violent then the one that passed by a few months ago.
We had prepared to open a proper access to the caverns for a while now and even laid down some traps to keep the wildlife out, so the decision to open the passage and kill the beast before it might do so on its own or cause a cavein wasn't hard.
The militia was assembled in full force and then the last few meters of rock where broken down.

The militia was just starting to take stock of their surroundings when the monstrosity appeared around a corner. How it found them so quickly, I have no idea, but it seemed very eager to direct its mindless rage toward them.
Some of the militia where frozen with shock by being accosted by the grotesque beast, but others kept a calm head. Torg immediately fired some well placed bolts to distract it, which gave Dewsif and ShadowHammer time to close in. While the creature trashed around a lot and was desperately trying to hit them, they managed to evade any and all attacks while landing hit after hit themselves.
At first they struck at its legs, Dewsif taking one off and Shadowhammer shattering two others, while Torg kept firing bolts into its torso. The now nearly immobilized beast was then assaulted mercilessly by axe and hammer until Dewsif managed to land a lucky hit that broke apart most of its body.

This whole operation and the surprising attack two months ago went very well and im impressed and proud about the performance of our soldiers.
Meanwhile, Dewsif is starting to get an reputation it seems. Some of the people around have started calling him "The Granite Threat of Labor". I haven't managed to figure out the meaning of this yet, but it seems the name is sticking.

11th Obisidian 661
Another year draws to its close and its quiet here in Igrishilrom. Steel production is still going, small arguments between Walrus and Beirus included, the archery tower is making some headway and part of the long ignored housing project is being finished. Pyer and Nail are busy engraving the rooms and the first few are nearly done.
Castor and Frontestro are still digging shaft after shaft to search for more iron and Iamblichos is hot on their heels, snatching up any gems they might find on the way.
Tasrak, who was mostly known for his good booze until now, has started to claim our new kitchen more often then not. A soup made from dwarven wine and plump helmets might not sound very great, but after dining on nothing but the raw mushrooms for most of our lives, its delicious.
All in all, we somehow established a nice and stable routine in our little hole in the wasteland.

The only thing I dread thinking about currently are the news from the north. It will be a while before we might from there again and I am worried that it might get even worse.
However, there isn't much we can do beside hope for the best. Some might suggest praying, but like many here, my believe in the gods is hardly the firmest. They haven't helped us all those years under greenskin yoke, why should they start now?

Notes: Not terribly exciting battles but at least our militia Dewsif got some more combat experience.

@Nail: No thanks necessary, DF just decided to send me a nutter exactly when I wanted a nutter (not that DF is very picky about when, let alone how many deranged psychos its sending us).
The weapons are steel axes for Dewsif and Cerapter, unarmed for Vorus, a steel short sword for Guylock and silver hammers for ShadowHammer and Spehss.
Mafiawhales squad all have crossbows made from IHaveNoIdeaWhat. Most of them are former hunters who came with crossbows to us, so they have a wide range of materials.

On that note, no epic engravings from Nail so far and Pyer is sticking to the usual 'appointed as', 'founded by' and 'traveled to'.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 04:15:41 pm by Lord Braindead »

Cerapter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 25, 2014, 04:42:58 pm »

Oh, Tobul, you'll be missed.

..Well, let's eat, who fancies duck?

By the way, gnomes? Did I miss something?

Nail

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud hypocrite
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 25, 2014, 05:14:18 pm »

Ah yes IHaveNoIdeaWhat, the most versatile off all materials.

10th Obsisdian 661
Well, the last few months have shown a decent amount of of potential, even without goblins. A werehyena snuck in, painting a beautiful picture with a duck before adorning it himself, piece by piece, and while the amber beast from the caverns didn't spill any blood, it was still a sight to behold how this ancient force of nature was brought down to his knees, dismembered and broken. The clouds of mist around here are also quite interesting. Their ability to strike and eradicate anybody it touches seems to me a fitting metaphor for this world constantly enveloped in darkness. I was concerned that with goblins dominating the entire world conflict would die out, but now I am hopeful this world still has much to show us before it is reforged. I pray proper battle and death may still come to the Fell Peak.
left eye

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 25, 2014, 06:23:30 pm »

Oh, Tobul, you'll be missed.

..Well, let's eat, who fancies duck?

By the way, gnomes? Did I miss something?

Mountain Gnomes (And their Dark counterparts.) are uncivilized creatures who like to steal booze.

Frontestro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 25, 2014, 08:30:59 pm »

Sweet we have our first "champion" dwarf in Dewsif. Its nice to see that our militia appears to be much stronger than in the past with our members taking down a forgotten beast. (By the way any chance of us seeing a combat log for that or is it long gone?) Also Yay cavern exploration its a great way for militia patrols to level up actual combat experience. And finally we got to see what the Bludgeoning Mist does, apparently it seems to bruise everything? I'm guessing that includes inside the lungs which would very much indeed mean a slow painfull death of asphyxiation...

Lord Braindead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 26, 2014, 03:11:53 am »

The combat log got very long and sameish. Took Dewsif and ShadowHammer quite a while to accumulate enough damage to finally kill the beast so I decided against posting it.
Im going to see if its still complete.

The mist is causing bruises to the whole creature, not even just outer tissue and the lungs. Every gnome that got hit had complete organ failure the moment it came back out.
It also causes a slight fever and that is terrible.

Lord Braindead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 26, 2014, 06:18:10 pm »

The Log of Idek
27th Obsidian 661
There has been some talk lately about replacing me as the leader of the settlement. It isn't a big surprise to be honest. Between keeping an eye on our stocks and planning this and that, I barely have enough time to keep in touch with everyone. Some of our latest arrivals probably don't even know who I am and my outburst with Datan probably lost me some points with some people.
I don't really mind the thought to have a less filled shedule again and its not like I actively tried to be the leader of Igrishilrom. So I proposed to hold a vote on the first of Granite to elect a new leader. The record keeping will remain my duty and I am sure that whoever wins will do a good job with everything else.

1st Granite 662
To my great surprise, Mafiawhale won the election and as his first act, declared that his position will henceforth be known as mayor. I wouldn't have thought that there are that many people here who trust him that much. In any case, he told me that he would still like to consult me for some things, since I have more experience in running everything.
I just hope that the duty as mayor and squadleader won't be to much for him, but since we weren't attacked by the goblins for a long time now, it will probably be manageable.

8th Granite 662
Beirus was running through the halls today, shouting at the top of his lungs that "he got it" and that "it will be great". I have no idea what this is about and the other smiths, first and foremost Misting Walrus, seemed quite annoyed with him when he kicked them out of the forges. Now he was barricaded himself in and all we know that he working frantically on something.

17th Granite 662
After one and a half week, Beirus finally came back out of the forge and was swinging a huge and shiny hammer around.
It seems he was mostly creating it on the fly and wasn't even sure himself how he did it, but somehow he managed to make a warhammer from pure platnium that didn't snap from the force of the first swing like one would expect it to.
Rumor is he now wants to join the military since he is convinced his spontaneous creation is some sort of sign. Considering that this is Mafiawhales decision now, he probably will be allowed to join. I sincerely doubt that the markswarf would turn anyone away who would ask to join our troops.

27th Granite 662
I'm starting to get suspicious of Fishybang, Torg and Misting Walrus all had babys again. Even in the same order as last year.

2nd Slate 662
The elven merchants returned today. Mafiawhale had a lengthy meeting with one of them while I bought us some exotic fruit and a large batch of wood from them.
Later, he told us about what he learned from them.
The situation in the north is dire. The elven kingdoms are barely able to muster a force that can slow the goblins down, let alone stop them. More settlements have fallen and bands of refugees wander around aimlessly, trying to somehow flee from the approaching greenskins. The temples are full of those that have no other place to go, but prayers to the gods fall on deaf ears.
Allegedly, some of the small human countrys have started to raise armies and are launching counterattacks against the goblin settlements. However, theyr number is small and it is hard to tell how long they can keep up their effort.

While one might expect such news to result in plummeting moral in our halls, it just seems to motivate most of us to work even harder.

17th Slate 662
A group of refugees appeared on the horizon today, numbering a total of 28 dwarves. Mafiawhale had picked up on my habit to send new arrivals to our foremans, the longstanding and most experienced dwarfs here are called this now, and did the same. I tried to talk to some of them to get their story to record it like those of the others that came to us.
At first, I attempted to speak with a woman named Kadol, but that attempt didn't yield much. She wasn't terribly forthcoming with information and just told me that she wandered alone until she joined the other twentyseven on her way here. Overall she was rather standoffish and now and then very rude.

So I tried my luck with the swordsdwarf Fath, now member of Dewsifs squad, who told me that his group was supposed to be draftet for some sort of building project near one of the dark towers.
With most of the able bodied greenskin being off to the north, the escort was neither terribly large, not very well trained and the slaves managed to overwhelm then. From there on, it was the usual tale. They had heard of Igrishilrom and traveled here and now where a bit dissappointed about the state of the settlement.

The digs at my skills as a fortress planer a slowly starting to sting. Before this, I hadn't built a hut, let alone a full fledged settlement with next to no supplies in the middle of nowhere.
For my first try, I think this place turned out rather well.

25th Slate 662
It seems Mafiawhale is taking the complaints about our lack of great fortressness seriously. He approached me today with some plans for a new and centralized hub of rooms and hallways where he wants to errect new workshops and lavish living space for everyone. My part in the whole thing would be to make sure that all necessary materials where provided. Considering he wants everything from the doors, over statues to the damn chamberpots made from gold, there won't be many different things to keep track of. And if there is one thing we have found enough on our search for iron, its gold.

Still, I think the whole project is bordering on megalomanic and told him as much. He just brushed me off and told me, that while he values the work I did to make this place liveable, it was time for someone with an eye for greatness to plan our expansion.
Maybe he is right. Maybe he will waste a lot of time and effort on pointless bauble. We will see.

Notes: Oh goblin where art thou?
At least the first mayor gives me a good pretext to start a pointless project that will keep the fort busy and make us of our stocks of gold. I also entertain the hope that raising the wealth of the fortress will get us more attention.

New military members are: Beirus as a hammerdwarf and the immigrant Fath with a steel short sword. The marksdwarves got the immigrant Cilob.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 06:21:16 pm by Lord Braindead »

Frontestro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 26, 2014, 06:40:53 pm »

Dat fancy hammer made of Platinum mmmm.... heavier than silver and steel.... excellent weapon that. Anyways YAY! I finally get to dig out the super sized rooms of a proper fortress! Hopefully we get a goblin christmas soon as we are gonna need the loincloths and iron at this rate.

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 26, 2014, 06:44:43 pm »

Hopefully I'll actually use the warhammer in combat instead of fists.
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

Lord Braindead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 26, 2014, 07:12:18 pm »

Since the new version, fistfighting is (mostly) in check. I think the main reason some of the militia still use fists and weapons equally often, is that they managed to get quite impressiv fisticuff skills.
Beirus shouldn't have that 'problem' and im looking forward to his first deployment.
I never had a platinum hammer before so I am quite eager to find out if they are really as good as people make them sound.

Iron actually is becoming less of a problem after I found two hematite veins while mining gold. Some good old greed would have saved us a lot of pointless digging.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11