Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves getting injured falling out of trees  (Read 5671 times)

PK1312

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarves getting injured falling out of trees
« on: July 15, 2014, 06:25:09 pm »

So ever since the new version I've been getting innundated with dwarves getting horribly injured falling out of trees. (Or at least I assume that's what's happening, the combat reports show them colliding with obstacles). Is this a bug or intended behavior? My hospital is overwhelmed, not to mention my early fortresses getting crippled by having 4 of the 7 dwarves getting horribly injured righto ff the bat.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 06:31:51 pm by PK1312 »

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves getting injured falling out of trees
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 06:47:25 pm »

Don't destroy your wagon unless you have a meeting zone, or a sculpture garden.  Having a meeting zone seems to prevent most (or possibly all) idle climbing adventure deaths.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

PK1312

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 07:05:34 pm »

Alright, so, I made a well and designated it a meeting area and now I have a new problem: Dwarves jumping to their deaths down the well.

Codyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 07:24:04 pm »

Hilarious, don't set the well as a meeting room though. Just make a zone in some dining hall for it.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 07:32:06 pm »

It's been reported :
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=6586

I think in the current state to avoid dwarves deciding to do stunts for no reason and get their body broken is to use burrows very early (basically as soon as you arrive on the map) and set up an alert that will force all the dwarves to only move inside the zones designed by the burrows.

Of course the burrow will have to be designed so trees and other danger tiles are outside of them to keep the dwarves from making their insane stunts.

Can be annoying, as you need to correctly plan where you want to dig and etc... as if a dig designation is out of a burrown, none will dig.
The same as if you want to build a multi-level wall or tower, remember to design your burrow on multiple levels.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 07:37:25 pm »

Trees are evil. Its official. I mean, they entrance flying creatures into impacting them and dying. And now their foul majyks are even now at work upon seducing good honest dwarves into... CLIMBING them and then jumping to their death. It is terrifying.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2014, 07:41:25 pm »

I've been a victim of it. Don't do No-points embarks without using a burrow anymore. I had a guy fall into a pond and drown this afternoon.

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2014, 03:38:28 pm »

Trees are evil. Its official. I mean, they entrance flying creatures into impacting them and dying. And now their foul majyks are even now at work upon seducing good honest dwarves into... CLIMBING them and then jumping to their death. It is terrifying.

I'm telling you, this is DF's version of The Happening! They're having their revenge! We must stop them before only the elves survive! It was inevitable.
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

PK1312

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2014, 07:41:19 pm »

Thanks for your suggestions, everyone. I managed to get my dwarves to stop falling out of trees and jumping down wells just in time for a necromancer to kill everyone.
In my new fortress, though, I'm getting a new glitch- or rather an old one. My dwarves are stealing everything out of the caravans for the hospital when they arrive.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 08:02:48 pm by PK1312 »

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2014, 11:00:53 pm »

Don't use chests for hospital storage. Forego chests there and just use stockpiles. They won't trip the kleptocracy bug.

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2014, 01:35:51 am »

The simplest solution is to create a meeting hall out of a couple tables.
Havent had a single dwarf injured yet in a 2 year old fort.

PK1312

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2014, 02:05:19 am »

Don't use chests for hospital storage. Forego chests there and just use stockpiles. They won't trip the kleptocracy bug.

Are bags safe?

Extreme Boyheat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2014, 06:40:22 am »

Bags function as chests when placed.