Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14

Author Topic: [50.01] All Races Playable mod  (Read 121260 times)

zakthefallen

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: [0.43.05] All Races Playable mod
« Reply #105 on: October 01, 2017, 01:56:36 pm »

Thanks! I can easily add it myself, I just wanted to make sure if it was intentional or not.

I also took a try at elves...and they are definitely hard mode. Can't dig, or cut down trees, or even farm. Hope and pray that you get some wool-producing animals, and make sure to bring along some livestock to help with food. Otherwise you rely heavily on trade, and your civilization will refuse to buy anything made of wood, which is your only main resource for crafting, besides maybe bits of bone from butchering animals. Wood armor and weapons only go so far, so eventually you have to import better gear from humans and dwarves, and heaven have mercy if you embarked without any neighbors that trade.

Overall I do like the challenge of playing as elves, I just need a lot of trial and error to find a playstyle that actually works for them. If you can't cut down trees, then you have build around them. Just building a base is a lot more difficult...or I could embark in a more open area I guess. Ironically the forests are really difficult for elves to build in.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 02:22:33 pm by zakthefallen »

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 14, 2017, 05:31:07 am »

You could just make a wooden pickaxe out of a seed reaction then go with the topsy turvy seed mechanics to make some sort of unique elf metal from particular cavern seeds collected by low frequency plants.

Or/and instead make a particular reaction (charcoal -> Obsidian stone?) to let you craft a obsidian stone pick and obsidian swords that are still sharp. The presented challenge of the caverns does not make you invincible (not all creatures are [NATURAL] and therefore wont aggro) and the obsidian picks will wear out fast (but still be VERY sharp) in much later versions post 43.05, though in general the artifact update ought to make this modification & elves more viable.

Ill definitely give it a look and use it as a base for my next modded game when DF2017 comes out soon with these said changes in mind.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 05:06:29 am by FantasticDorf »

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 17, 2017, 05:02:45 pm »

I've often felt that elf mode requires metal grade woods. TBH I just find the game more fun with farming and mining enabled, even for elves. I just don't build my fort underground all the same.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 17, 2017, 06:44:23 pm »

There's some good news for this mod if elves are fine with using obsidian pickaxes, obsidian axes, swords & daggers work accordingly for being sharp enough to function normally (pickaxes work regardless of material but have edged attacks), but break close to instantly when colliding in contact with armor or dense materials like metal in more recent versions.

(The obsidian raws just to showcase how sharp it is, means of making obsidan could probably be achieved via elf-reaction tricks, such as crafting sand and a seed together to bind it into a stone)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If you have a magma kiln, without metalforging (for admantine harvesting deep underground, could use alternative reactions instead to make sweet sweet adamantine arrows) you could still make custom kiln reactions for plant cruelty free materials like glass & particular special elf objects.

4powerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 09, 2017, 05:59:38 pm »

help, I downloaded the mod and put in my main DF folder like you said and nothing happened.
GENERATION 30:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
don't walk past the unoccupied beds to sleep on the floor and then complain about it

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 09, 2017, 07:10:46 pm »

It is poor wording, the OP means your RAW -> OBJECTS folder where all of the main item/creature/tool files & stuff are held in ideally the same version as the mod's intended game version, updating it to later or the latest version can require further custom modding.

Thankfully the installation method is straightforward and a NEW WORLD is required before the mod changes take place if you did install it correctly. These are general RAW modding practices used for lots of different mods, mods are not retroactive and wont work on old saves.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 07:12:35 pm by FantasticDorf »

Lovechild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 09, 2017, 08:26:01 pm »

help, I downloaded the mod and put in my main DF folder like you said and nothing happened.
1. Download the mod.
2. Extract the files from the zip file.
3. There should be two things there: a folder named "raw", and a text file named "readme".
4. Drag the "raw" folder into your main DF folder. This will cause some files to be overwritten.
5. Generate a new world.
6. Done!
All Races Playable Mod - Minimal mod to play as any race in DF - For 0.50.01

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 17, 2017, 12:22:54 pm »

I've often felt that elf mode requires metal grade woods. TBH I just find the game more fun with farming and mining enabled, even for elves. I just don't build my fort underground all the same.

Exactly, If only the game had some suitable hardwoods.

Anyway, a quick question does this work in the current version ???

« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 12:29:26 pm by Paxiecrunchle »

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 17, 2017, 02:26:28 pm »

No, I had to modify the raws myself to reenable a lot of labors for elves. I just compared elves to dwarves and some of the dwarf material over.

Lovechild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 17, 2017, 03:46:17 pm »

The mod works with the current version. The missing labors and materials for elves are as intended (but there's nothing with changing it if that's what you prefer, of course).

Lovechild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.44.01] All Races Playable mod
« Reply #115 on: November 23, 2017, 04:57:08 am »

The mod is now updated for 0.44.01!

Download

fehtuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.44.02] All Races Playable mod
« Reply #116 on: December 11, 2017, 02:33:23 am »

Love this mod, it adds a bit of variety to the game while keeping it true to the devs vision.

I've been messing about with Elves and have a couple of questions.

1: Are Elves able to hunt? The labour is enabled on mine but they don't seem to be doing it.

2. Has anyone worked out a playstyle for them? My play is a settlement built around a large, tall wooden tower with balconies to station archers. But ironically doing this is most difficult in a forest as you can't remove trees.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 28, 2018, 07:58:38 am »

PERMITTED_JOB does not appear to work on certain labors (if not using DFhack). For example, in Elf Mode I could still toggle mining and farming labors; metalsmithing however is unavailable as per expected.

Most horrifyingly, elves can chop down trees.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 08:06:48 am by Bearskie »

Mediterraneo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 05, 2018, 10:51:58 am »

Wow, with the new raid function it's now perfect to be a Goblin, in the very same vanilla Dwarf Fortress universe.

It was some times since I played DF and this is a great excuse to come back!

But i do have to ask for help: how do you build Troll-sized equipment?
I saw an "[EQUIPS]" tag on the troll's raws in the mod, so I think they will be able to actually use equipment, but I do not have a troll sized option for producing equipment (for now I just checked on the leatherwork, not in the metalsmith).
Is there a turnaround for this? Like, producing for a creature of troll size (I have opions for all kinds of animal men sizes in the leatherwork, maybe someone will fit)
Am I the first having this problem/idea? Or have anybody else found a way?

Cheers everybody, and thanks for the mod to the author, keep up with the good work!
I don't do much modding, but when I do you can use anything I did for Dwarf Fortress in any non-commercial project. Let me know if you did, you'll make me happy!

Rhenaya's Drow mod forum page

Lovechild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 05, 2018, 11:31:18 am »

Clothes and armor sized for one/two-humped camel men, or polar bear men, should fit trolls if the wiki is correct about sizing.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14