Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14

Author Topic: [50.01] All Races Playable mod  (Read 121263 times)

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
Re: [0.40.16+] All Races Playable mod
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2014, 01:59:21 pm »

What does LNP actually do when you change graphics? ... It is possible that it has to overwrite some of the files, undoing the mod.

Lovechild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2014, 02:06:24 pm »

Very happy to have found this mod but I'm having some trouble with it. Maybe I can get some insight please?

When I first used the mod it worked fine, I had a Goblin Fortress started. I turned on a different graphic with the LNP and still had a Goblin team. I deleted that Fortress because I didn't spend any points (just wanted to check if the mod worked) but now I can't use any other Civ besides Dwarves.
I turned off the graphics mod and tried to load it with vanilla settings like before but it still doesn't work.

Using 40.15 LNP with Soundsense utility, nothing else.
What does LNP actually do when you change graphics? ... It is possible that it has to overwrite some of the files, undoing the mod.

Yep, that is probably the case. If entity_default gets overwritten most of the mod disappears.

Set your graphics as you want them before you install the mod and gen the world.

EDIT: ...This might screw up the graphics instead as creature_standard gets overwritten.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 02:10:23 pm by Lovechild »
All Races Playable Mod - Minimal mod to play as any race in DF - For 0.50.01

Justinlc91

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2014, 04:59:58 pm »

I'll give it a shot later tonight and see how it goes. Thanks guys.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2014, 07:36:01 pm »

EDIT: ...This might screw up the graphics instead as creature_standard gets overwritten.
The creature_standard and entity_default files are overwritten (among many, many others) when LNP applies Phoebus.  There are projects underway to use merging tools to let mods coexist with graphics packs and/or other mods, but in the meantime the only way to really do this is by hand.

Depending on how often you foresee updating the mod, it might just be easier to apply your changes to a graphics-packed version of the raws and package all of that together (this is how Button handled it in her Plant Fix mod).  My method was to set things up for Phoebus from the start and give instructions on search-replace to adapt it to other major graphics packs, though I'm leaning in Button's direction for future versions.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Justinlc91

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2014, 10:51:23 am »

Following Lovechilds advice and was able to generate a world and select any of the races after turning on all of the mods I wanted before replacing the raw.

I noticed though not all of the load out options are available when preparing for the journey. A few examples are weapons and livestock. So I deleted the raw file and replaced it again with the All Races Playable mod and fixed the issue.
I'm now able to choose any race with all of the load out options and enter the game with my other mods no problem.

Thanks for all the help.

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2014, 11:57:29 am »

If you want to use this + another mod (e.g. tileset) a file compare tool will be very handy. I use Winmerge myself. It's a pain to sort out the first time but once you've done it once the next update will be simpler to fix.
()==[:::::::::::::>

Lovechild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.40.19+] All Races Playable mod
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2014, 02:22:03 am »

Here is an update for 0.40.19, adding gelding. I also fixed a bug that made dwarves unable to send caravans and sieges to other races.

Download
All Races Playable Mod - Minimal mod to play as any race in DF - For 0.50.01

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2014, 05:25:28 am »

Looking at this thread, I really want to run a "race wars" succession game. Er, maybe "species war" succession game sounds less racist.

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2014, 04:12:00 am »

Looking at this thread, I really want to run a "race wars" succession game. Er, maybe "species war" succession game sounds less racist.

Yeah, that happened. :)

Anyway, feedback on my experience using this mod:
* I notice the flavor text on starting an embark is strictly Dwarf only. I guess that's hardcoded in DF?
* I was disappointed that trolls can't be trained or assigned to goblins.
* Goblins can get great axes in embark and (I presume) make them, but it seems they can't actually use them. That could be a DF bug though.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 07:28:52 am by ptb_ptb »

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2014, 09:48:11 am »

* I notice the flavor text on starting an embark is strictly Dwarf only. I guess that's hardcoded in DF?
It's not, look at masterwork for a multi-racial example.
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

UnicodingUnicorn

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent at Incompetency.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2014, 11:05:13 am »

It's not, look at masterwork for a multi-racial example.
Masterwork uses a ton lot of scripts. I can vouch that the starting text is hard-coded. You need the localisation patch to change that.
I do stuff, I guess

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2014, 01:11:39 pm »

No, it's not, I saw it in I think the wasteland mod. You need some special tool to edit the files though.
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

than402

• Bay Watcher
  • DF2014:we all knew it was inevitable
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2014, 01:13:04 pm »

hey, i just finished a year with the elves. they lack lots of thing they shouldn't and i suggest taking a look at their entity and deciding which labors they should and shouldn't have, because as it is they look unfinished. but most of all, they need mechanisms and brewing: wells provide a constant negative thought if you don't have one, elven bases are quite vulnerable without a drawbridge and the lack of atom smashing means they can't dispose of unwanted items easily. and about brewing: why don't they have it? elven caravans come with booze, and having an additional way to turn plants to seeds (and to wood) would be nice. as it is now, elves are very hard to impossible to play on cold biomes or without a river.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2014, 08:53:27 am »

While playing as goblins in fortress mode, I made the startling discovery that they don't need to eat or drink to survive.  That means they are the perfect race to build megaconstructions!  They'd do that or slaughter everybody in the world (or both) just from pure boredom!
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2014, 03:23:55 am »

There's a lot of feedback and suggestions for the elves in the Species War thread.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14