Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14

Author Topic: [50.01] All Races Playable mod  (Read 120274 times)

Lovechild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[50.01] All Races Playable mod
« on: July 15, 2014, 06:46:18 pm »

The goal of this mod is simple: To let you play Fortress mode and Adventure mode with as many races as possible, while adding or changing as little as possible.

You can play Fortress mode as dwarves, humans, elves, or goblins.

When Adventure mode is added, you will be able to play as a dwarf, human, elf, goblin, kobold, or an animalman from above or below ground. A few basic adventurer crafting reactions have been added to make it easier to play as an outsider.

File download

If you use the file download, extract them into your mods folder.

About the races

Dwarves

These are the dwarves you know and love. They have access to steel, the strongest metal in the game (or is it?) and underground plants, but they require alcohol to get through the working day. Dwarves may occasionally be taken by strange moods and produce wondrous artifacts.

Humans

Humans are the race most similar to the dwarves, but they grow their plants above ground, and can't make steel. They are also not dependant on alcohol, and a few wells will be enough to keep them happy and productive.

Human lords and ladies can assign a great number of noble titles and official positions. The chancellor is responsible for espionage, but the rest have no game function (aside from making the title holder a bit happier).

Elves

The elves are very different from the other races, and are the most challenging to play. They do not mine, cut down trees, or farm; instead they rely entirely on gathering plants. Elves can grow wooden logs from seeds at a crafts workshop, and use these for anything they need to build or craft. Elves can keep just about any animals as pets; make sure to bring some interesting ones when you embark.

Elves have trouble removing constructed walls, floors, etc, as this is a job done by miners. If you really need to remove a construction, buy a pick from dwarven or human merchants, and enable the miner labor on one of your elves.

Goblins

Goblins do not need to eat or drink, so no food industry is strictly necessary in a goblin pit. They know nothing about alloys, and can't produce anything but base metals. But they have access to evil animals, which include ferocious monsters such as trolls and beak dogs.

Note that trolls need meat to eat and water to drink. They will also want clothes. To make clothes that a troll can wear, change the details of the clothesmaking task to size the clothes for polar bear men. This should make them large enough for trolls.

DF versions

This version of the mod is made for the Steam version, DF 0.50.01.

You can find versions of this mod for earlier versions here:

« Last Edit: December 16, 2022, 10:21:49 am by Lovechild »
All Races Playable Mod - Minimal mod to play as any race in DF - For 0.50.01

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.40.xx] All Races Playable mod
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 12:42:50 pm »

Thank you for this! I always at least add the ability to play humans...kinda wish the base game had all races playable by default.

What specific changes were made to each race? (if any)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 01:01:59 pm by dennislp3 »

Lovechild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 03:04:38 am »

Humans, elves and goblins have new nobles with about the same functions as the dwarven ones. Some evil animals have higher petvalues (eg. trolls don't cost 1 point to bring when embarking). Elves have several new reactions at the Craftsman's Workshop to make logs from seeds, and to make weapons and armor from logs. All races can play as outsiders in Adventure mode including underground animalpeople, and goblins and kobolds can play as regular adventurers.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 12:28:17 am »

this mod sounds interesting, not much cramped with content like others i see here, and mantains the vanilla feel, i like it, maybe you could add the following i you dont have it covered yet:

-goblin based animals could be processed: something i usually see is that they have Troll derived stuff, this could imply that Trolls are both trained for war and as livestock, the problem i see is that they seem to be sentient, or have the tag so i dont know if they could be processed for food.

-Kobolds could be added too, i dont know how a Kobold fort would work, but i bet they could use vermin and small animals for food, maybe use wooden stuff, its not like one gets stolen equipment anyways.

-Animal People: from the stock avaliable in the game, Animal People dont have civilization of their own, but the player could be the start, they can only produce basic stuff with wood, but can steal equipment from their enemies, the can make agriculture but depends heavily in their race, for example, Tigermen would be focused only in hunting and livestock, eggs included, and well drinks, this could be different for say, Capybara men which are just herbivores and as such would rely heavily in agriculture. all of them would be able to produce all the goods of course, for trading purposes of course.

from my point of view all races should depend in water and food, the difference is in the priorities, for example for dorfs is alcohol, for humans could be a mix, for elves vegetables (also they wouldnt have problem in eating humanoids as they seem to have cannibalistic tendencies, same for gobs), for goblins meat, for kobolds, kobolds would be all rounder like humans, but humans use agriculture, while kobolds seem to be more like hunter gatherers. or they have very basic stuff. as i said with animal men, racial background or specie should have an impact in the dietary requirements.

i dont see problem with the equipment limitations:

-elves == wood

-dorfs == all metals and components

-humans == mostly focused in bronze or steel, silver

-Goblins == iron and copper (from what one can gather of sieges it seems their preferred materials)

-Kobolds == wood (they dont have metallurgy and rely in stuff obtained from kills)

-Animal People == wood (not really developed for metal use, but can use stolen equipment)

NOTE: oh, and dont forget we have shell and bone armor (kinda, shell armor doesnt really exist right now, but the rest of the set does), you could add that for non metal based races, it could make them a bit more competent. (elves, kobolds and animal people should be able to use that too) leather armor is always an option too.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 12:31:50 am by xaritscin »

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 07:05:04 pm »

-Kobolds could be added too, i dont know how a Kobold fort would work, but i bet they could use vermin and small animals for food, maybe use wooden stuff, its not like one gets stolen equipment anyways.
You might want to take a look at Kobold camp. And the Masterwork version
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

Vorox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 04:47:38 am »

Thank you for the mod, I always wanted this
Vorox likes gremlins for their tears.

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, 09:59:33 am »

Would you say that the other races are as complete feeling as dwarves?

eharper256

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Nep-Nep Fanboy
    • View Profile
    • Detarame
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2014, 02:45:43 am »

This doesn't appear to work in 40.10, sadly, which is a shame as there was an awesome looking goblin civ in a world I wanted to play.  :'(

EDIT: Working for me now in 40.16 with the new version. Strange; but nevertheless, good job!
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 04:39:04 am by eharper256 »
"If the world's a stage, and the people actors, then who the f**k has my script!?"
Community Fort "Lakebones"
My Games & Anime Blog, Detarame

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
  • or megadorf.....megaelf?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2014, 01:17:52 am »

worked fine for me, although i installed it, then genned a quick test world and was able to embark as some dirty stinkin cool elves
Tales of the Third Age, 34.11 rp stories from Genesis Reborn

“Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place. And stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

-Deadhouse Gates (Book 2 in the Malazan Book of the Fallen) by Steven Erikson

Lovechild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.40.11+] All Races Playable mod
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2014, 02:43:32 pm »

This mod has been updated for 40.11! It is just about the same as before, but the mod now includes Toady's changes to the entity file (eg. the elven diplomat).

Download

Would you say that the other races are as complete feeling as dwarves?
The dwarves are probably still the most complex race, though the other races have some features the dwarves don't.

This doesn't appear to work in 40.10, sadly, which is a shame as there was an awesome looking goblin civ in a world I wanted to play.  :'(
Did you install the mod before you genned the world? Otherwise it won't work.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2014, 04:37:16 pm »

To keep things thematic, have you considered adding a syndrome triggered by cave adaptation in humans that makes them go blind? That way the player if forced to make a surface fort instead of having a dwarf fort mysteriously populated by those tall semi-beards.

panstach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2014, 05:37:14 am »

Goblins seem to be too small to use battle axes and cut trees.

RoguelikesESP

• Bay Watcher
  • The english is NOT my native language. Sorry.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2014, 10:27:23 am »

Oh gosh YES! Thank you! Thank you very much for making this one, I was waiting for something like this.

Lovechild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.40.16+] All Races Playable mod
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2014, 07:11:14 am »

Here is an update for DF 0.40.16! Now with glorious stepladders!

Download

Justinlc91

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.40.16+] All Races Playable mod
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2014, 01:39:42 pm »

Very happy to have found this mod but I'm having some trouble with it. Maybe I can get some insight please?

When I first used the mod it worked fine, I had a Goblin Fortress started. I turned on a different graphic with the LNP and still had a Goblin team. I deleted that Fortress because I didn't spend any points (just wanted to check if the mod worked) but now I can't use any other Civ besides Dwarves.
I turned off the graphics mod and tried to load it with vanilla settings like before but it still doesn't work.

Using 40.15 LNP with Soundsense utility, nothing else.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14